Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #1

Testing the camera

I have an ILX that I want to sell on ebay for a friend and want to test it first. I've put in new batteries into the motor drive. Do I need to replace anything else? Can I test it without film? Any help is greatly appreciated. I found a manual online but the details in the pictures are hard to see and it doesn't explain much.

04-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

The LX will not work in auto without film in the camera. It uses reflected light off the film for exposure control in auto. The LX is prone to a few problems, notably ISO resistor corrosion and aperture cam follower resistor corrosion, so if the exposure seems bouncy, it might be a good idea to exercise those two items to see if they can be cleaned up without replacing.
Also, the LX suffers from the very famout "sticky mirror" syndrome. If the camera sits for a day or so and then when a picture is taken the mirror is sluggish to respond, the camera has sticky mirror and needs to be serviced.

It's a great camera though. I have 3 of them and love each one.
04-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Wheatfield. I also discovered you have to take the motor drive off to replace another battery in the camera body. I hadn't realized it comes off.
04-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MsGilbert Quote
Thanks Wheatfield. I also discovered you have to take the motor drive off to replace another battery in the camera body. I hadn't realized it comes off.
If you have a motor, there are a couple of things you need to know.
There are two screw in plugs that go into the bottom of the LX, one is under the film spool, the other is under the take-up mechanism.
If you are going to use the camera without the drive in place, you need to have those plugs in place or else the camera isn't light tight.
The plugs screw into a couple of sockets in the motor drive itself for storage when the drive is mounted, so make sure you have them if you sell the motor separately.