Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Polaroid?

Did Pentax ever make a Polaroid camera? If not... what is a popular brand of polaroid camera? or their favourite?

04-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No, Pentax never made one. Can't help you otherwise, but should mention that film is being made available once again by a startup firm.
04-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That would have been nice though. I would have loved to see a Pentax instant camera. Why not?
04-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
That would have been nice though. I would have loved to see a Pentax instant camera. Why not?
Just checked... the film so expensive ;/ rather shoot film.

04-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
My guess is copyrights for cameras and film.
I know Kodak tried with a knock-off but got sued and had to recall all of the cameras sold.
Probably back in the mid 1970's.
04-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
No, Pentax never made one. Can't help you otherwise, but should mention that film is being made available once again by a startup firm.
It's never going to happen. There have been a few stories over the past few years about this, but nothing ever materializes. Who the hell is going to want to pay for crappy Polaroid photos in this day and age?

Polaroid has a portable device (check WalMart and others) called a PoGo, which you connect to your camera and it prints a photo. Mind you--this isn't even a photo print; it's just a printer.

The per photo cost is ridiculous, it has to be charged and gives you a ridiculously low number of prints per charge, and the Polaroid name is basically dead and tainted--but they don't know it yet.

They make some medical and other technical imaging equipment which is very well respected, and that's what kept them alive until now.
04-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
It's never going to happen. There have been a few stories over the past few years about this, but nothing ever materializes. Who the hell is going to want to pay for crappy Polaroid photos in this day and age?

Polaroid has a device (check WalMart and others) called a PoGo, which you connect your camera to and it prints a photo.

The per photo cost is ridiculous, it has to be charged and gives you a ridiculously low number of prints per charge, and the Polaroid name is basically dead and tainted--but they don't know it yet.

They make some medical and other technical imaging equipment which is very well respected, and that's what kept them alive until now.
Oh, never knew that. That's koo. But Pentax makes medical stuffs now too! Hehe!

04-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote

My guess is copyrights for cameras and film.
I know Kodak tried with a knock-off but got sued and had to recall all of the cameras sold.
Probably back in the mid 1970's.
It's patents in this case.

Pentax couldn't make polaroids. Pentax makes Pentax. Polaroid made Polaroid. Nikon makes Nikon.
04-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah, I too have seen news of a Polariod revival. Just a few weeks ago, I ran across another news story about a Polaroid comeback, of sorts.
I couldn't quite find it but found this one that surmarizes Polaroid's proposed plans/dreams.
Interesting if you enjoy instant film. Heck, the cameras should be dirt cheap. But I can't see it competing with digital and much less film. But there are folks who like the look. To each their own.

The Polaroid revival | Art and design | guardian.co.uk
04-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I still use polaroid 4x5 film once in awhile..

I bought a whole bunch of this stuff at a local shop when they were closing it out. I don't know how good the color really is but the B&W works pretty well and gives me a 4x5 negative to boot. Fuji was making the film for awhile but I don't know if they still are. Jack The Knife pretty much stabbed the Polaroid company and it's employees in the ass years ago.

04-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I still use polaroid 4x5 film once in awhile..

I bought a whole bunch of this stuff at a local shop when they were closing it out. I don't know how good the color really is but the B&W works pretty well and gives me a 4x5 negative to boot. Fuji was making the film for awhile but I don't know if they still are. Jack The Knife pretty much stabbed the Polaroid company and it's employees in the ass years ago.

That... looks awesome... ;( but about $2-3 per shot and I can't find any cameras... better to look into some medium format stuff to get my kicks of exotic photography from.
04-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
There seems to be a limited production of film as some enthusiasts have purchased part of a factory in Europe. They market the stuff on this website the IMPOSSIBLE project

Expect yours truly to want to pay for it in this day and age

600film could be used in the sx-70 for instance, with some modification. I believe film for the sx-70 is available again at 2-3 dollars pr. photo...

Polaroid has had a following of Holga users as you can use a polaroid back on the Holga. I wouldn`t mind one of those.

For me it is a great experience, i love it and seriously hope that it will make it into the future.

The image below was made with 600film on an sx-70. Excuse my abilities with a scanner but feel free to comment anyway.
Attached Images

04-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aanund Quote
The image below was made with 600film on an sx-70. Excuse my abilities with a scanner but feel free to comment anyway.
I think it is lovely but it would look even better rotated for the screen.

The texture and soft look complements the subject perfectly.
04-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Me.I'd gladly pay for Polaroid Type 55 if they brought it back.Pentax dslr's can't touch that stuff in a 4x5.

Shen-Hao 4x5, Nikkor W 150mm, Polaroid Type 55

Shen-Hao 4x5, Nikkor W 150mm, Polaroid Type 55
04-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now those are beautiful! I am sure they look even better large. Controlled studio lighting of course?