Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ckusnierek Quote
...I got a K-m (K2000)
I also have three lenses coming:
DA L 18-55
M200 F4
Quantaray 70-300

So PLEASE give me any "Must Haves" to get going.
...man o'man, here we go: you are going to need a way to divert (small) portions your regular income to a different place than your usual checking account or auto-deposit so you can, in time, buy the following essentials without raising obvious alarm bells. A second part-time job would work too but that would chew up your daylight which is necessary until you master night photography for which you need a tripod anyway.
  • Flash(es)
  • Tripod
  • Camera bag(s)
  • Memory card(s)
  • Extra Batteries and chargers
  • Cleaning kit
  • More lenses
  • Some more lenses
  • Yet more lenses
  • A backup camera body

and by then you may have already been bitten by the limited bug in which case you are just doomed. I suggest you also invest in a comfortable blanket for when you are in the doghouse which, I guarantee, will be a frequent occurrence if you keep shooting.

04-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FWIW I'd suggest you get a Pelican or simillar case to keep your equiptment in. Use what you have for a while (yeah like months) and decide with experience what will serve your personal photo needs best. Don't run out and buy a lot of crap you'll rarely use.
04-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Don't forget the most important must have of all..TECHNIQUE!
All those equipment would amount to nothing if you don't have a good technique or knowhow to taking photos!
04-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just start taking photos. You'll figure out pretty quickly the things that you need. The problem is that each person takes different types of photos and therefore needs different things. I have an external flash, but seldom use it. I don't even on a ring flash/light, but for those shooting macros, these may be crucial.

Take photos and then figure out what you don't like about them and what you need to do to make them better. You will find that the biggest issue in general is not the equipment, but the skill of the one taking the photos.

Most of all, have fun!

04-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Don't forget the most important must have of all..TECHNIQUE!
All those equipment would amount to nothing if you don't have a good technique or knowhow to taking photos!
I'll second that. LEARN TO USE THE CAMERA!
04-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll second the motion. . .

I'd recommend several books that really helped me on the way:
Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Book series (I think he has 3 now? Maybe 4?)
Bryan Peterson's: Learning to See Creatively and Understanding Exposure.

All of those will help you SO much! Good luck and congrats on the purchase! Hope you love the camera! Cindy

CFW Photography

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
A book on the basics of photography if you are new to this hobby? Stop buying and start learning because if you are not careful, you will end up with a bunch of soon-to-be landfills.