Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
My wife carries the laptop, but at 16, you probably shouldn't consider acquiring a wife.

As long as you're prepared, flying is OK. Usually the worst thing is just a long delay somewhere, but if you have your camera, you can take pictures.
Haha, no I shouldn't! but... I have gotten a good suggestion. There was a type of portable hard drive that has a SD card port where you can just directly copy all of it's contents into the hard drive. Pretty neat. No computer needed. I'm liking that idea already.

EDIT: Wow, RioRico sounds prepared! He's like survival man, but with a PENTAX!

04-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #17
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Hey, I only lived with the hippie Chassidic commune (HLP) for a few months and didn't get any spelling lessons. Yeah, I was the house goy. I did stuff on Shabbas. They had a very holy car; it didn't run on Shabbas. Didn't run most of the rest of the week either, which is why I was handy to have around. L'chaim.

PS: Old saying - "It is an unimaginative person who can think of only one way to spell a word."
HAH!!! GREAT STORY!!!

You need a house goy to turn off the lights on Shabbas when you're not allowed to, and don't want to waste electricity.
04-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
I have gotten a good suggestion. There was a type of portable hard drive that has a SD card port where you can just directly copy all of it's contents into the hard drive. Pretty neat. No computer needed. I'm liking that idea already.
The downside is, then you don't have a computer. Computers are good to have. Computers are our friends. A little itsy bitsy 10-inch minilaptops with disc-burning drive. I met a Korean guy in language school in Antigua Guatemala. (One-on-one tutoring, room & board, US$175 per week - and that was the expensive school.) He was taking a year to circle the globe, staying a month or so in different places. He had a tiny Samsung mini, must have had a 8 inch screen and a burner and the best WiFi reception around. That and a Samsung superzoom P&S. Travel light, eh?

QuoteQuote:
EDIT: Wow, RioRico sounds prepared! He's like survival man, but with a PENTAX!
Hay, travel cheap a while, get pockets picked, get churning gutz, get detained by insurgents (demands for money, death threats, etc), dodge burning barricades, miss some great shots, listen closely to tales told by Old Hands -- learn. Hopefully the negatives are only suffered once. Learn how to maintain some control over the immediate situation, which often means leaving. It's no worse than learning not to play in heavy traffic. Once you get the groove down, it's easy and fun.

And sometimes my 5mpx Sony P&S beats the Pentax with the 10-17, 18-250, 50/1.4 kit. Like, for being unobtrusive and THERE. And sometimes it's best to keep the camera bagged. Like, when armed unfriendlies are nearby. And sometimes that little 500mm mirror is just the thing. Like, for staying a safe distance from the action. And sometimes the collapsible kite is just right for making friends.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
You need a house goy to turn off the lights on Shabbas when you're not allowed to, and don't want to waste electricity.
Hay, I just thought of something. Now exist motion-sensing switches, essentially robots. If you walk in and out of rooms and the robot switches the lights on and off, are you working? Oh, and if Friday afternoon you set your Pentax to Catch-In-Focus, and the drive mode to continuous; and just before sunset, you plug a jack into the remote socket, so the camera fires totally on its own; and you carry it around without touching the shutter, just letting the camera robot take its own pictures -- are you working?

Last edited by RioRico; 04-02-2010 at 09:46 AM.
04-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Hay, travel cheap a while, get pockets picked, get churning gutz, get detained by insurgents (demands for money, death threats, etc), dodge burning barricades, miss some great shots, listen closely to tales told by Old Hands -- learn. Hopefully the negatives are only suffered once. Learn how to maintain some control over the immediate situation, which often means leaving. It's no worse than learning not to play in heavy traffic. Once you get the groove down, it's easy and fun.

And sometimes my 5mpx Sony P&S beats the Pentax with the 10-17, 18-250, 50/1.4 kit. Like, for being unobtrusive and THERE. And sometimes it's best to keep the camera bagged. Like, when armed unfriendlies are nearby. And sometimes that little 500mm mirror is just the thing. Like, for staying a safe distance from the action. And sometimes the collapsible kite is just right for making friends.


Sounds dangerous ;(

04-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:



Hay, I just thought of something. Now exist motion-sensing switches, essentially robots. If you walk in and out of rooms and the robot switches the lights on and off, are you working? Oh, and if Friday afternoon you set your Pentax to Catch-In-Focus, and the drive mode to continuous; and just before sunset, you plug a jack into the remote socket, so the camera fires totally on its own; and you carry it around without touching the shutter, just letting the camera robot take its own pictures -- are you working?
Some Jew-goy you are:

The restriction here isn't about working. It's about igniting or extinguishing a flame, where has since been interpreted to mean a SPARK. Also the reason driving is forbidden on the Sabbath.

Damn those spark plugs and the internal combustion engine!
04-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Sounds dangerous ;(
No worse than driving through Los Angeles on surface streets, and eating at local diners. Actually, the insurgents were pretty cheap -- the ransom was 80 pesos (US$7.20).

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
The restriction here isn't about working. It's about igniting or extinguishing a flame, where has since been interpreted to mean a SPARK. Also the reason driving is forbidden on the Sabbath. Damn those spark plugs and the internal combustion engine!
Cameras spark too. I've seen them. Especially flashes. Anyway, that was a commune of hippy Chassids around San Francisco, and the rules were interesting. Singing and dancing yes, guitars and pliers no. Or so I recall. Hey, it was the 60s. Like Robin Williams said, "If you can remember the 60s, you weren't really there." I mean, we didn't stop with just Carmel wine, if you catch my drift.
04-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
No worse than driving through Los Angeles on surface streets, and eating at local diners. Actually, the insurgents were pretty cheap -- the ransom was 80 pesos (US$7.20).
I did that during the summer! and dammm Denny's made me too dam full!
04-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #23
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Hey, it was the 60s. Like Robin Williams said, "If you can remember the 60s, you weren't really there." I mean, we didn't stop with just Carmel wine, if you catch my drift.
Those were the days--seriously.

04-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,107
Since the first of the year, I have been doing quite a bit of traveling, and I have taken a camera of some sort along each time. I have two setups that I use... each based on Lowepro's CompuDaypack.

Lowepro - CompuDaypack

1) K20, 12-24, 16-45, 31 Ltd and 55-300 in the backpack along with a netbook (HP mini) and a work laptop (Dell 14"), mouse and chargers [possible firing violation for viewing this forum on a company machine], business papers, cellphone and charger, pens, pencils, LED flashlight, badge, passport, travel papers, Allen wrench (for ball head) and panning ball head (very light - acratech GP). Carry on luggage, clothes, light travel tripod. Third item of luggage CPAP machine (allowed since its medical equipment - I am an old geezer and it keeps me breathing and not croaking at night).

2) With the planes flying at 100% full, I have been just taking the K20, 31 Ltd, all of the above however packing the CPAP in the bottom compartment of the backpack and ditching the third carryon (CPAP stuff in the carryon luggage)

I came across this interesting item the other day, that I just might just consider. Thinking about finding a very cheap "starter pistol" and checking my carryon - since the TSA and airline will make sure that it will not be tampered with...

Schneier on Security: Expensive Cameras in Checked Luggage

Right Truth: Pack a gun, keep your luggage safe!

However, I have no idea how a foreign country would view the "starter pistol"...

04-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Since the first of the year, I have been doing quite a bit of traveling, and I have taken a camera of some sort along each time. I have two setups that I use... each based on Lowepro's CompuDaypack.

Lowepro - CompuDaypack

1) K20, 12-24, 16-45, 31 Ltd and 55-300 in the backpack along with a netbook (HP mini) and a work laptop (Dell 14"), mouse and chargers [possible firing violation for viewing this forum on a company machine], business papers, cellphone and charger, pens, pencils, LED flashlight, badge, passport, travel papers, Allen wrench (for ball head) and panning ball head (very light - acratech GP). Carry on luggage, clothes, light travel tripod. Third item of luggage CPAP machine (allowed since its medical equipment - I am an old geezer and it keeps me breathing and not croaking at night).

2) With the planes flying at 100% full, I have been just taking the K20, 31 Ltd, all of the above however packing the CPAP in the bottom compartment of the backpack and ditching the third carryon (CPAP stuff in the carryon luggage)

I came across this interesting item the other day, that I just might just consider. Thinking about finding a very cheap "starter pistol" and checking my carryon - since the TSA and airline will make sure that it will not be tampered with...

Schneier on Security: Expensive Cameras in Checked Luggage

Right Truth: Pack a gun, keep your luggage safe!

However, I have no idea how a foreign country would view the "starter pistol"...

I see... 55-300...

Would a paintball gun count?
04-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #26
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
1) K20, 12-24, 16-45, 31 Ltd and 55-300 in the backpack along with a netbook (HP mini) and a work laptop (Dell 14"), mouse and chargers [possible firing violation for viewing this forum on a company machine], business papers, cellphone and charger, pens, pencils, LED flashlight, badge, passport, travel papers, Allen wrench (for ball head) and panning ball head (very light - acratech GP). Carry on luggage, clothes, light travel tripod. Third item of luggage CPAP machine (allowed since its medical equipment - I am an old geezer and it keeps me breathing and not croaking at night).
That is indeed a bit of a load. Re clothes: A few years ago I switched from 'natural' fibres to lightweight synthetics. They pack smaller, wear longer, wash+dry faster, and you're less susceptible to hypothermia if caught in a storm. Just stay away from campfires.

QuoteQuote:
However, I have no idea how a foreign country would view the "starter pistol"...
Most will not be happy at all, at all. I can't imagine flying (or even driving) into Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, with a firearm in my luggage. Canada might just put me on an immediate return flight. Our southern neighbors would likely be less polite.
04-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
I don't want to start a new thread on this so... what type of bag should I bring to carry my camera stuff that would quality for carry-on?
04-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #28
Senior Member
Itai's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 211
The answer is 42

Seriously, this is entire personal and while you can learn from any answer, it probably won't be _your_ answer. Why? Because we photograph different subjects in different situations and have different comfort levels.

You got to first think of how much you are willing to carry. The modes of transportation you plan on using can have an influence on this. Once you have an idea, in weight or volume, consider each item in turn.

At one extreme, I had a single camera with a single lens and single flash memory. Each day I shot all that I wanted and in the hotel edited down to 30 from that day by connecting the camera to the TV since the 1.5" LCD was too small too judge anything. At the time, the 4 GB card lasted me 6 months (work out the math to find out the size of my images 10 years ago
Actually on that trip I also used disposable film cameras for when I went alone to the beach and in dangerous areas like Manila. This is the light, moving around in foreign places solution.

At the other extreme, I've taken 4 cameras (2 DSLR, 1 high-end compact and 1 water-proof digital camera) and a portable DVD-burner. If you want absolute security, you need at least a backup camera and enough backup lenses to cover most of your photography, make sure you have backup chargers and batteries because those can fry too. You also need a DVD burner (either part of the laptop or portable one). You need to keep burning disks as you fill up cards and keep one or two copies with yourself and mail one copy to yourself (or family) back home. This prevents the case where you lose everything such as if you are robbed on on the way to or from an airport (sadly I know one person who this happened to).

Chances are your solution will probably be in the middle somewhere. If you go anywhere where safety is an issue make your bag is comforable to carry in fron of you. Shoulder bags are ideal for that but can be tiresome if you do a lot of hiking.

- Itai
Neoluminance | Fine Art Photography by Itai Danan
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, pentax help, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Considering this setup for travelling light elpolodiablo Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 17 04-21-2010 02:51 PM
Greetings from a Travelling Canuck libbyh Welcomes and Introductions 3 09-18-2009 01:37 PM
Travelling through Germany... maxwell1295 Post Your Photos! 37 02-24-2009 04:46 AM
another travelling lens? gokenin Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 4 01-09-2009 10:50 AM
Which camera do you use travelling? emr Photographic Technique 44 12-02-2008 09:17 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top