Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

Indecisive choosing a camera.

I though I was 100% set on a K100d

After doing more research I think i like the K-x much better for me.

Why?:
Higher ISO 6400 (12800 expanded)vs 3200 (I will be taking many low light Macros)
Dust Removal/Alert being new to dslr I really won't know when the camera need cleaned. Is that useful?
HD Movies Yes I know video is MF only and some might say cameras are for pictures not video. But being just a casual hobbyist not a pro I do like this feature.

I do like the display pm the top of the K100d But that not biggie.

Lastly I was wondering. The K100d was Pentax's first rake reduction camera right? Wouldn't Pentax have refined that feature a dozen models later? That is a important feature for me taking Macros.

Thanks for any advice!

04-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All of your assumptions are correct. The Kx is a much more recent camera, and a better performer according to all reviews.

Do take the time to handle the cameras if possible, to see which one you prefer using.

One thing worth mentionning is that you seem to assume that ISO performances are always comparable and that only numbers count. That is far from the truth. the Kx has the best high ISO seen to date in APS-C according to many, however the way you put it, you seem to think that ISO 6400 is exactly the same with all cameras. that is completely not true. For instance, ISO 1600 on the K20D looks like ISO 800 with the K10D. So you're not necessarily comparing apples to apples, be careful
04-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you do macro, do you use a tripod? If so, your argument for shake reduction doet not count as it's advised not to use SR when you use a tripod.

I don't know if there have been improvements in this area. Read the reviews that compare K200 to K100 and Kx to K200 (or Km) to see what they say.
04-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The Kx is definitely the more advanced camera. But remember that a camera is a box upon which you hang lenses. The right lens or lenses may be more important than the camera, to produce the pictures you want to make. And when you're analyzing lenses, look at what users have to say about them, pro and con. Think about the camera+lenses as a system, a unified whole. Buying into a camera and its lenses is like getting married; divorce is expensive.

If your low-light macro subjects will tolerate a bit of light, investigate ring-flashes. A macro.lens+ring.flash setup meant for close dental-medical photography may be most suitable for you. Just a suggestion.

04-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I vote against the K100D. It does not have support for SDM (or Sigma HSM) lenses. In the long run, it limits your options.

Besides, what's the price difference between a K100D and, say, a K200D?
04-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ckusnierek Quote
(I will be taking many low light Macros)
Would you care to expand on this a bit? Macro and low light don't go together often, if at all, which is why im curious...
04-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
If you do macro, do you use a tripod? If so, your argument for shake reduction doet not count as it's advised not to use SR when you use a tripod.
Also, SR is not very effective for handheld macros. It can't compensate at all if you shift forward and back.

QuoteQuote:
I don't know if there have been improvements in this area. Read the reviews that compare K200 to K100 and Kx to K200 (or Km) to see what they say.
Do any review sites have an actual repeatable test for this? DPReview has the reviewer hold the camera and take some shots at different shutter speeds with a 50mm lens, SR on and off. Then they look at the results and decide how many sharp photos were produced, then estimate how many stops that's worth. That's what I'd do in the real world but it's not a repeatable test. Even if they only used one guy, has he always had the same amount of coffee? How hard can it be to make a platform that vibrates like a human. Bolt the camera to it and see how the SR compensates.
04-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #8

I just sold my K100D (with DA 50-200 f/4-5.6 lens) and bought a K-x as a backup / non-weather-sealed option for my DA lenses to my K20D + DA* lenses.

BuyDig.COM (aka BeachCamera) has the K-x with DA L 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 for $499 right now. They are a Pentax USA reseller with full warranty (and I've always had any rebates honored). This makes it a no-brainer.

Consider opting for the K-x with DA L 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 + DA L 55-300 f/4-5.8 for a complete system. Adorama had it for $714.95 recently, and maybe someone else does for $699. It's definitely worth the extra $200 for the DA L 55-300 f/4-5.8. It's an outstanding set of optics for the price.

04-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Do any review sites have an actual repeatable test for this? DPReview has the reviewer hold the camera and take some shots at different shutter speeds with a 50mm lens, SR on and off. Then they look at the results and decide how many sharp photos were produced, then estimate how many stops that's worth. That's what I'd do in the real world but it's not a repeatable test. Even if they only used one guy, has he always had the same amount of coffee? How hard can it be to make a platform that vibrates like a human. Bolt the camera to it and see how the SR compensates.
You have a very valid point.
04-07-2010, 04:27 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

The kx has more features over all. I don't know that I would worry so much about high iso. Sure, it is cool to be able to shoot at iso 6400, but generally you won't be shooting quite that high (I hope). For macro shots, SR is pretty useless. The problem is that your plane of focus tends to shift forward and back and SR can't compensate for it, just with up/down type movements. The best macro shots, in general, will be taken with a tripod.

I think either camera would be fine, although if I had to choose between them, I would probably choose the kx. It has a lot newer tech, faster auto focus, etc.
04-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

to answer the OP questions and offer a little additional advise

His first consideration should be functionality. Let's assume he will not go into chasing the latest and greatest all the time, but use the K-x for an extended period. 3-5 years.

If the OP is using macro as one of the deciding points, high ISO is not relevant, resolution and low noise at lower ISO are more important. In this case, assuming he has lenses that can produce, the K-x is better

lens support, as someone pointed out, the K100 does not support SDM lenses, which limites future lens purchases, He should consider the K100 super as a minimum, but really should go for one of the 10MP or higher resolution cameras that support SDM, again the K-x is a good choise but by no means the only one.

SR is over rated, especially for macro, because it A) cant compensate for focusing errors due to movement toward or away from the subject (this is amplified due to the close working distance) and it can't compensate fully for close focus and increased magnification, it works best at a distance. SR shouldalso be turned off on a tripod, where the camera should spend most of it's time doing macro work

Overall the other consideration should be budget. THere are used 10MP cameras for less than a K-x, but if the cost of a brand new K-x is affordable, it may be the best choise at this time into the world of DSLRs.

One thing the OP did not mention is whether he has any lenses presently that are pentax compatible. This can also be a deciding factor, not for K-x Vs anything else in the opentax line up but Pentax vs canikon
04-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all the responses.

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Would you care to expand on this a bit? Macro and low light don't go together often, if at all, which is why im curious...
Here is an example of the macros I will be taking
This was taken with my P&S.
It's a coral from my aquarium
04-07-2010, 06:33 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
As far as SDM capabilities right now that's not a big deal for me.
I'm just a casual photographer, ya know the zoo, nature around the house, little league, etc.. I really do not want to invest too much in to this at first. Maybe going forward I will change my priorities and pickup the more high end equipment.

I chose Pentax for 3 main reasons:
SR (IS) build into the body. Those canon IS lenses are not cheap!
Backwards compatibility with older Pentax lenses
AF in the body not the lens.

For me and what I'm doing that all made sense.
I'll be honest when it come to technical info all I know is what I have read. So if I'm going the wrong way please correct me

Do I need my hand held? Unfortunately yes, If I didn't I would not even be here.

I'm really leaning towards the K-x.
Although I can get a new K100D for $250 w/o lens I fell the extra $$ will be wirth it in the end and maybe I'll use the SDM.

The one thing I do like about the K-x is video and automatic sensor cleaning

I started on another forum a very large one. Every question I asked I fell I got insulted and ridiculed. I felt like since I was not a professional studio photographer I was not welcome there. It's the totally opposite here. I feel very welcome and all my questions get answered.

Thank you Pentaxforums.com!
04-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ckusnierek Quote
As far as SDM capabilities right now that's not a big deal for me.
I'm just a casual photographer, ya know the zoo, nature around the house, little league, etc.. I really do not want to invest too much in to this at first. Maybe going forward I will change my priorities and pickup the more high end equipment.

I chose Pentax for 3 main reasons:
SR (IS) build into the body. Those canon IS lenses are not cheap!
Backwards compatibility with older Pentax lenses
AF in the body not the lens.

For me and what I'm doing that all made sense.
I'll be honest when it come to technical info all I know is what I have read. So if I'm going the wrong way please correct me

Do I need my hand held? Unfortunately yes, If I didn't I would not even be here.

I'm really leaning towards the K-x.
Although I can get a new K100D for $250 w/o lens I fell the extra $$ will be wirth it in the end and maybe I'll use the SDM.

The one thing I do like about the K-x is video and automatic sensor cleaning

I started on another forum a very large one. Every question I asked I fell I got insulted and ridiculed. I felt like since I was not a professional studio photographer I was not welcome there. It's the totally opposite here. I feel very welcome and all my questions get answered.

Thank you Pentaxforums.com!
The last statement is true for me as well and it actually pushed me over into Pentax......Best of luck with your decision and enjoy!!
Thanks to all here for the patience with us new to dslr photography!!
04-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I see the OP has made his decision. He is leaning towards the Kx.

All the Best in your decision and welcome to PentaxForum.

Cheers.

Last edited by Pentaxie; 04-08-2010 at 02:06 AM. Reason: typo error