Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #16
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vote4Pedro Quote
Hey everyone, I am glad to have found this Pentax forum and be able to access the wealth of knowledge by its users! I am new to DSLRs, but after do many hours of online research, I have become very impressed with Pentax's reputation of quality and value compared to the competition. However, I am disappointed that I cannot find a Pentax retailer within the entire state! I'm the type that usually has to handle something before I buy it, but it seems impossible in this situation. My main uses for the camera are for patient dental photography, outdoor landscape photography (hiking, etc), traveling and family candids. So my questions are:

1) How important is the weather sealing / ruggedness of the K-7 vs. the K-x for extensive outdoor use?
2) Would the k-x iso quality be better for dental photography than the K-7? If so, is the K-x tough enough for prolonged every day use in a dental setting?
3) Knowing what I will use the the camera for, what would be the choice of lenses? I will probably need a ring flash too. What ring flash should I get?
You already got a lot of good advice.

WR is like an insurance. When you shoot outdoor, you know that you can take more risk with a WR system because it is less likely to fail. If you intend to do a lot of outdoor shooting, get a WR system. The K20D or K-7 with 18-55WR lens is the perfect start.

This being said, a recent thread (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/93367-k-7-steve-kr...gua-6962m.html) showed a professional photographer who took is K-7 and a non-WR lens to the Aconcagua. He used a K-7 together with a DA18-250mm that is not WR!

Personnally, I do a lot of outdoor. I am glad to have a WR camera, but my lenses are not WR. There was simply no WR lenses for the range I wanted. Practically I found that the camera body get a lot of crap, dust, water, and I do not have to worry much with the K-7: the body is rock-solid and well WR protected. I protect primarily my lenses (in fact the DA18-250mm mainly, because the Nokton is solid, basically WR).

Hope that the comment will help...