Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #1

help please

i have a new pentax kx when im shooting in dark places the video comes out very bad is there any setting i could change to make night videos come out better??

03-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by whoa14 Quote
i have a new pentax kx when im shooting in dark places the video comes out very bad is there any setting i could change to make night videos come out better??
Without knowing what setting you are using, it would be impossible to say if there is a better one or not. The simple answer is that if you are shooting a max aperture, max ISO, and slowest shutter speed allowable and the video is still dark, then there simply isn't enough light. I have little experience with video, but I would think the first thing to try in low light would be higher ISO as the noise would be less noticeable than with stills as you are looking at each frame for only 1/30th of a second at a time and the exact noise pattern changes with each frame.
04-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #3

What do you mean by bad? Are you having focusing issues or is it just too dark? My hunch is that your videos come out too "noisy"?
04-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whoa14 Quote
Welcome to the forums whoa14!
We really don't know how dark the dark places you are shooting or what type of night video.
If it is totally night without any light source then I would say you will really have a difficult time with it.
Even videographers and and filmakers use some sort of light to assist their shots.
For movies, those night shots are not really dark, they just make it seem like it is dark.
There are even shots that are cheated that are called "day for night"..meaning, they shoot during the day but make it appear (with camera settings) like it was shot during the night.