Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting thread. I found it because I dropped my camera in its bag and the uv filter broke, and I was wondering about the difference between the cheap uv's and the more expensive ones. Now I just want to leave it with no filter! That being said, what is the best way to clean a bare lense?

Also I love sky in my photos, do you think a polarized filter or that half gradient one will be useful in capturing both sky and ground detail? Thank you.

08-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Genshu Quote
Interesting thread. I found it because I dropped my camera in its bag and the uv filter broke, and I was wondering about the difference between the cheap uv's and the more expensive ones. Now I just want to leave it with no filter! That being said, what is the best way to clean a bare lense?

Also I love sky in my photos, do you think a polarized filter or that half gradient one will be useful in capturing both sky and ground detail? Thank you.
The polarizer can emphasize the blue/white contrast in the sky and can be adjusted to intensify the colours on wet leaves etc. The gradient filter can be used (at the same time, if you wish) to reduce the extremes of contrast between the sky and the ground. Both are very useful.
08-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Genshu Quote

It's kind of interesting that you may be one of the few people here on the forum who has actually needed your UV filter for protection - and have now concluded, based on that experience, that you don't need one.

My own experience is that lenses are more difficult to clean than filters, for a couple of reasons. One is that many, but not all, front lens elements are curved, and cleaning down into the corners is more difficult than with a flat filter. The other reason is that cheap, uncoated filters are impervious to almost everything, so you don't have to be as careful about what you clean with, or how often you clean, or how enthusiastically you clean.

Paul
08-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #19
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tomzee93 Quote
I have a UV filter on my lens simply to protect it from getting scratched or damaged in any other way. Should I worry about this, or does it compromise IQ so much that I should keep my lens bare?
I run all mine naked and use lens hoods for protection.

08-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
One place the UV will help you as regards scratches is resale. People just like to see that pristine glass.
I call it "duping the uneducated". I've read enough reports of people buying lenses whose sellers say, "Oh, it's had that protective filter on it ever since Uncle Ned bought it back in 1984". And the filter is removed, and the objective is pitted by fungi. Not a good long-term strategy, folks. If filters must be used, be sure to remove them for storage.
08-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I run all mine naked and use lens hoods for protection.
Me too. My Limiteds came with filters and first thing I did was removed them.
08-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
It's kind of interesting that you may be one of the few people here on the forum who has actually needed your UV filter for protection - and have now concluded, based on that experience, that you don't need one.
The fact that the filter broke doesn't prove that the lens would have broken under the same stress.
08-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The fact that the filter broke doesn't prove that the lens would have broken under the same stress.
It's true in that for the most part, filter glass is much more likely to break than the front element of lens, although I think it's very very likely that contact with enough force to break the filter glass would have at least left a mark on the front element or damaged unprotected lens filter threads.

Paul

08-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Expsoure bracketing and blending is in many situations not an option, aka, whenever there are moving elements in the image.

Also, my personal opinion (everybody please feel free to wholeheartedly disagree) is, that I can save a lot of time in front of the computer screen, by using the Grad ND for the shot. I get a clean, well-balanced RAW and don't need to torture the last highlight contents out of a blown file. I personally consider Grad ND filters to be one of the two completely indispensible filter types (the other one being solid NDs).

Ben
That's exactly why there are some Lee filters in my future.

The rest on the UV is interesting. I had read quite a bit prior to purchasing my DSLR that the cost of a filter was well worth saving a lens. So, I have a slew of UV filters adorning all of my lenses. I pretty much use only that and not the hood. I think you are right - I'd be better off if I used the hood and left the filters at home.
08-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
It's true in that for the most part, filter glass is much more likely to break than the front element of lens, although I think it's very very likely that contact with enough force to break the filter glass would have at least left a mark on the front element or damaged unprotected lens filter threads.
Part of my assumption is that without a filter, one would be that much more likely to use a lens cap when the lens is in the bag, and a hood when the lens is on the camera. I'm not saying lens damage is impossible, of course - just that the sort of cases where people typically damage their filters wouldn't often be an issue if one were in the habit of not using filters but taking other common sense precautions instead.
08-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I was surprised that the filter broke. It was not a hard fall and the camera was in its case. guess it is strange that I don't want to use uv filters after that experience.