Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Built in flash issue

Hi All,

here is my problem:
I have K20d, and until now have no problem using the built in flash.
last week I was at a stalactiteד cave, were the light are dim.
I pop up the flash (I set the camera to Av), and the flash works fine.
After a few shots, I've notices that the flash stop firing, so I wait a few seconds (the battery was fresh and charged), but the flash didn't fire (and t should), the only thing that help was to turn the cam off and on (and after a few shots it happened again).
Any thoughts?
10x

04-09-2010, 01:20 AM   #2

That is very strange... Is the camera under warranty? Better get it to Pentax to have a look.
04-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was it overheating from the flash firing to assist the Af maybe?
04-09-2010, 03:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
The camera is under warrenty until Dec-2011 (I have enouhh time )
I don't think that the camera get overhitted, I didn't take a lot of pictures.

Some more detailes about the stalactite cave we were:
The cave temperature is about 22-23 degrees celsius and the humidity is above 90% all the time (monitored).
The lights are very dim (e.g. ISO 640 F4.0 @0.5 sec).

When we got out of the cave I use the flash with no problems.

I guess that the cave conditions cause the camera to work the way it works

Another question - in such conditions, an external flash (like Pentax or Metz) should work better?

04-09-2010, 04:25 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you also sure that in those conditions (a) there was enough time between shots for the battery to charge the flash again before shooting, and (b) the lighting conditions did not trick the camera into thinking that flash was not necessary for the shots?

Whilst it does sound fishy that the flash would only discharge sometimes when it is in a mode that mandates flash use if it's up, you should always rule out the other possibilities.

The external flash units will definitely do a better job at illuminating your exposures.
04-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I suggest you try it out more and do some tests using more of the pop-up flash as this is definitely something very odd. It (flash) should even fore continuously if need be albeit it has enough charge.
Check the battery too as it might not have enough charge on it to cycle the flash or the charge is too low to discharge the flash without draining it too fast.
It might be a power saving feature thingy that it would save the power for the other features rather than drain it all for the flash function.
If everything fails, just send it back for repairs.
04-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenzebra Quote
Hi All,

here is my problem:
I have K20d, and until now have no problem using the built in flash.
last week I was at a stalactiteד cave, were the light are dim.
I pop up the flash (I set the camera to Av), and the flash works fine.
After a few shots, I've notices that the flash stop firing, so I wait a few seconds (the battery was fresh and charged), but the flash didn't fire (and t should), the only thing that help was to turn the cam off and on (and after a few shots it happened again).
Any thoughts?
10x
Were you by any chance wearing a Hat?? Sometimes, the bill of my hat will partially push the pop up flash down just enough to disengage it.

04-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Were you by any chance wearing a Hat?? Sometimes, the bill of my hat will partially push the pop up flash down just enough to disengage it.

Actually yes, I was wearing a hat with a big bill, I didn't though of it!
I will try the camera for this issue and let you know the findings.
04-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This is something that I would never have thought of but could actually happen!
This is some good info.
It's good to be in a forum like this since all angles are covered by the different experiences of the members no matter how negligible or ridiculous it might seem.
04-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Had that happen many times. I always need to turn my hat backwards when shooting.
04-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check the custom setting 28 on your K20D, it might have been set to 2 which says to release shutter even when the flash is still charging. If you set it to 1, shutter release button will have no effect if the popup flash is open and is not charged.
04-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
This is something that I would never have thought of but could actually happen!
This is some good info.
It's good to be in a forum like this since all angles are covered by the different experiences of the members no matter how negligible or ridiculous it might seem.
Yep, always check the obvious, even if it seems ridiculous.. I discovered it with my K10d on a bright sunny day when whatever I was shooting had shadows and I wanted to try fill flash.. I couldn't figure out why the flash wouldn't fire when pointed at the subject. I had just read about the flash AF strobe focus assist burning the flash out and had been using it the night before. However, I could randomly fire it pointing the camera somewhere else, without looking through the viewfinder.. I felt my hat slightly moving when I put the camera to my face to look through the viewfinder. Turned the hat around, problem solved.

04-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #13
Forum Member

has happened to me as well, cudos to JeffJS for thinking of it. I think I stored it togheter with other repressed memories like forgetting to remove the lens cap...
04-11-2010, 03:03 AM   #14

Original Poster
Yep, always check the obvious, even if it seems ridiculous.. I discovered it with my K10d on a bright sunny day when whatever I was shooting had shadows and I wanted to try fill flash.. I couldn't figure out why the flash wouldn't fire when pointed at the subject. I had just read about the flash AF strobe focus assist burning the flash out and had been using it the night before. However, I could randomly fire it pointing the camera somewhere else, without looking through the viewfinder.. I felt my hat slightly moving when I put the camera to my face to look through the viewfinder. Turned the hat around, problem solved.

The hat I have is of Columbia Sportswear combines with a back neck flap and an extended brim, so I didn't turned it (next time I'll rolled up the neck flap!).

Anyway, yesterday I was on a trip (without the hat ), and all works like charm (I use the flash a lot as a fill flash).

Maybe PENTAX (and others) should add a notice about this issue regarding flash problems inside the manual guide...
04-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Ha! That's happened to me too, but it didn't disengage the flash, just point it down a bit, but enough to be obvious. I couldn't even feel it doing it.