Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Cameras on it's way! Now What????

OK if any of you have followed my other threads it took a painstaking week to find a camera I liked and could afford.

I finally did yesterday and it's in it's way! HOORAYYY!!!

FWIW I got a K-m (K2000)
I also have three lenses coming:
DA L 18-55
M200 F4
Quantaray 70-300

So PLEASE give me any "Must Haves" to get going.

I'm not sure if the lenses will have filters so I will assume no.

I'm sure I'm going to want a hand grip. (I have big ans and the K-m is small)
But what else?
cleaning kit?
bag?
filters?
etc...

Thanks again!

04-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

One of the most important things that people forget or assume it's gonna be in the package (and you can't shoot without it, absolutely can't) is an SD Card!

Some less urgent stuff:
A rocket blower (Giottos makes good ones)
Some microfiber cloth
Batteries? if you don't have them already
and maybe a bag (though normal backpacks work okay)

Don't get filters until you know what they do. Don't get UV, Haze, Skylight etc etc kinda filters that a lotta sellers try to push on to you.
04-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A bag would be a good idea. You will end up getting more than one over time as your stuff changes. For now get one that holds everything comfortably with perhaps an extra spot for the charger and a flash or mini tripod, etc. You might also want a smaller bag as well to carry about half the stuff (body and 2 lenses) at a time during actual use

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-09-2010 at 09:28 PM.
04-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ckusnierek Quote
OK if any of you have followed my other threads it took a painstaking week to find a camera I liked and could afford.

FWIW I got a K-m (K2000)
I also have three lenses coming:
DA L 18-55
M200 F4
Quantaray 70-300

So PLEASE give me any "Must Haves" to get going.

I'm not sure if the lenses will have filters so I will assume no.

I'm sure I'm going to want a hand grip. (I have big ans and the K-m is small)
But what else?
cleaning kit?
bag?
filters?
etc...

Thanks again!
The lenses you have will take you a long way. Learn to use the camera before worrying about buying more. As said by PBO, Don't forget the SD card. You'll need some way to read it too (I use the USB cable connecting the camera to my computer). Don't waste your money on UV (and the like) filters.

The only other thing you really need, is something to shoot. Practice Practice and then practice some more. Remember, this is supposed to be fun.

Enjoy your new camera. Looking forward to seeing some photos from you..

04-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I second SpecialK's reccomendation for the bag. For a long time I've had a standard over-the-shoulder bag that is adequate for a typical film SLR with an extra lens and flash plus a few extras like film, filters, cable release...

Now I'm realizing this is not good enough for my K-7 with battery grip. Way too small, can't carry an extra lense except for an old 50mm MF lens that is tiny. Your K-m certainly doesn't take up much space, but consider how you want to carry it. Do you want to have it at-the-ready when you carry it? A holster-style bag like the Crumpler Million Dollar bags come in a range of sizes, let you access the camera at your hip almost immediately, and still allow you to carry a range of extras depending on the size of the bag.
04-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Shopping is horrible.

QuoteQuote:

FWIW I got a K-m (K2000)
Congratulations. You'll have fun.

I agree 'with those who've suggested that you get a bag for the camera.

I don't suggest spending money on filters right away. Keep the hood on the lens at all times, and the lens should be reasonably well protected. And you can think about whether you really need or want filters. A neutral density filter is the best first choice, for many photographers, especially if you shoot outdoors a lot in very contrasty conditions. But I no longer bother with filters for most of my lenses.

Have you considered getting a separate flash unit? Keep in mind that nothing improves your photos as much as good light: it's more important than having super-expensive lenses. The Pentax flashes are good but a bit pricey; Metz is even better and even pricier. But many here swear by the less expensive Sigma flash units and I think the next unit I buy will be a Sigma.

Two other considerations.

You'll want to think of a way to back up your photos. The simplest method is, copy photos to your hard drive, process them, and then upload copies to an online photo sharing service like Picasa Web Albums or Flicker or Zenfolio or whatever.

The other thing to think about if you don't have it already, is software for processing your photos. I guess you'll get software with the camera and there is certainly no harm in trying it and seeing if you can live with it. But many if not most folks seem to give up on the software provided by Pentax pretty quickly and move to something else. Possible packages to consider:
  1. Picasa (free)
  2. iPhoto (if you have a Mac)
  3. Silkypix
  4. Adobe Photoshop Elements
  5. ACDSee Pro 3

And there are others. Picasa is free, and it's a pretty decent photo organizer, but its processing options are somewhat limited. If you have a little money to spend, Silkypix is a wonderful program. Photoshop Elements and ACDSee Pro are more expensive and also more powerful—perhaps more than you need.

Good luck and have fun.

Will
04-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Congrats on the buy!
A bag, a sd card and a blower will get you started.
Then if i was you id get a pp program, then tripod, flashes etc....

04-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think it takes AA batteries. If so, a set of good batteries (see the sticky at the top in the DSLR section).
04-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Bag: I use an Ameribag. It doesn't look like a camera bag.

Dust: Blower, lens brush, Official Pentax sensor cleaning kit.

STURDY tripod (wobblers are useless). Wired remote. Minipod.

Flash with diffusion filter. Batteries. Charger. More batteries.

SD cards, card reader, and a RAID-I drive for your computer.

No UV filters; no color filters till you get into spectrum-slicing.

Make sure you have good hoods for all your lenses. Really.

Raynox DCR-250 if you want to shoot eensy weensy stuff.

Read everything you can about photography. Read it again.

That should get you going. Have fun!
04-10-2010, 01:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A book on the basics of photography if you are new to this hobby? Stop buying and start learning because if you are not careful, you will end up with a bunch of soon-to-be landfills.
04-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Another recommendation for a camera bag. I would also look at filters for your lenses such as CPL or GND filters if your shooting landscape. Cleaning supplies are another important item to look at so you can clean your lenses as well as sensor dust. And lastly, I would look for a good memory for your camera.

Hope this helps and good luck.
04-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

The camera is coming with a 4bd SDHC and I have various others laying around 2gb to 16gb and myPC has built in card readers. (I'm a computer geek)

For software The camera will come with the basic,
I have PS CS4 and will have access to CS5 once released.
I also have FireWorks (previously from Macromedia)
I plan to shoot mostly in RAW and process in PS.

So basically a good bag, cleaning kit and flash.

I will be shooting a lot of macros So I will look and one of those ring flashes.

I really do not have much $$ left so for the bag and flash I will probably go the cheap route for now,
04-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks everyone!

The camera is coming with a 4bd SDHC and I have various others laying around 2gb to 16gb and myPC has built in card readers. (I'm a computer geek)

For software The camera will come with the basic,
I have PS CS4 and will have access to CS5 once released.
I also have FireWorks (previously from Macromedia)
I plan to shoot mostly in RAW and process in PS.

So basically a good bag, cleaning kit and flash.

I will be shooting a lot of macros So I will look and one of those ring flashes.

I really do not have much $$ left so for the bag and flash I will probably go the cheap route for now,
You say you'll "be shooting a lot of macros", but you don't have a macro lens!

In which case, you won't need an expensive ring flash.

However, I highly recommend the excellent Raynox DCR-150 diopter lens for macro work. It's cheap (~ $50) and you attach it to the end of a regular lens (like your Quantaray 70-300) and you have instant, cheap macro!

I'd recommend a conventional external flash.

Taken with the Raynox hanging at the end of a Tamron 70-300, @ 300mm. Full frame, no crop:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo 
04-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Buy nothing, go shoot. And Shoot and Shoot. After that decide what you like to do and what you NEED. (Unless you have an unlimited budget).

I have made at least 3 unfortunate lens purchases where if I had spent more time before I bought them realize that they were not what I need.
04-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Make SURE you don't go cheap on the batteries. Sanyo Eneloops, and nothing else. Get at least two 4 packs, and a good charger, and you'll be good to go for close to 1,000 shots between charges ( depending on how much you check the LCD ) Plus the Eneloops hold their charge MUCH longer than most other rechargable batteries when not in use. Your camera can sit for a month or two, and the batteries will still be good to go.