Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Travelling?

Okay, so you're traveling to some part of asia... (or any other place). You are planning to take pictures... with a DSLR. What should you bring? more than 2 SD cards? how would you be able to store pictures to... computer or harddrives? How many lenses would you bring? How light are you going to carry? Sling, Messenger, or Back pack? How can we bring a tri-pod? You are going to be going there by flight. Are there any precautions you should take?

03-31-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

In my opinion, your questions really depend on what your going to be doing while you travel. If

1) Your going for business. I say pack light. One good zoom lens. 2 SD cards, sling bag
2) Friends and Family. Pack one all around lens and one specialized lens either a fast lens for indoors or a super long telephoto one. 1 big SD card.
3) By yourself. Pack a good variety of lens not necessarily a zoom lens. As many SD cards as your greedy fingers can hold.

This really depend on the situation. Business trips often are very busy and you wont have plenty of time to play around. While if you are with friends or family, you don't want to be the one holding everyone back switching around lens. If you are by yourself you have more time to play around and if you take 1/2 hour in one location you take 1/2 hour no worries.

Atleast thats what I think. Hope that helps.
03-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't want much, eh? When I fly to India to wander around for a few months (if ever - I hear I can stay in Kerala for US$5 per day) I'll take my K20D and (assuming I get an inheritance) a couple WR lenses. Without an inheritance, it's the DA10-17 and DA18-250 and FA50/1.4 and Nikkor 85/2. And some old M42 Taks (28/2.8, 135/2.8, maybe 200/5.6) and macro tubes.

I'll take a mini-tripod, and batteries and charger, and TWO 16gb cards, and a sensor cleaning kit. I'll take my AF-360 flash (but not the ringflash), and AA NiMh batteries and charger for that and the Icom IC-R2 commo receiver and flashlights etc. I'll take my IR-capable P&S cams, and their filters & batteries & chargers & cards, and a tiny Canon 35mm film P&S for backup. (Lots of that photo gear, I mostly carry in my Ameribag anyway.)

I'll take my old Sony Vaio 10-inch WiFi mini-laptop with an upgraded DVD-burner drive. I'll take my Zoom PS-02 4-channel ministudio and a couple tiny mics for sound recording. I won't take a guitar; I'll find something disposable there. I won't take my 6x6 or 6x9 folders. Darn. Well, maybe just the 6x9. I'll take my Leatherman and minitools, and paper notepad, and calculator, and pills & hand sanitizer & bottled water & Pepto tabs & toilet paper, and a really loud whistle.

Precautions: Tripod and chargers can go in checked bags; EVERYTHING ELSE STAYS WITH ME, ALWAYS. My Ameribag has a steel cable looped through the strap and body, to foil strap-slashers. All the good stuff is in interior pockets in the Ameribag, to foil bag-slashers. Nothing important is in outside pockets. I avoid jostling crowds. I carry a collapsible Trek walking staff that doubles as a monopod and cudgel. I am polite to police and troops and old ladies. I learned my lessons in Central America, but the principles should apply everywhere. Have fun!

EDIT: Maybe I'll skip the Nikkor, and the Tak 55/1.8 and macro tubes, just put a Raynox DCR-250 on the FA50 and T135 instead. But everything else goes. Oh, I forgot to mention the kite. I always carry a collapsible kite. Always. And a string bag, a bandanna, and a measuring tape. One never knows...

Last edited by RioRico; 03-31-2010 at 09:47 PM.
04-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
For major outings like this, I would take everything I own and also everything I could borrow.

Don't take any clothes, it would mean giving up some camera kit, in terms of weight allowances.

04-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
You are going to be going there by flight. Are there any precautions you should take?
I always have the camera stuff in my carry-on; I don't trust it in checked luggage. That means conforming to the size and weight limits, which vary by country or airline. My camera bag can hold at least 10 pounds of gear, which means I have taken more stuff than I'll use.

Security likes to change the rules, and they don't like losing arguments. Pack so that the camera gear can be removed for inspection. Don't mention that your DSLR can do video. Extra batteries should be in original packaging or some kind of container, though they will not always care. The equipment won't hurt your SD cards or camera.

I've never tried to bring a tripod. Some planes can't fit long stuff in the overhead bins. I would consider checking a tripod or putting it in a checked bag.
04-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:

I've never tried to bring a tripod. Some planes can't fit long stuff in the overhead bins. I would consider checking a tripod or putting it in a checked bag.
I have a pretty long monopod that I fear will resemble on of these banned carry-on items:

Carry On - Checked
Billy Clubs No Yes
Black Jacks No Yes
Brass Knuckles No Yes
Kubatons No Yes
Self Defense Sprays - One 4 ounce (118ml) container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge. Self Defense Sprays containing more than 2% by mass of Tear Gas (CS or CN) are prohibited in Checked Baggage. No Yes
Martial Arts Weapons No Yes
Night Sticks No Yes

I'm putting it in checked baggage...
04-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
In my opinion, your questions really depend on what your going to be doing while you travel. If

1) Your going for business. I say pack light. One good zoom lens. 2 SD cards, sling bag
2) Friends and Family. Pack one all around lens and one specialized lens either a fast lens for indoors or a super long telephoto one. 1 big SD card.
3) By yourself. Pack a good variety of lens not necessarily a zoom lens. As many SD cards as your greedy fingers can hold.

This really depend on the situation. Business trips often are very busy and you wont have plenty of time to play around. While if you are with friends or family, you don't want to be the one holding everyone back switching around lens. If you are by yourself you have more time to play around and if you take 1/2 hour in one location you take 1/2 hour no worries.

Atleast thats what I think. Hope that helps.
Okay... let me give a proper specification of my trip. I will be going to Vancouver for a couple of days for a wedding. Then I will got to Malaysia for 1 week. I assume there are going to be many pictures being taken.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Don't want much, eh? When I fly to India to wander around for a few months (if ever - I hear I can stay in Kerala for US$5 per day) I'll take my K20D and (assuming I get an inheritance) a couple WR lenses. Without an inheritance, it's the DA10-17 and DA18-250 and FA50/1.4 and Nikkor 85/2. And some old M42 Taks (28/2.8, 135/2.8, maybe 200/5.6) and macro tubes.

I'll take a mini-tripod, and batteries and charger, and TWO 16gb cards, and a sensor cleaning kit. I'll take my AF-360 flash (but not the ringflash), and AA NiMh batteries and charger for that and the Icom IC-R2 commo receiver and flashlights etc. I'll take my IR-capable P&S cams, and their filters & batteries & chargers & cards, and a tiny Canon 35mm film P&S for backup. (Lots of that photo gear, I mostly carry in my Ameribag anyway.)

I'll take my old Sony Vaio 10-inch WiFi mini-laptop with an upgraded DVD-burner drive. I'll take my Zoom PS-02 4-channel ministudio and a couple tiny mics for sound recording. I won't take a guitar; I'll find something disposable there. I won't take my 6x6 or 6x9 folders. Darn. Well, maybe just the 6x9. I'll take my Leatherman and minitools, and paper notepad, and calculator, and pills & hand sanitizer & bottled water & Pepto tabs & toilet paper, and a really loud whistle.

Precautions: Tripod and chargers can go in checked bags; EVERYTHING ELSE STAYS WITH ME, ALWAYS. My Ameribag has a steel cable looped through the strap and body, to foil strap-slashers. All the good stuff is in interior pockets in the Ameribag, to foil bag-slashers. Nothing important is in outside pockets. I avoid jostling crowds. I carry a collapsible Trek walking staff that doubles as a monopod and cudgel. I am polite to police and troops and old ladies. I learned my lessons in Central America, but the principles should apply everywhere. Have fun!

EDIT: Maybe I'll skip the Nikkor, and the Tak 55/1.8 and macro tubes, just put a Raynox DCR-250 on the FA50 and T135 instead. But everything else goes. Oh, I forgot to mention the kite. I always carry a collapsible kite. Always. And a string bag, a bandanna, and a measuring tape. One never knows...
Yeah... what I'm most worried about is people stealing my stuffs ;(. My laptop is pretty big... 14"... compared to the 10". I'm also very worried about getting on the flight and such.

I don't have much currently so I can't really bring an all around lens or anything. GAHHHH CURSE YOU THIEVES! Yeah Bandanna might be nice. Whats a collapsible kite? and... recommend me a portable tripod or one that might fit in luggage... and can be carried around well?

04-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't have much currently so I can't really bring an all around lens or anything. GAHHHH CURSE YOU THIEVES! Yeah Bandanna might be nice. Whats a collapsible kite? and... recommend me a portable tripod or one that might fit in luggage... and can be carried around well?
Collapsible kite is just that -- it folds (including string & yoke) down to about the size of a thick calculator. If no all-around lens, a 18-55 kit and a cheap 135/2.8 will take you far, and a Fast Fifty. My light 'pod is a Velbon PH-237Q. That'll have to go in a checked bag. I also carry a small mini-tripod/clamp which is endlessly useful on tables, fences, or just as a makeshift grip. And really, a string bag is much better than schlepping a few crappy PVC bags when you've bought some stuff, any stuff.
04-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Co And really, a string bag is much better than schlepping a few crappy PVC bags when you've bought some stuff, any stuff.
I can't believe you misspelled "shlepping."

Oy:

You goyam!
04-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I can't believe you misspelled "shlepping."

Oy:

You goyam!
Hey, I only lived with the hippie Chassidic commune (HLP) for a few months and didn't get any spelling lessons. Yeah, I was the house goy. I did stuff on Shabbas. They had a very holy car; it didn't run on Shabbas. Didn't run most of the rest of the week either, which is why I was handy to have around. L'chaim.

PS: Old saying - "It is an unimaginative person who can think of only one way to spell a word."

Last edited by RioRico; 04-01-2010 at 07:24 PM.
04-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

When I spent 3 weeks in Italy last fall, my second most used piece of photo equipment was a 250GB Nexto eXtreme portable storage unit. At the end of each evening I would copy my SD cards onto that drive (card reader built into the device). I took over 3000 RAW images from my K-7 and had room for thousands more. A great investment to protect your most valuable asset, your images. When I got home, I just synch'd it up with my PC.

Have a great trip, Vancouver just brims with photo opportunities!

Edit: I also took along the Gorilla SLR Pod w/swivel head. Worked well when I had something solid to wrap it around.

Last edited by rormeister; 04-01-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: forgot portable tripod
04-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Okay, so you're traveling to some part of asia... (or any other place). You are planning to take pictures... with a DSLR. What should you bring? more than 2 SD cards? how would you be able to store pictures to... computer or harddrives? How many lenses would you bring? How light are you going to carry? Sling, Messenger, or Back pack? How can we bring a tri-pod? You are going to be going there by flight. Are there any precautions you should take?
I did a three week trip to south-east Asia recently and my setup worked pretty well (for me anyway).

I ditched the computer. Instead took a very small, tough portable hard-drive that runs off USB only.

Took a couple of good SD cards to use. Took a couple of slow old ones for backing up images. Would keep one set of images on hard-drive, and duplicate that onto SD cards and post them home to myself. Peace of mind in case my hard-drive ever got stolen.

Lenses I took two as that was all I had at the time.

Three camera batteries.

Didn't bother with a tripod as I never use one much anyway.

Took a sling-type backpack that wasn't an obvious camera bag full of nice gear. I always carry the camera in my hand anyway, but in busy urban areas/trains etc I locked the bag's zips together with a small padlock. The bag was always my flight carry on bag. Big enough to also squeeze in a light rain jacket and a book or drink bottle.
04-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...My laptop is pretty big... 14"... compared to the 10". I'm also very worried about getting on the flight and such.
My wife carries the laptop, but at 16, you probably shouldn't consider acquiring a wife.

As long as you're prepared, flying is OK. Usually the worst thing is just a long delay somewhere, but if you have your camera, you can take pictures.
04-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #14
Inactive Account

re: RioRico -
QuoteQuote:
I'll take my Leatherman
And that was never confiscated at the airport(s)?
04-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
re: RioRico -

>> I'll take my Leatherman

And that was never confiscated at the airport(s)?
It goes in a checked bag, along with tripod, hiking staff / monopod, chargers, minitools, tinwhistle / blowgun, jade dagger, etc. So far the only trouble I've had with checked luggage was a flight from San Francisco to Fairbanks AK when our bags containing winter clothes went to Fargo ND instead. In November. When the bags showed up a couple chilly days later they were torn to pieces but the contents were complete. F**king Alaska Airlines... And flying back to SFO from Guatemala City, I could have hand-carried the leatherman, jade dagger, machete, billy stick, venomous serpents et al, for all anyone cared. But yeah, potential weaponry gets checked.