Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Please help in using expired film in portrait photography

i want to make a photo book for my friend who is graduating this april and i want to make her portraits look great

i have a pentax mz30 with standard lens (30-80mm) and 3rolls of expired film (one year expired) and i've seen the nice effects of using these kinds of film but only in landscape photography...

i have some questions
  • is using expired film advisable for portrait photography?
  • can anyone point me to a reliable tutorial? the ones i've found is about digital...
  • Please share tips, techniques and tricks in using expired film
  • should i shoot indoors or outdoors for best results?

thanks for all your help...

p.s. i'd like to use what i have, so please dont advise me to get a lomo cam or something...

04-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

About all I can think of is to overexpose the film somewhat (presuming it is print film), perhaps by a stop.
Otherwise, there isn't much that can be predicted regarding how the film will react.
04-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Shoot a couple shots you do not plan to keep at the beginning of the roll that the lab can cut off for a "snip test". They will process these few images normally, and then determine the best custom processing for the rest of the roll.
04-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Are we allowed to suggest buying a new roll of film, maybe one that is portrait friendly?

Why are you so sure this film (what is it BTW?) is going to give some 'nice effects'. 1 year out of date is probably not old enough to get a substantially different result.

Cheap (or old) film can be false economy!

04-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depending on how far out of date. If it's less than a year and have been stored properly, probably no noticable problem. Storing film in the refridgerator will delay the expiration and freezing it will keep indefinately. If you just want to try it and will have another chance, all you are out is the processing.