Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Which settings...

Wich settings do you use while a photo shoting? I mean saturation, contrast, tone and sharpness.

04-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I shoot in RAW with color setting on just Natural without any manual adjustments on that.
04-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
do you shot only in raw formats? Do you have no proble with many big photos or delete you also many of them?

I shot raw photos only when I want modify them and the rest in jpeg format so I can save many disk space. I do so because I don't modify each photo that I have.
04-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I shoot in RAW DNG all the time, never in PEF. I never have problems getting big photos when I stop down, if I shoot wide-open it would sometimes be a bit soft for full sized.

04-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I shoot in RAW only since I have DSLR. The WB is not an issue and I think that dynamic range is better. With 4 or 8GB SDHC card (or both) amount of photos is not a problem really. But I don't take to much of them, I guess it's a habit from shooting on film
04-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
Is dynamic range really better in raw format or is this only your sensation? When I shot photo of sea at 19 o'clock is for me a big problem take some lights.
04-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #7

Some time ago I was shooting on some event, and first few shoots were taken on jpg (don't know why, probably I pressed the RAW button by accident) and the rest PEF. These shoots doesn't look as good as the rest after processing all of them in LR. There is noticeable difference in the shadows.

04-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
With DND format is the same or not?
04-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #9

alexulo, the jpg from camera is actually RAW file processed with algorithm made by some guys from pentax. The difference between jpg from camera and jpg from PPL or LR or whatever software you are using is that settings are yours. You can change WB till its best and make lot more with highlights and shadows than from file already processed in camera. For me DR is noticeable better.
04-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm moving this to the beginner's forum, because it seems more appropriate there. My standard answer: if there was one group of settings that worked best for everyone in all situations, Pentax would just have made those the default and not bothered to give you options to change them. Asking what settings are best is like asking what toppings are best on a pizza, or what attributes to look for in a spouse.
04-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #11

Original Poster
I asked only which settings other users here use and I don't asked which are the best settings ever. I think that I have the right to ask everithings to other users also when you think that my question is stupid.
04-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I didn't say the question was stupid. I just moved it to the most appropriate forum, and gave you what I think is the best answer to your question. I really think you are better off finding the answer that pleases *you* rather than worrying abut what answer pleases someone else.
04-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I now shoot RAW-DNG only on my K20D, but I still set the JPEG image parms. [Parm = parameter = setting -- leftover from my IBM-370 JCL days.] The parms determine what the image looks like when I chimp it, and are the defaults when I develop it in PentaxPhotoLab. Those are the starting points for development, not the final fix.

I'm most likely to use VIBRANT (although I'm using NORMAL more), with Sharpness (and maybe Saturation) boosted and Contrast dropped a bit; and I usually leave WB at AUTO. That last is a leftover from my many years of shooting Sony P&S's, doing PP with PaintShopPro, and always running Remove Color Cast in the Automatic Color Balance (temperature) filter.

The above applies to standard color shooting. I also play with spectrum-slicing, using optical color-block or IR-pass filters for various effects, usually in a B&W image. I'll set the B&W Filter Effect parms to work with the optical filters used. Or I'll set those digital filters to get an idea of what an image will look like when I do screw-on the optical filters.

I shot just JPEG for quite a while, and wasn't always happy with the results. Now I'm more comfortable (and happier) going RAW. We should all go RAW as much as possible. Just don't scare the neighbors.
04-12-2010, 04:55 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have started shooting in raw only (PEFs from *ist DS) resulting in 10+MB files rather than between 1 and 3 MBs. I process in PS Elements and eliminate straightaway 50+% of my pics because of duplication. I retain only the converted jpegs on the PC and keep the PEFs on DVD for later re-use if required. Processing takes more time than just copying jpegs onto disk, but it is time well spent if you can just tweek that one precious image a little make it more precious! However Alexulo, Marc is right - use what you are comforable with.
04-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also shoot in RAW with the color mode set to natural. This gives me a good place to start when I get home and start working on them in PP.