Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If 50mm is not an appropriate focal length, there's nothin' you can do about it if you buy a 50mm prime.

Have you played with your kit lens at 18mm f/3.5? The Tamron 28-75 @ 28mm is only ~1/2 stop faster than the kit lens @ 18mm. And at 28mm, the Tamron is only 1 stop faster. Of course, the Tamron is an outstanding lens, though large and heavy compared with the kit model.

How far have you pushed your K-x in terms of ISO? Have you considered buying an external flash and bouncing it?

Maybe if you posted a photo of what you're trying to accomplish, we can offer some advice.

04-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

As stated, it really depends on your shooting style. There are some things you can only do with a fast-fifty, while the 28-75/2.8 zoom will probably make a much better walk around lens.
04-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with some of the other posters - 50mm fixed can be a big pain in the neck when shooting indoor gatherings. I have the 50mm f/1.4 and use it as my primary lens, but in retrospect I wish I would have gotten something wider first, since I too like shooting indoor events and I get tired of feeling too close to my subjects. A good wide angle lens is next on my wish list.
04-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #19
Forum Member

i have been through the exact same situation as you.

50mm is way too wide for dinner parties, birthday parties, housewarming parties, and whatnot parties. Hence, go for the 17-50 f2.8. It will be fast enough for you as well.

However, the bokeh that f1.4 gives you is unparalleled. Unless, of course, you shop for a f1.2. The 50mm f1.4 is an awesome prime worth every penny of it's relatively low cost now. It will bring some perspective to your shooting as well, having no zoom.

04-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
If 50mm is not an appropriate focal length, there's nothin' you can do about it if you buy a 50mm prime.
Well, this could be said about the use of any prime lens, but it's not QUITE true. What you do when you use primes—and they're about all I shoot with now—is MOVE. If the 50 doesn't give me a wide enough angle of view, I step back.

Of course, a problem arises when (a) you are not allowed to move, as happens to me when I'm shooting in a church and have been told I need to stay in one spot, or (b) when I'm shooting indoors and can't back up any further. And what I think we're all agreeing about is that the 50 is a bit too long for comfortable use indoors, at least if you're trying to take photos of a whole table full of kids at a birthday party. On the other hand, if you are happy just to take a close-up of the birthday kid blowing out the candles on the cake, then the 50 might be perfect. I took a portrait indoors today with the Pentax 70 on my camera. It was perfect for what I was trying to do.

As soon as you put a prime lens on a camera, you impose certain limits on what you can do, and you make certain other things easier. But the very same can be said of using a zoom. Every lens is a compromise. What every photographer has to figure out is, what kinds of compromises work for me—suit my personal way of working? I think this is, to some extent, a very personal question, and that means, there's really no way anybody can answer these questions for somebody else. All we can do is offer our own views, so the O.P. can think about them, as he tries to get his own handle on the problem and find his own solution. It simply isn't possible to say, "Tell me what kind of photos you want to take, and I'll tell you the right lens to you."

If you put a prime on your camera but think about the ways you could be shooting if you had a zoom, well, you're going to be unhappy. One of the things I've learned in the last year is that, with nothing but primes, I work differently. I think about composing photos differently. I see things differently. If you think about it from the perspective of someone used to working only with zooms, then working with primes looks like it's more difficult. But by eliminating a whole lot of options, using primes saves you from having to consider a lot of options. From the perspective of a primes-only user, using primes is, in some ways, actually EASIER. The objective, impartial truth is, using primes is simply different from using zooms.

QuoteOriginally posted by ohyouloveme Quote
50mm is way too wide for dinner parties, birthday parties, housewarming parties, and whatnot parties. Hence, go for the 17-50 f2.8. It will be fast enough for you as well.
Think you meant to say that the 50mm is "not nearly wide enough" for dinner parties, etc.

Will
04-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something wider?

Hi.

nice to see this question. I bought both lenses at the same time and I am very happy with both. A lot of good advise has been given and I like many think the 28-75 will suit the use that you describe. 28 isn`t to wide on my k100d, so I second those suggesting something in the kit range only faster.

Of course i recommend both lenses and something 2,8 in the 17/18 - 50mm
04-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #22

Are you ok with manual focus lenses? How about a Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8 and a 40mm f/2.8. These two should cover you and you also save a lot of dollars.
04-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Love the small size of my Pentax 50mm.
Agree that it may be slightly too long for some inside stuff.
My new Sigma 30mm 1.4, whilst a little bit bigger, is absolutely fantastic. Better every time I use it.
My K7 basically lives with one of those 2 primes on it now.
Horses for courses I guess.
Good luck, they're all great gear.