Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

KX Lens question

I just bought a new KX and was looking at lenses on ebay. I found a lot of K mount stuff and was wondering about compatibility. I know that Pentax says they are usable, but will I need any adapters?? If I have to use one manually, that's no big deal. My Minolta used only manual lenses, and they were easy to use.

04-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If the lens is K-mount, no adapter is necessary.

Beware of K/R mount (Ricoh) lenses, as they may have a pin that will cause the lens to get stuck on Pentax cameras. This pin can be removed, however, and many of these lenses are worth using.

M42 lenses (42mm screw-mount) will need an M42->K adapter. I strongly recommend the genuine Pentax version of this adapter.

To use manual lenses on your K-x, you'll need to enable the "Using aperture ring" setting in the custom menu.
04-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the lens says Pentax it will work. Some third party lenses might have some trouble. There are a number of threads here about certain Vivitar lenses that have to be modified (with a dremel). If you want to use M42 screw mount Takumars you will need a converter. You have to be careful of certain Ricoh lenses and third party lenses designed for both Pentax and Ricoh. Google Ricoh P Pin.
04-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
See the sticky thread at the top of this forum on how to use manual lenses.

04-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You guys are awesome! Thanks for the info!!
04-02-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Pentax world! Virtually all old Pentax-type lenses are usable on your Kx, with the warnings noted above -- KR (Ricoh pin) and some very few Vivitars. There's an extensive and confusing nomenclature of Pentax-type glass, not surprising with 75 years of lenses available. They generally break down into:

- K-mount (bayonet), which may be modern autofocus, or older A-type (aperture automation) or M-type (manual aperture). These require slightly different techniques.

- M42 or screwmount, of which there are VAST supplies, some good, some not so. These require adapters, and some may be tricky to use, but you'll learn.

In these forums you'll find endless debate over the merits of adapters and lenses, various tricks and techniques for using manual glass, love and/or horror stories about specific lenses, etc. This place is like a never-ending seminar. Enjoy.

PS: Don't miss the lens review database. Just another treasure-trove...

PPS: Some may quibble over 75 years. My base point is the introduction of M42.