Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #1

Raw

One of my first RAW images. What do you think? Hope the file isn't too big.

Last edited by Naturenut; 04-10-2010 at 04:51 PM.
04-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Very nice, but I think that since you did take this in RAW that you could do so much more with it. For example you really could emphasize the reflections on the water by messing with the brightness and contrast, while adjusting the blacks to keep the silhouettes. I do love the color in the sky though.
04-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Very nice, but I think that since you did take this in RAW that you could do so much more with it. For example you really could emphasize the reflections on the water by messing with the brightness and contrast, while adjusting the blacks to keep the silhouettes. I do love the color in the sky though.
Thanks. I know I was wicked playing with the settings and this was the one I 'settled' on. My gawd, there's so much you can do with RAW. I don't think I'll ever shoot jpeg again if I don't have too. lol
04-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
bumping back up

04-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I used to shoot in JPEG all the time too, and then the second I tried RAW and realized that I could actually make my photos look like how I saw them, then there really was no going back.
04-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
One of my first RAW images. What do you think? Hope the file isn't too big.
Nice work. I see you're really learning to use that camera

There isn't a single one of my images shown that hasn't been fed through RAW conversion. I do shoot RAW+JPG just to have the pictures to browse though. Settings are left at natural (no sharpness, contrast, etc added) for the JPG files.

04-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'm really enjoying the learning process. I'm overcoming my 'fear' of actually using the controls and experimenting and it's like I suddenly feel 'free', ya know what I mean? Restricting oneself while learning does not equate to developing photographic skills. lol

I was very happy/excited about this particular shoot I did. I was trapesing through the mud along the bank (we had some flooding recently in CT and this was on the CT River in South Windsor) hoping I didn't fall in. lol Got lots of great shots and this one just happened to be my personal favorite.

04-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I am just learning how to use PE8 too so in time I'm sure I'll get better.
04-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
can you say me, which lens have you used the photos parameters?

thanks
04-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It looks quite nice but maybe a bit shaky? (Hard to tell at that small size.) Did you use a tripod?
04-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It looks quite nice but maybe a bit shaky? (Hard to tell at that small size.) Did you use a tripod?
Funny you ask that. This image was taken off the tripod as we were leaving. The anti-shake was on and I was squatting down to get the composition I wanted. I was a bit irritated that I didn't pull the pod back out but we were late leaving so I just kind of hurried. So, I hear what you're saying...always keep that tripod right next to you, regardless. lol But I'm getting there...learning, learning, always learning.
04-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexulo Quote
can you say me, which lens have you used the photos parameters?

thanks
I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you are asking me ?? The lens was the kit lens for the K20D (18-55mm). I'd have to go back and look up the actual specifics as to shutter speed, aperture, etc. if that is what you are referring to.
04-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The only picture I see is the Pentax K20D proud owner
04-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
The only picture I see is the Pentax K20D proud owner
Looks like she took it down....

04-12-2010, 04:55 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Looks like she took it down....

I did. Sorry about that. I got worried that I didn't have a big enough name stamp on it so I need to correct that.