Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 01:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Agreed. The thing that makes the Digital preview useless is that it is no different than just taking the picture and reviewing it. Don't like it? The delete button is right there. Don't want to fool with the Delete button? All computer file browsers have a delete function that moves them to a trash bin. Want them back at some point? Restore usually works pretty well.

My cameras have always been and will always be set for DOF preview. To me it is useful when I want to make sure a given area is in reasonable focus. It takes a split second for me to decide, and if I don't like it, reshoot.

WRT, Autofocus in Live View. I don't know about the Kx but on the K7, the AF button does the autofocus with the shutter open and the view full on the rear screen. It is a painfully slow way to auto focus however because, most of My lenses, hunt full range before settling on a focus point. This isn't the case with regular AF via the view finder. LV is most useful for critical focusing as you can zoom in a good bit (digital zoom) to assist with Manual focus.

I wouldn't base my decision on LV of any DSLR. The mistake many make (IMO) coming from P&S cameras, is assuming they need that rear screen. Your best bet is to learn to use the viewfinder you're paying the money for, and learn to catch your subject. The two types cameras are in completely different leagues.

Well not to be rude or anything, but what you sarcastically described is exactly what I've always done. It's just a photo file, why does it matter if I delete it?

04-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I find live view invaluable in 2 circumstances: 1) when I can't look through the camera because it's very low on the ground or an otherwise inconvenient location and 2) when using a ND110 with a backcap over the viewfinder. Regular, normal daylight shots, I don't use liveview. Digital preview, I've never really seen the point of this when I can just as easily take a shot.
04-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well i guess digital preview is for really truly lazy ppl who do not want to bother with the pain of using delete. Live view maybe for the "say cheese" function i will use it, at group pictures.
04-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Well not to be rude or anything, but what you sarcastically described is exactly what I've always done. It's just a photo file, why does it matter if I delete it?

Because last time I suggested using the delete button with respect to the useless digital preview, without the sarcasm, all kinds of people chimed in with how Inconvenient that was to do. OMG!! How much trouble it was for them to press the phucking button and then confirm the delete with the OK button. Of course, there are always those who just have to have something to bitch about. At the time, it was about the K10/K20 where the delete button is right there under the thumb for the easiest access. Want to get me started on useless buttons? The RAW button.

Not to be rude or anything

04-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I've never had a problem judging DOF in the viewfinder though, when I focus I know pretty much what my photo is going to look like. I guess that's why I didn't understand it though, because when I tried looking through and pushing the button I really didn't notice anything different.
When using the optical preview, it shows you the correct DOF in the viewfinder. Normally, it only shows you the DOF you'd get shooting wide open. So when shooting anything other than wide open, there *is* a difference that is visible in the viewfinder, and only DOF preview version of things will match the image you actually take - the "regular" viewfinder image will not.
04-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #21
hcc
Pentaxian

With the K-7, I use only the view finder. I regard the optical viewfinder a jewel, and an great asset. It is one of the best viewfinders among the dSLRs within similar price ranges.

The only use of Liveview is for the video. (I do not use much the video but I could not find how to shoot a video with the optical viewfinder.)
04-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
When using the optical preview, it shows you the correct DOF in the viewfinder. Normally, it only shows you the DOF you'd get shooting wide open. So when shooting anything other than wide open, there *is* a difference that is visible in the viewfinder, and only DOF preview version of things will match the image you actually take - the "regular" viewfinder image will not.
See, I don't understand what that means though. When I'm taking a photo of say a flower, when I look at it through the viewfinder I use the AF and then I know exactly what it's going to look like, so I recompose and then take the photo. Nothing looks different for me.
04-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Then you're not looking closely enough, or aren't looking for the right things. Google the term depth of field if you're fuzzy on the concept and what you should be looking for.

To see the effect, set up the camera to shoot at, say, f/16, using a lens with a reasonably large maximum aperture (ideally f/2.8 or better, but if just using a consumer zoom, go for the f/4 end). Focus on whatever part of the flower you like, and look through the viewfinder and notice how much of the flower is in focus in front of and behind where you actually focused. Then take the picture and comapre to what you saw in the viewfinder. Much mor of the image will be in focus in the picture than was in the viewfinder. That's what DOF preivew is trying to show you.

Here's a simple way of putting it: a picture you take at f/16 looks very different from one taken at f/2.8. That's just a fact - there is much larger DOF in the f/16 picture, all else being equal. So if the viewfinder is showing you something like the f/16 image, then it is not showing you the f/16 image, which is very different.

04-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

LV is great help. Step to Steps.
1. Click LV on
2. Click info button 4 times 4
3. Clicl AF button for perfect focus
4. Turn LV off
5. Halfway off under custom or change AF to MF
6. Click full shutter

Picture will be sharpness.
Try it. I did done.
04-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I tried LV on my wife's k-x for macro and found it completely useless. My k10d doesn't have LV and don't miss it a bit.
04-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Only K-7 and K-x. Smile.
04-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I almost never use it...for one thing it is a behemoth battery sucker.
For 2 things I can always get my photos home and uploaded where I can:
A) see them better on the screen and B) delete them there just as well in the computer.
If you have enough memory available in your SD cards you can take as many photos as you like using different POV's settings etc and make a note of what worked and what didn't...that's how I learned.
I have both a k7 and k200d and I use both the same...the live view makes no difference to me as I didn't have it on the K200....and i didn't buy the k7 for that reason.
Hope that helped.....
04-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #28
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
LV is great help. Step to Steps.
1. Click LV on
2. Click info button 4 times 4
3. Clicl AF button for perfect focus
4. Turn LV off
5. Halfway off under custom or change AF to MF
6. Click full shutter

Picture will be sharpness.
Try it. I did done.
Too much work. And everything (almost) looks sharp on a 3" screen. Most folks, when I see them using LV (especially on a p&s) I tell them to use the VF if it has one. As soon as they do their shots are sharper.
04-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Ok I am try to help. Its not in hurry to work. Its for nature or portriat or others. I am not sport camera. You know some lenses are not perfect focus. LV is better help. Don't forgot turn LV off when you done. Smile