Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Circular Polarizer

Quick question, are Circular Polarizers applicable to most photography? is there a time when you would not need one?

04-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't use indoors, or under heavy shade outdoors, although heavy cloud cover is okay,

Remember that you're losing a full stop or more, depending the filter.
04-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Don't use indoors, or under heavy shade outdoors, although heavy cloud cover is okay,

Remember that you're losing a full stop or more, depending the filter.
Ohs ... trying to find 1 filter for each lens... so yeah basically trying to find one for my kit lens and 50-300mm maybe... so that it would protect it (mainly from dust) that I would never have to take off.
04-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
THen you arent after a Polarizer (not that I know much) but I beleive you are after a UV or Skylight or 1A filter.... something like that...

04-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
THen you arent after a Polarizer (not that I know much) but I beleive you are after a UV or Skylight or 1A filter.... something like that...
Ohs ;/... ehh... I don't really know what to get now... ;P. There's something called a protector... and there's also the ones you mentioned!
04-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A polarizer does something different than a UV filter does. Most UV or Skylight filters are not needed and trying to use one to keep dust off the lenses isn't going to work either because you can get dust on the filter and still have to clean it.

A polarizer cuts glare on windows, and water and deepens blue skies.
04-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Ohs ;/... ehh... I don't really know what to get now... ;P. There's something called a protector... and there's also the ones you mentioned!
There is no actual photographic term 'Protector.'

If you are spending money on a good piece of filter glass, it may as well be a UV. If it is not, that is not a worry.

04-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
There is no actual photographic term 'Protector.'

If you are spending money on a good piece of filter glass, it may as well be a UV. If it is not, that is not a worry.
Oh... uhh Iunno there was this thing selling at the store by Hoya. It was labelled "protector" I don't know what it does though... besides protecting.
04-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Ohs ... trying to find 1 filter for each lens... so yeah basically trying to find one for my kit lens and 50-300mm maybe... so that it would protect it (mainly from dust) that I would never have to take off.
The overwhelming consensus is aside from a polarizer, which can DRASTICALLY impact and improve images under certain conditions, UVs and skylights do nothing but put an extra piece of glass, usually crappy, between your good lenses (I hope) and what you're shooting.

We all appreciate the care you're trying to take with your gear, but believe us, it's not worth it.
04-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Remembe that, at wide angles, the polarizer will not have an even effect. It can look somewhat like vignetting. that's something to bear in mind.
04-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The overwhelming consensus is aside from a polarizer, which can DRASTICALLY impact and improve images under certain conditions, UVs and skylights do nothing but put an extra piece of glass, usually crappy, between your good lenses (I hope) and what you're shooting.

We all appreciate the care you're trying to take with your gear, but believe us, it's not worth it.
Oh, okay! I think I'll just get a polarizer and take it off ONLY when I don't need it so that way, it would be on it for most of the time so it would be protected to some extent. Anyways... my lens hood would do fine... that IS if I ever drop my camera (which is once... but I learned my lesson ;D) More worried about dust getting on to the front element and maybe seeping into the middle elements though.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Remembe that, at wide angles, the polarizer will not have an even effect. It can look somewhat like vignetting. that's something to bear in mind.
Never knew that, thank you! I'll keep that in mind, and will know the full extent of this by experimentation ;D.
04-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I use the Cokin system, and no. Plus, even if you buy one standard screw-in polarizer that you have at the widest filter diameter of all your lenses, and buy cheap step-up rings for your other lenses, again...no.

For a 10mm maybe, but for standard wide angles, no problem.
04-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

Dust is not going to creep into your lens, and if it does, it has a lot of places to creep besides the front element.

It might creep in by the time you give it to your GRANDCHILDREN, but for God's sake--they're not even born yet.
04-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I use the Cokin system, and no. Plus, even if you buy one standard screw-in polarizer that you have at the widest filter diameter of all your lenses, and buy cheap step-up rings for your other lenses, again...no.

For a 10mm maybe, but for standard wide angles, no problem.
Oh yeah... I'm not planning on a Fish eye or DA 12-24mm for a while... so it's 18mm for now.
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Don't waste your money on UV or Protector filters. Right after I took this picture, I took them off of ALL my lenses and that flare/ghosting went away. K10d, Sigma 17-70.