Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New user of the K-7

Just purchased the Pentax K-7 and need help! Using the green mode how do I set the JPEG quality at premium? And when I try to shoot in any other mode, I get "Data Being Processed". It takes a few seconds for the image to record. What do I need to do so that I can shoot faster. Preferred mode will be Av. This is my first Pentax in several years, the last was a 645 which was fantastic. Thanks for your help. I am alone in a sea of Nikon and Canon users locally!

04-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
RAW takes longer to process than JPEG. A single JPEG file is probably a few megabytes big but a typical RAW file on the K-7 is 14 to 16 megabytes each which is significantly larger which takes longer.

Set your JPEG quality to the highest stars to get the best quality out of your JPEG shots.
04-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Changing your jpg quality is not possible in the green mode.
The "Green Mode" is meant for absolute beginners, turning off most options of the camera.

I'm sorry to say this, the K-7 is not the Pentax DLSR that is targetted at DSLR beginners, so if you have little or no camera experience, it will take some time to master that thing. However, once you do ....

I guess it is best to start to learn shooting in the Hyper program mode (P mode).
Where you can use the front and rear dials to change shutter speed and/or aperture. However, out of green mode you will be getting access to a whole lot more options and functions than all these people with Canon / Nikon in general have available.

Perhaps you could read a book, like the one Yvon Bourque has written:
PENTAX DSLRs: Pentax K-7 "Everything you need to know...and then some." e-book available NOW.

Or this book: Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition) (9780817463007): Bryan Peterson: Books

On the other thing, slow processing: the K-7 takes a lot of time if one or more of the Lens Correction options is on.
See menu 1, last item, select it and push the right arrow botton to find out.

There are many posts on this forum on how to operate the K-7 and other Pentax camera's. You could also try to study those.

- Success. Bert
04-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Bert on this one, the K-7 is a semi-pro product and for a beginner it can be a little overwhelming. If I were you I would start reading and studying the instuctions book and look at some of the threads here on this forum. Once you begin to master the basics of the camera you can start trying the other modes on the camera.

Soon everything will become simple and you can begin to enjoy the camera and all that it can do. Good luck and enjoy the camera.

Last edited by Tuner571; 04-08-2010 at 11:34 AM.
04-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi rr,

The easiest way to set a lot of common parameters on the K-7 is using the "Info" screen. Press the Info button, and look for the "***" box near the bottom. Move to this box via the four-way controller (once press of the "up" button is the easiest), and you'll notice a dotted bottom section of a circle, which indicates the rear e-dial. Turn the e-dial, and it will change the jpeg quality setting. "****" is the highest, though it's hard for me to distinguish any difference from "***" which is the default. You can also change the resolution in this screen if you wish.

There are a number of settings that can effect the processing speed. The most common one that slows processing a lot is the "Distortion Correction" feature. This is also available in the Info screen (it's in the upper right corner under the ISO Range box at the very top). Another reason for slow processing could be the SD card used. My experience tells me that a 20MB/sec continuous write speed card (133x) will give you enough performance, but some say that the 30MB/sec (200x) cards are necessary for top performance when shooting long strings of continuous shots, and I'll not dispute this.

Scott
04-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #6

Ditto for what everybody else has mentioned so far, here's my advice if you ever forget how to change something "the quick way" -> just head to Menu.

It's not the fastest way to change something, but everything's there. I haven't used Full Auto (Green) in a long time but it makes sense to me that you can still change the JPEG compression level in that mode. Switch to Full Auto and nav around in Menu, should be in under one of the sections in the first tab.

I use only two ** for my JPEG, I don't notice a difference in quality when I use *** or **** but the size increases dramatically. If I want more details I do RAW+JPG
04-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yeah agree that the K-7 is a semi-pro and doesn't have all those extra easy modes to make shooting easier for the beginner. However this is a DSLR camera and it's intended purpose is not to be used as a point and shoot, which sadly is what companies are trying to market DSLRs as by stripping down features, adding more P&S features, and finding ways to make it affordable to the P&S market. You are lucky and should be proud that you went straight to a semi-pro body since you won't have to upgrade later. It'll take time to learn but one thing you must know is that in the end, whether you get a entry-level or a semi-pro, you'll still end up learning the basics of it all; but only with the K-7 you will have much more to grow into which is all it matters.
04-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rainbowrider Quote
Just purchased the Pentax K-7 and need help! Using the green mode how do I set the JPEG quality at premium? And when I try to shoot in any other mode, I get "Data Being Processed". It takes a few seconds for the image to record. What do I need to do so that I can shoot faster. Preferred mode will be Av. This is my first Pentax in several years, the last was a 645 which was fantastic. Thanks for your help. I am alone in a sea of Nikon and Canon users locally!
Welcome to the forum. You will get a lot of helpful feedback and advice from their Forum.

You already received a lot of help and good advice in the earlier posts. I simply add a few suggestions from personal experience.

Starting from scratch, I would suggest that you set some basic settings used by many K-7 Pentaxians:
- Mode dial to P (P-mode, p. 96)
- AF button to Center (p. 122)
- Focus mode lever to AF.S (p. 126)

The page numbers refer to the K-7 operating manual. You can always change the above settings (eg to use Av mode) but the above are robust settings that many use. I understand that you want to the use the Av mode. The P-mode might be a good start instead.

Then you need to go the Menu to set the type of file (RAW or JPEG) and the file size (JPEG 14, 10, 6, 2 Mp) and quality (JPEG **** to *) (see p. 186-187). In Green mode, the default is RAW. In all other modes incl. P-mode, you can choose RAW, RAW+JPEG or JPEG.

Lastly, you may set manually a number of parameters with the front and rear dials when you shoot. If you want to come back to the default settings, press the Green button (p. 19 & 21, also https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html).

Hope that the additional comments might help...