Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
Treat any original image file as if it were your only neg of the image. It's valuable.
Maybe yours are, but not mine.
Well OK, it's potentially valuable.

Well OK, it's a POS, but maybe it can be saved.

Well OK, it's a POS, and you might as well flush it now.

Well OK, it's a POS, they're all shite. Might as well burn the camera now, and the computer, and the house, and shoot the dog, and drive to Washington with a car full of propane tanks and Chicken McNuggets and M80's, and try to go out with a bang. Think of it as atonement for failing in life, in photography, in all things great and small. Admit that it's all been a waste. Get out while the getting's good.

Or maybe they can be fixed in PP. There's always hope.

04-16-2010, 05:55 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
You can also think of it in music terms, jpeg is an mp3 while the music is there and it may sound great, it is a lossy compression. Meaning that to compress the file you have to lose some information.

A live musical performance like RAW is lossless, meaning you are getting all the music at all frequencies and keeping all the data that makes up the sound/image. Now consider if you want to modify something, you have much more opportunity to make changes if you have all the data.

That probably made things worse sorry.
Good analogy.
04-16-2010, 06:30 AM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Well OK, it's potentially valuable.
Might as well burn the camera now, and the computer, and the house, and shoot the dog,
I would have to get a dog first.

Can I shoot my cockatiel instead?
04-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are trying to do very much PP on a jpeg, it is like trying to follow a recipe without having all of the ingredients available.

04-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #20
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If you are trying to do very much PP on a jpeg, it is like trying to follow a recipe without having all of the ingredients available.
If you only knew how many times I've done that.
04-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I would have to get a dog first.

Can I shoot my cockatiel instead?
None dare call it Chicken Pot Pie.

Hey, I like my old pictures. Even the crappy ones. Maybe ESPECIALLY the crappy ones. Just more raw material for the shooping machine. I learn more shooping tricks, I go back and fix'em some more. A couple days ago I fixed a lens so that it's practically useless, but pix ain't like that, as long as I don't try to fix the originals. If nothing else, I can always posterize them, add bulls-eye rings, and use them for dart boards. Oh yeah, there's that pic of the car with papier-mache prostheses that made it look like a dragon. Hey, here's that self-portrait of my size-18 foot. And that close-up of an ear. Yeah, I know where to aim the darts.
04-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As said with other members shooting in RAW as it pros and cons. For the pros of shooting is RAW you are getting everything the sensor sees so there is no data loss and you will be able to edit a RAW file much easier than if you were to use JPEG. Another good fact about RAW is that the image quality will also be better then JPEG because you once again are not compressing the image at all. However, there are cons to RAW files as well. One is taking up the amount of space on your memory card; since RAW files are uncompressed they take much more room then the compressed JPEG file. Another con for this file type is that you need photo software that can read the file. On my computer Windows picture viewer will not display a RAW file so I had to buy adobe lightroom in order to read and work on my files. However, I wanted the software anyway since I love to edit my photos so that was not a major problem for me. However, if you just want to shoot and go and donít want to edit your photos at all I would recommend that you just shoot in JPEG.