Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buying a [USED] Pentax K-x. (question)

Hello all,

I just became a member of this forum today, but i have avidly been reading topics here for the past month or so to better familiarize myself with Pentax cameras; more specifically, the K-x.

About an hour ago, I purchased a used K-x from Amazon Warehouse Deals (link below).

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-x-2-7-inch-18-55mm-White/dp/B002OEBTD2

There was little-to-no specification as to the extent which it was used- or the quality of the product, so i called customer service to get as much information as possible. The gentleman told me that in most cases, the item has been returned to Amazon within 30 days (for whatever reason) and goes through an inspection process before it can be re-sold.

So my question is this: What kinds of things should I look for- and what kinds of tests should i perform to make sure my K-x is in 100% working condition?

Thanks in advance!

04-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Start with page one of the manual (downloadable from Pentax) and go from there. If you've been reading the forums, you know what kind of batteries, cards, etc to get. Download a copy of PhotoMe so you can check the actual shutter count (just so you know). Inspect the camera for cracks and other abrasions and compare it to the condition given when you purchased it. If it came with a warranty, do as much testing as you can within that period. If not you might want to look into a square trade or mack warranty of some sort. Check to see that you have the latest firmware (and beware of the potential problems that can arise with updating it).

Good luck and welcome..

04-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The K-x has been known for battery issues so I would suggest that that is the one that you test the most.
If it has the latest firmware then it should be alright as it fixes the battery issue.
You could also do some FF and BF tests.
Welcome to the forums TAP!
If ever you have a question in mind, you could also get the help of the "search" bar here in the forums as that would make it easier for you to get the answers you need.
It would be like doing research.
Good luck and welcome to the Pentax family too!
04-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just test out everything during a week of regular use. Be sure to try manual focus and manual aperture, each control and even functions you would not normally use. Keep rough track of battery usage to see if it's what you expect.

Don't sweat the details. These things generally either work or they don't.

04-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Make sure you check for any cracks that might be in the camera body or other things like that. Check to make sure the flash pops up and works, and things like the LCD work correctly and don't have any problems. Then I would suggest taking a few test photos.
04-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Download a copy of PhotoMe so you can check the actual shutter count (just so you know).
And just so you know, PhotoMe is free.

And just so you know as well, even on a brand-new camera, it's not unusual to have a few hundred shutter clicks on it already, because they do it for testing.

If the shutter click count says 5,000, I MIGHT be concerned. But anything from 50 to 1,500, I wouldn't be.
04-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TAP Quote
Hello all,

I just became a member of this forum today, but i have avidly been reading topics here for the past month or so to better familiarize myself with Pentax cameras; more specifically, the K-x.

About an hour ago, I purchased a used K-x from Amazon Warehouse Deals (link below).

Amazon.com: Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens (White): Camera & Photo

There was little-to-no specification as to the extent which it was used- or the quality of the product, so i called customer service to get as much information as possible. The gentleman told me that in most cases, the item has been returned to Amazon within 30 days (for whatever reason) and goes through an inspection process before it can be re-sold.

So my question is this: What kinds of things should I look for- and what kinds of tests should i perform to make sure my K-x is in 100% working condition?

Thanks in advance!
My K-x is a Warehouse Deal camera (for a ridiculously low price) - and I know why it was returned ;D The diopter on mine is off adjustment just a bit. If the diopter is centered (as it should be for someone with 20/20 vision) you'll never be in focus. The misalignment is so slight I'm happy to just keep the diopter knocked a notch to the right for now. At some point if I get the camera serviced, I'll see if it's a cheap fix :P

Most returns aren't actually for a real PROBLEM with the camera (more likely to be 'nah, not what I wanted') - I was very surprised that mine was So, there's one thing to look for

My Warehouse Deal came with everything that would be in the box new (right down to the plastic bags) including all the info needed for Pentax warranty, so it's definitely a great deal!

04-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the great responses, and sorry for my late reply [I was busy at work].

Ecaterin, thanks for the personal insight; Its good to hear from someone who was in a similar situation. I'll definitely look into that first once it arrives.

Thanks again everyone, i really appreciate the advice and will take each of your suggestions into consideration when the camera arrives tomorrow :]

Last edited by TAP; 04-08-2010 at 10:52 PM.
04-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
The diopter on mine is off adjustment just a bit. If the diopter is centered (as it should be for someone with 20/20 vision) you'll never be in focus. The misalignment is so slight I'm happy to just keep the diopter knocked a notch to the right for now. At some point if I get the camera serviced, I'll see if it's a cheap fix :P
You may have already viewed this thread, but I thought it may be helpful to you with your diopter issues. It gives you a pretty good example of how to adjust it on your own.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/7860-dumb-question-about-diopter.html
04-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Oh, and I would also like to second the battery issue check. Make sure that the person wasn't just selling it because they didn't want to deal with the problem. I'm not sure how to check for it, but you can definitely look around PF for many threads on it.

Another thing you should check for (but I doubt people ever do) is any damage to the mirror. I've heard of people thinking their lenses were cracked but the mirror actually was somehow damaged in shipping or before that.
04-09-2010, 04:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also the viewfinder could be out of alignment or simply dirty. I have a camera like that, and find it impossible to clean.
04-09-2010, 06:44 AM   #12

Check for the cosmetic condition. If there are any dings or scracthes, potentially it could have been dropped or mishandled. Also check for dust and dead/hot pixels on the sensor
04-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vize Quote
Check for the cosmetic condition. If there are any dings or scracthes, potentially it could have been dropped or mishandled. Also check for dust and dead/hot pixels on the sensor
Dust and dead pixels are actually a great issue but an issue nonetheless and if you don't know what you are doing then getting the dust out could be quite annoying.