Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Don't waste your money on UV or Protector filters. Right after I took this picture, I took them off of ALL my lenses and that flare/ghosting went away. K10d, Sigma 17-70.

LOL his facial expression makes me laugh. Okays! C. Pol it is!

04-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I use the Cokin system, and no. Plus, even if you buy one standard screw-in polarizer that you have at the widest filter diameter of all your lenses, and buy cheap step-up rings for your other lenses, again...no.

For a 10mm maybe, but for standard wide angles, no problem.
I've seen the effect at 17 mm. It's not a particular of the filter system, and I'm not referring to vignetting caused by the filter's edge.

When a very large area of the sky is in the field of view, the polarizer's effect will not be uniform across the whole of the scene. The deepening of the sky's colour, in particular, will vary. It's especially true if the Sun is at an angle from you (about 90º from the axis of your lens is the worst).

I'm not talking about cutting reflections on water or deepening the colour of foliage, this will not really be affected by the focal length. But it WILL affect the sky's rendering. Test it and you will understand what I mean.
04-08-2010, 03:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hardly use my circ polarizer filter on my dslr, i used to use them alot when i used to shoot film, i dont know why but i dont like them on my dslr.
04-08-2010, 04:16 AM   #19

It always takes away some light and provides a certain modification of the colour (usually good for outdoors and skies).

Any other situation not a good idea to have it on I think. Judicious use it the word.

04-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #20

I know it was said above, but it bears repeating ANY time you put ANYthing between your lens and the subject of your photo you are degrading the photo. Every filter--skylight, polarizer, UV, whatEVER--will degrade the photo. Some will do so more than others. People will go out an buy an $800 lens and then put a crappy $10 UV filter in front of it and wonder why their photos are not as crisp and blame it on the camera or think they purchased a poor quality lens.
Circular Polarizers have their place and work wonders in reducing glare. They make water transparent, green leaves pop, and blue skies glorious, BUT should not be used to "protect" your lens. Get a lens hood to protect your lens.
04-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
I know it was said above, but it bears repeating ANY time you put ANYthing between your lens and the subject of your photo you are degrading the photo. Every filter--skylight, polarizer, UV, whatEVER--will degrade the photo. Some will do so more than others. People will go out an buy an $800 lens and then put a crappy $10 UV filter in front of it and wonder why their photos are not as crisp and blame it on the camera or think they purchased a poor quality lens.
Circular Polarizers have their place and work wonders in reducing glare. They make water transparent, green leaves pop, and blue skies glorious, BUT should not be used to "protect" your lens. Get a lens hood to protect your lens.
Got one now ;D but dust still goes on it! Dust is not my friend ;(. Thanks for the post.
04-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is an useful post..i have circular polarizer but was not 100% when to use it. Now i know i have to take it off . How do you know which one is good? Usually the price being higher indicates a better filter, or you could get also expensive crap?