Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Renting DA* 16-50mm

So I've been wanting to get my hands on this lens (DA* 16-50) and see the IQ for myself. But do to lack of funds cannot buy one at the moment.

I am considering renting one. I am taking a business trip to the NC and will be in the Blue Ridge parkway, both working and taking some time to explore.

So The question being, is it worth $100 to rent for 10 days or would I be better served putting that money away and just waiting to buy?

By the way I'm a landscape architect. So Pictures will be both for work and pleasure. I currently have DA 18-55, M-50mm 1.4, and a quantry 70-300.

Any advice and suggestions are welcomed! Thanks

04-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considering how well the good lenses hold their value it is probably most efficient to buy the one you think you want and just sell it a month later if need be. That said, I spent a couple hundred renting lenses myself before plopping down a grand for the right one. I wanted the learning experience of using the different lenses as well as buying the right one. So I guess my advice is to decide if there is value to play with different lenses for 10 days besides the decision to buy. However, if the DA*16-50 is the one you really want and no others are close....just buy the damned thing.
04-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
However, if the DA*16-50 is the one you really want and no others are close....just buy the damned thing.
HA! Wish it was that simple. I'd already have the thing! I think there is value in trying it. Get my hands on it and "make sure" it's the one I want. Though I am fairly certain it is what I want. The SDM is what is holding me back. I want to see a "good" copy and then make up my mind.

So maybe I'll rent one?
04-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by landscaped1 Quote
The SDM is what is holding me back.
If you have doubt about IQ, or ergonomics, or usability, trying it out for a week or so makes sense, but that won't address your concern re. SDM failure. There is little chance that the SDM fails during the time you have the lens.

If you buy it now, and pay with a gold/platinum VISA/MC, you'll have 1 year warranty from Pentax, and additional 1 year from the credit card company. If the SDM fails, it's likely to fail within the warranty period.

I say just buy it.

04-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A good copy will make you want one - no wide-normal zoom exceeds it in build quality, IQ or performance IMO.

The only question to ask yourself is - can you make do without one?
If not, and you're concerned about SDM issues, get peace of mind from extended warranty.
04-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rent one to see how it feels, it is a lot of money to purchase. 10 bucks a day is not too bad..

Cheers, Mike.

P.S.
It is a one bad ass lens.
04-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I definitely would just go ahead and buy it. B and H has them for 760 right now and even if you don't like it, you can easily sell it here or on e bay for 700-ish and if you like it, you have saved your 100 dollars.

To me, renting is for lenses that you want just once (briefly) and not use again for a long time, or for really expensive lenses that you just have to try, at least once. Also, if prices continue to rise on the DA * lenses, there is the possibility in 6 or 7 months that you could actually sell the lens for more than you paid for it. Most of my lenses currently sell used for more than I paid for them originally.

04-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #8

Original Poster
Well when looking at it as $10 a day that is not terrible. I think I'll rent it for now. I'll get a good amount of use out of it on the trip and it'll let me know for sure wether i want one or not.
04-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought about renting one too but in the end decided to just go ahead and buy the damned thing.

Even if you rent an excellent copy, there is no guarantee your purchased copy will be the same. SDM issue is a non-issue because no matter where you buy it from, it will obviously be in working condition at the time of purchase.

Just go ahead and buy the damned thing!
04-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Got to agree on buying, if you buy it for full retail, you can sell it later used for a hundred less which is essentially no loss between buying to renting. Except with the fact that when you buy it to try and decide that you want it, you don't waste 100.
04-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have the DA* 16-50mm f2.8. It's a nice lens. No complaints so far except for that much money I'd expect more metal instead of plastic. But that's a personal thing.
04-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

cameralensrental.com only charges 56 dollars for that lens for 10 days. I have used them and their service is great.
04-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
cameralensrental.com only charges 56 dollars for that lens for 10 days. I have used them and their service is great.

Yeah so it's roughly $80 or $90 after shipping costs and with or without damage waiver. Which seems reasonable. But glad to know you had a good experience with them. Thanks
04-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
Inactive Account

The 16-50 is a mixed bag. It is capable of remarkable resolution, contrast and colour in the right situation, but it's linearity at 16mm wide open can go horribly wrong.

On the other hand, if you are looking at something other than architecture at 16mm, it's great.

04-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #15

IMHO, it is the best lens ever

Buy it. If you can't rent it but that just means you'll buy it later

- Itai
Neoluminance | Fine Art Photography by Itai Danan