Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #1

K-7 Firmware updates

I have a K-7 that has firmware V1.00. I know that the latest update is 1.03, do I need to update V1.01 and 1.02 or does 1.03 include the two previous updates? Any help would be greatly appreciated

04-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The latest update will always include any previous updates.
04-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the help Parallax...

Never forget how much you can learn from just listening.
04-20-2010, 04:32 AM   #4

be VERY careful with the update - (don't do it if you don't need to would be my advice) - I followed all recommendations to the letter re: having a fully charged battery before I start etc etc. The update process froze part-way through, leaving me with an unusable camera which needed a warranty return to base for a new main board installation. I was NOT a happy camper.

cheers
gm

04-20-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I always check the firmware copied on the SD card before running the upgrade, through a MD5 sum. This is quick, and ensure you have a working firmware update ready to go!
04-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Make sure to do the firmware update though.
There are a number of issues with 1.0 that are well sorted out in higher versions, for instance:
- Green line issue
- Hot pixel issue

You can search for some old posts on these issues.

Also, you will get new functionality: an extra focus selection point option, more supported lenses for the in camera correction and more settings for image sharpness.
Of course these extras are not described in the original manual

- Bert
04-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geoffm Quote
be VERY careful with the update - (don't do it if you don't need to would be my advice) - I followed all recommendations to the letter re: having a fully charged battery before I start etc etc. The update process froze part-way through, leaving me with an unusable camera which needed a warranty return to base for a new main board installation. I was NOT a happy camper.

cheers
gm
Given their policy, at least they fixed it. There must be something going on with a given batch of cameras that is causing the cameras to brick, even if you follow the instructions. The caveat is that they DO recommend you use the AC adapter to Insure you don't run out of power. How many people have bought Those? I also wonder if they will tell you to go pound sand and cough up the cash if you use one of these "Silent" updates that doesn't make it to all the sites.

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Well, I always check the firmware copied on the SD card before running the upgrade, through a MD5 sum. This is quick, and ensure you have a working firmware update ready to go!
I should probably know this, but how does one check the MD5 sum and how is it useful with respect to insuring a good FW file?