Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

with the recent annoucement of the 645 i did a little research and came to found that there was one already before? like 645 I or something that was digital? the only question i had was why isnt it known to a lot of people such as the k20-2000d's and k10-1000d's. or does everyone know and i am just a newb? lol also, 9k for 40mp... is it really worth it? dont alot of proffessionals use 14- 20mp max? if they are higher mp cameras where can you find em?
thank you!

03-31-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
645D is the first MF digital camera produced by Pentax. Prior to this there a line of Pentax 645 film camera and even some 67 MF cameras.
The 645D has been announced a long time ago and the project has been delayed a few times.
Landscape professionals, for instance, love megapixels, that's why they use those big Hasselblad or Mamiya cameras. Have a look at The Luminous Landscape
04-01-2010, 05:00 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
oh i c, thanks ! for instance, what other type of photohraphers like a like of mp cameras?
04-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolee1990 Quote
oh i c, thanks ! for instance, what other type of photohraphers like a like of mp cameras?
Fashion photographers and photographers working in advertising who's images are being blown up very big like the detail medium format cameras allow them to capture.

04-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Fashion and advertising and landscape photographers have been mentioned. But anyone whose work will be printed LARGE wants something other than a little dSLR. See this article Pentax 645D -- First Impressions & Interview and note that at least one of the display prints looks to be a little under 2x3M (6.5x10 FEET) in size. And it's being looked at closely.

Anyone shooting photorealistic fine arts and/or posters, anything for big close-up display, needs larger formats. More than a few people still shoot medium- and large-format film, and some publications prefer or require such, because digital still can't match the resolution.

No, FF and MF and LF are NOT required for NON-photorealistic large prints. Some stuff I shot with a tiny 1mpx P&S (912x1216 pixels) has been blown up to 18x24 inches, and sold. But they were obviously NOT detailed images -- they were high-contrast and posterized and un-subtle, some were semi-abstracts, and they worked on those terms. But they were like cartoons, compared to a fine engraving. Some work just demands higher-than-consumer-level resolution.