Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #1

Switching to black and white with a K-x?

Evidently I can't change a photo to B&W within the camera?

Can I shoot the original shot in B&W?

How can I change it with the disc/program that came with the camera, Digital camera utility 4?

thanks.

Last edited by osumason; 04-03-2010 at 02:45 PM.
04-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Evidently I can't change a photo to B&W within the camera?
Press Info, select "Custom Image" on the very top left, then choose "Monochrome". You can also tweak B&W output on that screen (like, digital filters, low/high key, et cetera)
04-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
and remember, those filters won't show up on your shot if you shoot raw. They only effect jpegs.
04-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
and remember, those filters won't show up on your shot if you shoot raw. They only effect jpegs.
True. In fact, B&W will show up as original, color file if you shoot RAW

04-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osumason Quote
How can I change it with the disc/program that came with the camera, Digital camera utility 4?
I assume you can influence saturation in DCU4; set it to 0 will give you BW
04-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I assume you can influence saturation in DCU4; set it to 0 will give you BW
There's more to it than that.

What you want to do Is shoot rgb, and then adjust each of those channels in monochrome mode in pp. Greater control of the image's dynamic range.

Until you convert to greyscale, you still have an rgb image that looks grey, so for real printing, you want to convert.
04-05-2010, 04:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't know if this applies to the Kx, but... on my K20D, saving RAW only, I can set Fn --> Custom Image --> BW/Monochrome --> Filter Effect= whatever (maybe Orange). The Mono+filter image is saved in the Jpeg thumbnail within the RAW file, so when I review the image in-camera or on-computer, I see the Mono version. When I 'develop' the image with PentaxPhotoLab, those are the default settings, but all the RGB data is still there, so I can render it however I want. If I've used an optical filter while shooting (often blue or cyan to get an actinic light / orthochromatic effect), I'll often set the Filter Effect accordingly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
What you want to do Is shoot rgb, and then adjust each of those channels in monochrome mode in pp. Greater control of the image's dynamic range. Until you convert to greyscale, you still have an rgb image that looks grey, so for real printing, you want to convert.
I just read the Wikipedia entry on Greyscale which says, for converting color to grayscale, to "add together 30% of the red value, 59% of the green value, and 11% of the blue value". Do you have any specific recommendations, Ira?
04-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

I just read the Wikipedia entry on Greyscale which says, for converting color to grayscale, to "add together 30% of the red value, 59% of the green value, and 11% of the blue value". Do you have any specific recommendations, Ira?
I use Photoshop, and different versions for the office and home. When you convert to greyscale with PS's shortcut, you just convert to greyscale, and I have no idea the values it uses to make the conversion. It just does it.

That's why I've used the channel mixer for a long while in monochrome mode, because you specify the exact values for each channel, in addition to being able to adjust brightness of each. (It's not a complicated window/process to use at all, although I might be making it sound that way.)

The values you gave might be correct for a totally neutral conversion to greyscale, but who the heck wants that? I want DRAMA!!! And depending on the colors in the subject matter, I don't see how one size can fit all anyway.

A final note is that your three channel values are supposed to add up to 100% (like yours did), but they actually don't have to--I'm usually over. I don't understand the theory on this, since you CAN go over and under on the percentages dramatically. Maybe it has to do about the search for the "perfect histogram."

And since nothing in my pictures is ever perfect, why should the histogram be any different?

I did a great shot this weekend of an old lady from an assisted living facility pushing a cart and with her dog leading on the leash. I'll upload that today and post before (rgb) and after in k.

04-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
For me, the custom image trick is a new thing haha, I normally just shoot in RAW and B&W it in Lightroom.