Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Digital Preview vs Live View

Could someone please explain the difference?

I have bee researching for weeks which Pentax to get.
I'm considering a K10D but do not like the lack of live view. Coming from P&S I think I would be lost without it. Don't get me wrong I do know how to use a viewfinder but at the park/zoo/ball games etc I really think I would prefer live view.

So what is Digital preview?

Thanks

04-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I went from using a P&S for the last 8 years to a Kx, one reason I purchased the Kx was for live view. I used it once and rapidly turned it off. What a waste! Don't worry about LV IMHO its not a big deal...
04-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Live view is not as good as on a P&S. With liveview on, when you half-press the shutter to focus, the lcd goes black until focus is achieved, then you get focus confirmation then you can take the pic; it is painfully slow compared to using the viewfinder. It can be useful in some situations, but I would not use it on a regular basis.
04-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

You will quickly get used to using the viewfinder everywhere. You will also look much cooler Digital preview and live view is for the p&s crowd. I never saw the need for it on a dslr. Especially with Pentax, which has one of the crispest viewfinders on the market.

04-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Alright. Thanks guys!
I will take it out of the decision equation.
04-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Digitial preview is you press a button and it takes one pictures and shows it to you on the LCD, then immediately deletes that picture. It isn't live at all.

As mentioned, lvie view is soemthing P&S cameras have to make up for their terrible viewfinders, but it is in almost every way inferior to a good viewfinder. there are certin rare corner cases where live view might be preferbale, but in general, it's a guaranteed way to take longer to frame your picture and to get a blurrier picture.
04-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #7

I find the LV useful on my k-x when shooting at higher or lower than eye level

04-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Trying to hold a SLR camera away from your body while composing and taken a shot might not be as easy as with a P&S because of the weight of the camera/lens combo. Unless you're built like Rambo, your arms will get tired quite quickly. It also does not improve the slowest shutterspeed that you can use as it's more difficult to keep the camera steady.

I suggest that you go to a store (or a friend with a dSLR) and handle a camera and try it out.
04-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
You will quickly get used to using the viewfinder everywhere. You will also look much cooler Digital preview and live view is for the p&s crowd. I never saw the need for it on a dslr. Especially with Pentax, which has one of the crispest viewfinders on the market.
Agreed 100%.
04-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have NEVER understood the point of digital preview. I don't even think that I have used it on my Pentax cameras. It's the little aperture thing that you can slide your on and off switch to, right?
04-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I have NEVER understood the point of digital preview. I don't even think that I have used it on my Pentax cameras. It's the little aperture thing that you can slide your on and off switch to, right?
Yes Cody. You can view DOF either on the LCD or, as I have it set in the viewfinder. Set that way it works just like the old film preview and it's saved me a few times.
04-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I actually find Digital Preview to be more convenient to see the resultant DOF in the same frame that the actual picture will look like. Iris-closing DOF is surprisingly difficult to judge through the VF - at least in my experience.
04-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Yes Cody. You can view DOF either on the LCD or, as I have it set in the viewfinder. Set that way it works just like the old film preview and it's saved me a few times.
I've never had a problem judging DOF in the viewfinder though, when I focus I know pretty much what my photo is going to look like. I guess that's why I didn't understand it though, because when I tried looking through and pushing the button I really didn't notice anything different.
04-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Agreed. The thing that makes the Digital preview useless is that it is no different than just taking the picture and reviewing it. Don't like it? The delete button is right there. Don't want to fool with the Delete button? All computer file browsers have a delete function that moves them to a trash bin. Want them back at some point? Restore usually works pretty well.

My cameras have always been and will always be set for DOF preview. To me it is useful when I want to make sure a given area is in reasonable focus. It takes a split second for me to decide, and if I don't like it, reshoot.

WRT, Autofocus in Live View. I don't know about the Kx but on the K7, the AF button does the autofocus with the shutter open and the view full on the rear screen. It is a painfully slow way to auto focus however because, most of My lenses, hunt full range before settling on a focus point. This isn't the case with regular AF via the view finder. LV is most useful for critical focusing as you can zoom in a good bit (digital zoom) to assist with Manual focus.

I wouldn't base my decision on LV of any DSLR. The mistake many make (IMO) coming from P&S cameras, is assuming they need that rear screen. Your best bet is to learn to use the viewfinder you're paying the money for, and learn to catch your subject. The two types cameras are in completely different leagues.

04-08-2010, 01:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
I actually find Digital Preview to be more convenient to see the resultant DOF in the same frame that the actual picture will look like. Iris-closing DOF is surprisingly difficult to judge through the VF - at least in my experience.
Don't forget that the iris also closes in the digital preview. Basically you are taking (at least) two photos; once for the preview (which will not be stored on the card) and one for the actual shot. As JeffJS stated, you can just as well take the shot and review afterwards.