Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

kit expansion recomendations

about two years ago i bought a *istDL with the stock 18-55mm soon afterwards i got a second hand 70-200 f-zoom. i quickly developed a passion fo archetecture and decided i needed a wider than 18mm lens, so i got the DA 10-17 fisheye. i also got a metz 48 af-1 for lighting dark rooms i want to photograph. I have found now that i only rarely use the 70-200, and am either using the fisheye or 18-55.

i was wondering what you thought would be best for me to get. the 12-24 (or sigma equivalent) attracted me because i would be able to aviod the barrel distortion of the fisheye, without processing. it also looks to take very good pictures. downside that it costs so much.

the 16-45 is well renound, and i could probably use the extra 2mm under the stock lens, and probalby sell the stock one.

i was also attracted to the k7body, because it would be a massive step up from my DL and will work in the cold. on a snowboarding holiday i found it very difficult to stop the DL failing whilst trying to set up a shot for a jump.

thing is though, that i would probably only be able to get one of these, or perhaps the 16-45 and one or two prime lenses.

having only used a DSLR for 2 years do you think that a k7 would be wasted on me with such a short range of lenses?

please tell me your thoughts

04-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, in response to your remark about the 12-24 (I have the Samsung version of the Pentax 12-24 f4), I'd think you would really like that lens. I also have and enjoy using the DA 10-17 lens but the difference between the two is substantial. So much so, that I don't use my fisheye much these days because when I want to go wide with architecture and indoors and whatever the 12-24 is THE lens for me.

Good luck on the rest.
04-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The DA 10-17mm fisheye zoom's narrowest angle of view stops right where the DA 12-24mm zoom starts, so these lenses work well together. Price is the biggest issue with the DA 12-24; the Sigma can save you money without giving up noticeable quality.

I have and really like the DA 16-45/4, and it sells at a good price these days. As a kit lens replacement, it works well for expanding the wide-angle end, maybe not quite enough for you though.

A K-x would also be a massive step up from the DL. As long as you can take advantage of the extra features, the K-7 is not wasted. I don't think a K-7 minds if you don't fill out the telephoto end.
04-07-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the comments guys, Just1MoreDave - yeah, the K-X had interested me, but not having a top LCD was dissapointing. I had a really quick go with a guy's camera, and he had a grip on the bottom, which i aboslutely loved. the bonus of having the ability to upgrade to use one of those in the future appealed as well, which the k-x cannot.

from what you have both said, i think that my best move would be towards the DA 12-24, or 3rd party alternative (il try some differnt ones out in shops first), and get some more use out of my DL. I think that if i can master all of the differnt settings on that, doing everything manually and taking my time over each shot, then i will be in a better position to make the best use of whichever body i uprade to in the future. just to make sure that i have all the fundamentals nailed before i get into a postion where im overwhelmend by the differnt features avalable.

cheers guys

04-07-2010, 06:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
acutally, i was looking at some high ISO pictures on a differnt section of this forum, and it the differnce in quality is quite dramatic between the istDL and the other cameras. Its so grainy. A large persentage of photos i take are urbex related, and are in quite dark places. natural light looks best really, although flash is unavoidable in some situations.

the better performance at high ISO of the KX looks good, so maybe tat would be a better for for my type of photography??
04-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I will begin by saying that one of my photographic interests is wildlife photography, so I am coming at the design of a kit from the other end of the spectrum. However, I believe my overall comments still apply.

My approach to a lens kit is that most photographers should have a basic kit that spans 10mm up to 200mm with a means to achieve at least 400mm in some manner.

The cost of the kit and each of the lenses purchased will reflect the importance of your actual tastes in photography.

My own view is that the range from ~20 to ~150 should be at F2.8 or faster and use a few high quality zooms to achieve this or a combination of zooms and primes,

You can obviously put more or less money into one end or the other depending on individual selections and preferences.

Since you are more interested in archetecture go wide and as fast as you can, I would think the Sigma 10-20 is preferred over either the 12-24 or the 10-17 fisheye because it is a rectalinear lens not a fisheye and the extra width is probably important.

If you want fisheye, go dedicated, I think.

Your other interest, snowboarding is a difficult one, wanting a good longer zoom. I think camera performance in the cold is more about batteries than the actual cameras. I have used even the *istD at well below 0C (published temperature range) same with K10D. Batteries are a big issue in the cold, not just the camera.
04-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I had my K100 for 4 years, and then upgraded to the K20 - and that step was substantial - both in resolution and capability. Personally, I acquired lenses and then took advantage of the K20's price reduction with the introduction of the K7. I too have the 10-17, 12-24 and 16-45. I would suggest that the natural upgrade path would be through the 12-24 (Pentax or Sigma) and then the body. Good lenses keep getting more expensive, while bodies depreciate over time.

As Dave noted earlier, the 10-17 and 12-24 naturally complement each others field of view. I think that you would get much more mileage from the 12-24 than with the 16-45, especially in the way you plan to use the lens.

I would guess that the K7 would be replaced with a new model by years' end - so personally, I would hold off on the body until the replacement is both announced and delivered, and watch the price. I would think that as with the K20, a new K7 could possibly be picked up at around $700, with possibly a used one at $600 (the current price for a well cared for K20).

I have been doing a lens a year - saving my lunch money, for my lens fund. I continually think that Pentax will introduce their version of the 11-16/f2.8 - however having said that, its been on the order of 18 months so far with nothing as of yet. I think that would add an element of speed for low ambient light situations, plus create somewhat of a price cap to the 12-24, possibly moderating its price as well. With that, you would then have yet another decision between the two lenses.

When I acquired the K20, I have found my skill level increasing, so I have no doubt that a K7 would perform the same feat, so - No, I would not think that it would be a waste at all.

If you are interested in ambient (low) light photography, an addition of a tripod and a wired remote, would certainly help keep you in the low ISO speeds (increasing image quality, and reducing noise), while providing you the ability to go with slower shutter speeds. I would check craigslist or evilbay for used tripods and heads. I have also found that the market place here offers well cared for equipment - especially lenses. Using a panning head, you could then with your current lens at the 18mm end, stitch for a much wider angle view.

I have found that having an "acquisition plan" with an eye towards picking things up over time, and sequencing them based on pricing and new model introductions, certainly keeps the cost down.

hope that helps...
04-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yeah thanks guys
il do that, try out some 10-20 or 12-24 lenses, and then see if there is a new body released towards the end of the year. i found a old 2xconverter my dad used to have today, which expands my telephoto end to 400. its manual, but well focusing isnt that difficult.

cheers

04-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'll through another vote on the 16-45mm lens as I have one and really enjoy it. My copy of the lens is very sharp and produces wonderfull photos whenever I use. It definitely is an improvement over the kit lens and I'm sure you would enjoy it as much as I have.

Cory
04-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
how about the DA*16-50 f2.8? LBA ALERT!!
04-17-2010, 01:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ohyouloveme Quote
how about the DA*16-50 f2.8? LBA ALERT!!
im right in thinking that this will not focus on my camera, rnt I. so that on top of a new body, so that it auto focuses is waaaaay out of my price range. also, i would rather fill in the gaps of my lens range than make existing parts of it obsolete
04-17-2010, 01:59 AM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
i was also attracted to the k7body, because it would be a massive step up from my DL and will work in the cold. on a snowboarding holiday i found it very difficult to stop the DL failing whilst trying to set up a shot for a jump.

thing is though, that i would probably only be able to get one of these, or perhaps the 16-45 and one or two prime lenses.

having only used a DSLR for 2 years do you think that a k7 would be wasted on me with such a short range of lenses?

please tell me your thoughts
Go for the K-7. It is now extremely good value for money, for a semi-pro camera, with WR. You will not waste your time with the K-7: in addition to WR, an oustanding viewfinder, excellent Hi continous shooting, a very sturdy body, great lens choice ..
04-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
im right in thinking that this will not focus on my camera, rnt I.
No. Some of the SDM lenses are SDM *only* (the DA17-70 and DA*55, I believe), but the DA*16-50 supports both SDM and screw drive.