Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 06:27 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm moving this to the beginner's forum, because it seems more appropriate there. My standard answer: if there was one group of settings that worked best for everyone in all situations, Pentax would just have made those the default and not bothered to give you options to change them. Asking what settings are best is like asking what toppings are best on a pizza, or what attributes to look for in a spouse.
Pepperoni, onions, and hot peppers. Don't like too much stuff on my pizza. The pepperoni gives me the meat fix, the onions clear the sinuses, and the peppers give it some spice.

QuoteOriginally posted by alexulo Quote
Wich settings do you use while a photo shoting? I mean saturation, contrast, tone and sharpness.
I shoot RAW+ (PEF). I leave the JPG settings to natural or neutral depending on how you want to look at it. I find that processing my own RAW files gives me the best chance to recover blown highlights and recover detail lost in shadows. The DR is there in all the files but when you start with a JPG, and stuff applied to them from the camera, you give up some (not all) of the opportunity to make the most of it.

04-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography in the RAW

I always shoot RAW (but not really IN the RAW. . . ) and change white balance according to the lighting around me--sunny, cloudy, night time, sunrise/sunset, indoors (many settings there due to tungsten filament lightbulbs, mixed light sources, halogen, fluorescent lights, etc) I also use various settings of the type of Custom Color Settings I want (I shoot with the K20D.) For example, yesterday morning for dawn at Portland Head Light, I kept it in Vibrant mode, to get as much of the richness of the sunrise colors. If I am shooting pictures of my red headed daughter, I tone it down using either the Portrait or Natural settings, as she can look a little too vibrant with vibrant. . . In architectural interiors and exteriors, I keep it on Bright, as it seems to have the best contrast, etc for my purposes as an architectural photographer. However, I also have played around with all of the minute adjustments you can make within each of those settings. . . And I continue to do so, when I occasionally want a very undersaturated look (which is rare for me.) Cindy

CFW Photography
04-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shoot only RAW and immediately delete any crap shots. On the computer I then delete obviously inferior ones, so I don't keep garbage to clutter my hard drive. The disk space issue is not then such a big deal, especially as I have 6TB or something.

RAW gives you so many more options than JPG.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Asking what settings are best is like asking what toppings are best on a pizza, or what attributes to look for in a spouse.
Olives! In both cases!
04-14-2010, 04:56 AM   #19
Forum Member

I like sweet Italian sausage, smoked oysters, and pineapple on mine. Marc, your answer had about as much to do with the OPís question as pizza has to do with road apples.

Rodney...

04-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I disagree, and the variety in answers given here and in all the other similar threads kind of proves my point.
04-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I only shoot in RAW (DNG); setting optimal contract, vibrancy, saturation, sharpness etc etc is best done in PP.