Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ckusnierek Quote
I though I was 100% set on a K100d

After doing more research I think i like the K-x much better for me.

Why?:
Higher ISO 6400 (12800 expanded)vs 3200 (I will be taking many low light Macros)
Dust Removal/Alert being new to dslr I really won't know when the camera need cleaned. Is that useful?
HD Movies Yes I know video is MF only and some might say cameras are for pictures not video. But being just a casual hobbyist not a pro I do like this feature.

I do like the display pm the top of the K100d But that not biggie.

Lastly I was wondering. The K100d was Pentax's first rake reduction camera right? Wouldn't Pentax have refined that feature a dozen models later? That is a important feature for me taking Macros.

Thanks for any advice!
The K100d was in fact the first to have SR. Don't overrate it though, it isn't the end all be all and Pentax's version isn't necessarily the best out there. I'm sure they've made some improvements in it but each new model has it's own set of issues (of any brand name).

Macros are best shot with a Lot of light. With a Tripod (which you turn SR off with) and remote. That is, unless your subject is a moving target. I'm sure boosted ISO could help you but again, isn't going to be the answer to all your problems. You would be better served learning to use your equipment to the best of it's ability and yours. When shooting macros, you are focused in so tight and DOF is so small that even the slightest movement in any direction, will blur your picture.

WRT Dust alert.. You will know the camera needs to be cleaned when your photos start to grow hair or strange dark shaded blobs show up. The Dust alert helps you to locate them. In photos, you will only see them, in most cases, when you stop your lens way down. The Dust alert wouldn't be a deal Maker for me.

HD video, yeah, it's fun to play with.. I'll admit it. It's nice to be able to put the fine pentax glass on and shoot video. Works best IMO with a manual focus lens and an external mic (if that's even possible with a Kx). If it didn't exist on the K7 however, it would not have been a deal breaker for me.

Backward compatibility of the K mount lenses.. Get ready to kiss all your money goodbye and spend the rest of your days looking for more lenses.

Kx vs K100d.. Some would argue that the K100d would be the better choice because of a smaller pixel density 12Mp vs 6(?)Mp. Less crosstalk between adjacent pixels will give you a cleaner image. Fact is, all of the Pentax DSLRs are capable of doing what you want in a photograph. You just have to learn how to make it happen with your chosen model.

Enjoy your Kx, I think we all know that's where you are heading

04-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

The worst thing you can do is base which camera you want to buy off of ISO tests from websites. Honestly if that's all you do then either way you are going to be disappointed, because there are always other types of situations that can't be recreated in the lab scenario.
04-08-2010, 02:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A good comment there by JeffJS.

K100D Rocks!
04-08-2010, 06:44 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Honestly I'm kind of leaning back towards the K100D
Why? I want to learn DSLR without all the fancy gimmicky features of the K-x.

I think If I can "master" the K100d the move up to a newer model.
Yeah I found a smoking deal on the K-x but in the end I can get the K100d body for $225 and take the difference from the K-x (about $275) and get a decent used 18-55,70-300, and If I'm lucky maybe even a 105macro.

I know I have a lot to learn. After sleeping on it I think the K100d will be a better teacher then the K-x

04-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go for the lenses then, you can upgrade the body later. I went for K-x and i'm happy with the choice.
04-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #21

I think If I can "master" the K100d the move up to a newer model.
Yeah I found a smoking deal on the K-x but in the end I can get the K100d body for $225 and take the difference from the K-x (about $275) and get a decent used 18-55,70-300, and If I'm lucky maybe even a 105macro.
I know I have a lot to learn. After sleeping on it I think the K100d will be a better teacher then the K-x
I learned on a K100D. Eventually I upgraded to a K20D and my wife took my K100D.
That K100D has now been replaced by a new K-x, and my wife (non-photographer) loves it even more.

The K10D, K20D and K-7 are the "fancy gimmicky feature" versions.
The K100D, K200D and K-x are the "entry-level control" versions.

This is really is a non-discussion. The K-x is designed to work like the K100D.
The K100D is really old tech (originally 2003, updated in 2006).

The K-x is $700 or so with both a wide DA L 18-55 and tele DA L 55-300.
It's well worth it to just pull the trigger on that than to try to search for $500 in lenses to add to a used, old tech K100D.

Get a Magic Lantern Guide for whatever camera you buy and you'll be happy.
04-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #22
Inactive Account

in a nutshell. k-x. you will not regret it.

i believe no one has.

04-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

While a couple of the features might be "gimmicky", no one is forcing you to use them. Even not considering the gimmicky features that you wouldn't be using, the K-x is still the *much* better camera in virtually every conceivable way. You can learn well on either camera, but you'll better results with the K-x. On the other hand, maybe not $300 better, especially if you do put the savings toward lenses. but don't fool yourself into thinking the K100D will help in ways the K-x won't.
04-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I vote against the K100D. It does not have support for SDM (or Sigma HSM) lenses. In the long run, it limits your options.

Besides, what's the price difference between a K100D and, say, a K200D?
K100D super does support SDM though.
The OP can go for that.
04-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well I have spent the last week on this forum for probably 10+ hours reading reviews/camera specs lenses etc.

To be honest I had no Idea what I wanted other than a DSLR

My post may have seemed to jump around a bit but that's because I could not decide what I wanted.

I knew I would figure it out eventually.

I did!

Maybe not what was at the top of my list but it fit all me requirements.

(from the Pentaxforums.com marketplace)

I got a K-m with DA L 18-55
Pentax 200m F4 (Not sure why I got this )

and separately I got a 70-300 (Tamron clone)

All for about $450 to my door.

No it's not a K-x but compared side by side it's close.

Side by side the biggest differences seem to be:
Movies
HDR
DOF

obviously 2 mp difference no biggie
I'm sure there are a few other feature not on the K-m but all in all I am happy with the deal I got and am sure I will be happy with the camera!

Thanks everyone for all your input!

Hopefully by the end of the week I can add a K-m logo to my sig line
04-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your purchase, ckusnierek.
Hope that you will enjoy playing with your toys in the days to come.

Cheers.
04-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I started on another forum a very large one. Every question I asked I fell I got insulted and ridiculed. I felt like since I was not a professional studio photographer I was not welcome there. It's the totally opposite here. I feel very welcome and all my questions get answered.

Thank you Pentaxforums.com!
This is also the reason why I stayed here too!
Don't get too complacent though as once in a while someone will try to get you with jokes or sarcastic remarks.
They do happen but very rarely. The rule is don't fight back as it would only make you more a target or ridicule.
As Yoda said..beware of the dark side..LOL!
04-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #28
Veteran Member

And now it starts. Soon you'l be buying lenses and saving for a K7
04-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Side by side the biggest differences seem to be:
Movies
HDR
DOF

obviously 2 mp difference no biggie
I'm sure there are a few other feature not on the K-m but all in all I am happy with the deal I got and am sure I will be happy with the camera!
Also, the K-x has live view and better high-ISO performance.

The K-m is really good, though. I used ISO 1600 on mine and got good results when I nailed the exposure.
04-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
Also, the K-x has live view and better high-ISO performance.

The K-m is really good, though. I used ISO 1600 on mine and got good results when I nailed the exposure.
I thought Live view was going to be a big issue for me but every time I mentioned it I was told I would not really even use it.