Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 38
Built in flash issue

Hi All,

here is my problem:
I have K20d, and until now have no problem using the built in flash.
last week I was at a stalactiteד cave, were the light are dim.
I pop up the flash (I set the camera to Av), and the flash works fine.
After a few shots, I've notices that the flash stop firing, so I wait a few seconds (the battery was fresh and charged), but the flash didn't fire (and t should), the only thing that help was to turn the cam off and on (and after a few shots it happened again).
Any thoughts?
10x

04-09-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 167
That is very strange... Is the camera under warranty? Better get it to Pentax to have a look.
04-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,331
Was it overheating from the flash firing to assist the Af maybe?
04-09-2010, 03:44 AM   #4
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 38
Original Poster
The camera is under warrenty until Dec-2011 (I have enouhh time )
I don't think that the camera get overhitted, I didn't take a lot of pictures.

Some more detailes about the stalactite cave we were:
The cave temperature is about 22-23 degrees celsius and the humidity is above 90% all the time (monitored).
The lights are very dim (e.g. ISO 640 F4.0 @0.5 sec).

When we got out of the cave I use the flash with no problems.

I guess that the cave conditions cause the camera to work the way it works

Another question - in such conditions, an external flash (like Pentax or Metz) should work better?

04-09-2010, 04:25 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
Are you also sure that in those conditions (a) there was enough time between shots for the battery to charge the flash again before shooting, and (b) the lighting conditions did not trick the camera into thinking that flash was not necessary for the shots?

Whilst it does sound fishy that the flash would only discharge sometimes when it is in a mode that mandates flash use if it's up, you should always rule out the other possibilities.

The external flash units will definitely do a better job at illuminating your exposures.
04-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member
GerryL's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,731
I suggest you try it out more and do some tests using more of the pop-up flash as this is definitely something very odd. It (flash) should even fore continuously if need be albeit it has enough charge.
Check the battery too as it might not have enough charge on it to cycle the flash or the charge is too low to discharge the flash without draining it too fast.
It might be a power saving feature thingy that it would save the power for the other features rather than drain it all for the flash function.
If everything fails, just send it back for repairs.
04-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenzebra Quote
Hi All,

here is my problem:
I have K20d, and until now have no problem using the built in flash.
last week I was at a stalactiteד cave, were the light are dim.
I pop up the flash (I set the camera to Av), and the flash works fine.
After a few shots, I've notices that the flash stop firing, so I wait a few seconds (the battery was fresh and charged), but the flash didn't fire (and t should), the only thing that help was to turn the cam off and on (and after a few shots it happened again).
Any thoughts?
10x
Were you by any chance wearing a Hat?? Sometimes, the bill of my hat will partially push the pop up flash down just enough to disengage it.

04-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 38
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Were you by any chance wearing a Hat?? Sometimes, the bill of my hat will partially push the pop up flash down just enough to disengage it.

Actually yes, I was wearing a hat with a big bill, I didn't though of it!
I will try the camera for this issue and let you know the findings.

04-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member
GerryL's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,731
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Were you by any chance wearing a Hat?? Sometimes, the bill of my hat will partially push the pop up flash down just enough to disengage it.

This is something that I would never have thought of but could actually happen!
This is some good info.
It's good to be in a forum like this since all angles are covered by the different experiences of the members no matter how negligible or ridiculous it might seem.
04-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Jodokast96's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Erial, NJ USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,133
Had that happen many times. I always need to turn my hat backwards when shooting.
04-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: National Capital Region
Posts: 738
Check the custom setting 28 on your K20D, it might have been set to 2 which says to release shutter even when the flash is still charging. If you set it to 1, shutter release button will have no effect if the popup flash is open and is not charged.
04-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
This is something that I would never have thought of but could actually happen!
This is some good info.
It's good to be in a forum like this since all angles are covered by the different experiences of the members no matter how negligible or ridiculous it might seem.
Yep, always check the obvious, even if it seems ridiculous.. I discovered it with my K10d on a bright sunny day when whatever I was shooting had shadows and I wanted to try fill flash.. I couldn't figure out why the flash wouldn't fire when pointed at the subject. I had just read about the flash AF strobe focus assist burning the flash out and had been using it the night before. However, I could randomly fire it pointing the camera somewhere else, without looking through the viewfinder.. I felt my hat slightly moving when I put the camera to my face to look through the viewfinder. Turned the hat around, problem solved.

04-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 88
has happened to me as well, cudos to JeffJS for thinking of it. I think I stored it togheter with other repressed memories like forgetting to remove the lens cap...
04-11-2010, 03:03 AM   #14
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 38
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Yep, always check the obvious, even if it seems ridiculous.. I discovered it with my K10d on a bright sunny day when whatever I was shooting had shadows and I wanted to try fill flash.. I couldn't figure out why the flash wouldn't fire when pointed at the subject. I had just read about the flash AF strobe focus assist burning the flash out and had been using it the night before. However, I could randomly fire it pointing the camera somewhere else, without looking through the viewfinder.. I felt my hat slightly moving when I put the camera to my face to look through the viewfinder. Turned the hat around, problem solved.

The hat I have is of Columbia Sportswear combines with a back neck flap and an extended brim, so I didn't turned it (next time I'll rolled up the neck flap!).

Anyway, yesterday I was on a trip (without the hat ), and all works like charm (I use the flash a lot as a fill flash).

Maybe PENTAX (and others) should add a notice about this issue regarding flash problems inside the manual guide...
04-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,331
Ha! That's happened to me too, but it didn't disengage the flash, just point it down a bit, but enough to be obvious. I couldn't even feel it doing it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, flash, pentax help, photography, shots
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In what situation can you use the external flash that the built in flash couldnt? rustynail925 Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 25 01-13-2010 01:26 PM
flash guide updated for k-7 built-in flash mattdm Pentax News and Rumors 4 05-26-2009 06:02 PM
Manual lens with built-in flash issue winglik Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 12-01-2008 07:28 AM
wireless flash using built in flash k200d dtra Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 3 04-04-2008 12:34 AM
Using built in flash dvdman45 Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 11-29-2007 05:32 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top