Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 08:59 AM   #1

lens ?

New to SLR but I now own a Pentax K-X. Friend has Pentax K-1000 film camera with 28-70 3.5/4.8 lens and 70-200 4.0/5.6 also 2 flashes and some filters he wants to sell for $100. Would this be something to consider?

03-31-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can check the lenses out: Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - Main Index It also contains average prices so you can check if the price is fair.

Be careful with the flashes as the voltages might be to high and blow your Kx. Read up on trigger voltage and check the flashes against it; you might always be able to use them wireless.

Not knowing the exact lenses makes advise a bit difficult, but I don't think that I would not hesitate. And in your shoes, it gives you some extra flexibility as well, even if the lenses are not the very best that money can buy (as said, I don't know). At least you will get experience with different focal lengths.

Note that those are probably manual focus lenses.

PS Welcome to the club

Last edited by sterretje; 03-31-2010 at 09:15 AM.
03-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lottolearn Quote
New to SLR but I now own a Pentax K-X. Friend has Pentax K-1000 film camera with 28-70 3.5/4.8 lens and 70-200 4.0/5.6 also 2 flashes and some filters he wants to sell for $100. Would this be something to consider?
It's something to consider. If these lenses are Takumar-A lenses I don't know that I would go $100. Inspect them carefully, make sure there is no zoom creep (best discovered if the zoom ring feels sloppy), the focus is nicely damped feeling, etc. If they are Aftermarket lenses (3rd party) beware of the Ricoh Pin (do a search on the forum) before mounting any of them on your camera. The flashes may or may not be usable on your Kx. Look for corrosion in the battery compartments. Of course if they work and you want to play with radio triggers, these cheapo flashes can be a great way to go. If you want to Use or resell the K1000, make sure the meter works, no rust inside, etc. Chances are pretty good that the seals will need to be replaced. That's something you can do yourself if desired as you can buy seal kits off of ebay.

Buying used kits is a great way to build up your arsenal if you know what you're looking for and at. The lens and camera databases here are pretty extensive and informative. Use them to your advantage.

Good luck and welcome.

03-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
lens

Thanks for all the information. The 28-70mm lens is a tokina SD , 52 and one flash is P536TLC5. Not finding a brand on the 70-200mm. with cable to use with a tripod. Will continue to research before buying.

03-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

For 3rd party lenses: PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - Main Index

The tokina? PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - MF 28-70mm. f3.5-4.5. SZ-X 270 SD

PS I see that I made a mistake in my previous post
QuoteQuote:
.... , but I don't think that I would not hesitate.
That should be 'I think that I would not hesitate'