Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What is your preferred JPEG file size and quality settings? (2 choices max.)
14 Mp [****] 1751.52%
14 Mp [***] 515.15%
14 Mp [**]   00%
14 Mp[*]   00%
10 Mp [****] 721.21%
10 Mp [***] 13.03%
10 Mp [**]   00%
10 Mp[*]   00%
6 Mp [****] 515.15%
6 Mp [***] 39.09%
6 Mp [**]   00%
6 Mp[*] 13.03%
2 Mp [****]   00%
2 Mp [***]   00%
2 Mp [**]   00%
2 Mp[*]   00%
Other 39.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I am not sure if that equates to more speed from the camera body unless you are including write speed also.

I would have thought that all photos are captured in native format (RAW) first. If that assumption is true, a sinlge RAW photo should generally beat a single JPEG photo in overall speed from the camera body in most cases because of the overhead involved in compressing the RAW into JPEG.
Hi EsBee,

I don't quite get how write speed can be separated in any practical sense. I imagine that you might be correct theoretically, but I don't usually shoot theoretically, unless I include dreaming. . .and I've yet to discover how to use image files that haven't been saved to the card.

Scott

04-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #17
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi EsBee,

I don't quite get how write speed can be separated in any practical sense. I imagine that you might be correct theoretically, but I don't usually shoot theoretically, unless I include dreaming. . .and I've yet to discover how to use image files that haven't been saved to the card.
Scott
The notion on 'write speed' is linked with two different issues:
- the post-processing done on-board by the camera processor, and
- the transfer speed from the camera memory buffer to the card.

Let me use two examples. When we use the camera lens distortion correction, the camera does some post-processing after each shot, and it takes ~1 s before the photo is saved on the SD card. This is linked with the on-board post-processing. There are other post-processing functions: some are very fast other as slower.

On the other hand, when we take a photograph, the file must be written on the SD card. There are different categories of SD cards that are related to the specified transfer rate: e.g., a class 10 card is specified for 30 Mb/s. The transfer rate is particularly important when you do some continuous shooting: the camera will slow down its burst rate when the buffer is full as a resut of a slow card transfer rate.

While the topic is not directly relevant to the original thread on JPEG image file size and quality settings, it is pertinent for some applications, incl. continuous shooting.

Hope that the comment may assist ... and that other Pentaxians wil share their experience and expertise.
04-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
It is interesting that it would seem mose people prefer to lower resolution than quality which is the wrong way to go.

If you notice that stepping down in quality vs resolution (compared to the maximum of both) until the file size is roughly the same, the image will look better when resolution is higher because both are kinds of compression. Reducing resolution simply removes information uniformly everywhere while compressing removes information the least likely to be noticed (at least according to human visual system studies).

- Itai
Digital Camera Buying Guide, Photography Articles and Reviews | NeoCamera.com
04-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

JPEG sizes vary depend on the content of the photograph. For example, at any resolution the photograph of a flower with a clear blue sky as the background will be a lot smaller in size than of a typical landscape with various things in it such as lakes, mountains, trees and flowers, etc.

04-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I shoot at the higest quality I can. If I wanted a worse camera, I'd have *bought* a worse camera.
04-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I shoot at the higest quality I can. If I wanted a worse camera, I'd have *bought* a worse camera.
Well said
04-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Like Marc I will normally shoot at the highest mp and best quailty the camera will do then if I need a smaller file size for some reason I will do it PP