Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

beginner K10D question.

Hey guys,

I've got my K10D body and while I am waiting for my lens to show up (FA 50 1.4) I'm trying to get used to the menu's and options. I understand a lot of things and don't understand a lot of other things, but here are a couple questions for you.

1. Is there a way to make the RAW button on the body cycle through all format types? Such as: jpeg to raw to raw+ then back to jpeg? Seems weird that it only cycles from Jpeg to Raw+, but skips basic raw. Am I missing a something? I want to be able to go back and forth between jpeg and raw and not deal with raw+.

2. Does the countinus button up by the command dial do anything beside bracketing when you hold it down? Can you change from single to continuous exposure mode with this button or only through the FN button?

3. What does the Auto EV adjust under the "multi exposure" section of the rec. mode do? little lost on this.

Thanks for your help guys!

07-17-2007, 12:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anthropas Quote
1. Is there a way to make the RAW button on the body cycle through all format types? Such as: jpeg to raw to raw+ then back to jpeg? Seems weird that it only cycles from Jpeg to Raw+, but skips basic raw. Am I missing a something? I want to be able to go back and forth between jpeg and raw and not deal with raw+.

Not between all three formats. As you know, this button will normally switch between RAW+ and JPEG. However, if you select "continue" under the "One-touch RAW + JPEG" option in the Custom menu, this button will switch between RAW (not RAW+) and JPEG.

QuoteQuote:
2. Does the countinus button up by the command dial do anything beside bracketing when you hold it down? Can you change from single to continuous exposure mode with this button or only through the FN button?

I think you mean the Exposure Bracketing button (directly above the word "MENU" on the back of the camera). If so, exposure bracketing is it's sole function. A dedicated button is desirable since exposure bracketing is so useful in tricky lighting situations. The only time this button will change behavior is when the built-in flash is activated or an external P-TTL flash is attached. In these situations, the button will vary the flash output, not the camera's settings.

QuoteQuote:
3. What does the Auto EV adjust under the "multi exposure" section of the rec. mode do? little lost on this.

As you know, multi-exposure allows you to layer multiple images onto a single image. Two or more images of yourself in the same photograph, for example. The "Auto EV Adjust" option automatically adds exposure compensation to each additional image to help avoid over-exposures and so on. It also attempts to blend the exposure level of each image with the previous ones. Since the exposure settings for multi-exposure is very tricky, don't expect miracles from this option. It is available simply to save you from the headaches of doing this yourself.

QuoteQuote:
Thanks for your help guys!

Don't forget the gals. We have some very dedicated and gifted female photographers here in this forum as well.

Anyway, hope all this helps some. Take care.

stewart
07-17-2007, 04:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good info there Stewart ... thanks for that ... has helped me understand it a bit better myself.