Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #1

How good/important is distortion feature in the K-x?

Hi there,

My first post: I'm looking to get back into SLR photography after a number of years, and I'm looking at the K-x, and a tele zoom.

I was about set on the Sigma 70-300mm APO Marco - since I'd like to have a 1:2 macro ability.

However I came about this feature (dpreview.com) 'Distortion and chromatic aberration correction for DA and DFA lenses (also available in RAW conversion when using supplied software)'

Does that mean that neither the camera nor the SilkyPix could do this with the Sigma lens?

How big of a “feature” is that, and how well works this correction?

Should I rather go with the DA 55-300 lens as part of the kit, and then eventually get a real prime macro lens?

Thoughts?

Thanks Peter

03-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax isn't going to support advanced features such as distortion correction for third party glass. It isn't realistic to expect them to, since these lenses take sales dollars away from them.
If you want the best that your camera has to offer, then use the lenses that are made for it by the camera maker.
There are third party software solutions for this stuff, so I don't know how important it is to have it built in, and it isn't a feature that I use anyway, which might tell you something about how important I think it is.
03-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

anyone and everyone will tell you to get a 55-300 and a true macro lens if money isn't an issue. The Sigma and Tamron lens are good but they are far from perfect. I own on those Sigma 70-300mm lens and it's good up to the 200mm range and they it's only good at the 300mm range.
03-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 2:1 quasimacro feature on the 70-300's is nothing to write home about. You can get much more magnification (better than 1:1) and results that are at least as good using a $50 Raynxo 150 on the 55-300 or any other telephoto lens tht doens't have a "macro" feature.

04-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Marc - I might give it a try with a macros conversion lens.

Peter
« Bulb | 645 »