Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well from my P.O.V., here are my two cents worth.
Not knowing what kind of macro you are looking for. I have only just started in macro fascination and this is the path I have taken.

I first got a Ricoh 1:1 Macro Focusing 2x Teleconverter to which I first attached a 50mm F mount and other lenses. Then I got a reversing ring and also a coupling ring to play around with. And later also converted a 3X teleconverter to make an extension tube. I've just been playing with different combinations at the moment.

Here's a link to how to manage the TC conversion if you are interested:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/57964-pictures...rt-tc-ext.html

My point in all this is that these few additions (separately or however) are a great intro to Macro and they are not necessarily costly. The problem is in focusing because the d.o.f. is slim. But it's great fun. It's interesting what one learns in the process. Good luck.

04-11-2010, 04:22 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My first inexpensive macro lens was the Vivitar 100mm f/3.5 macro, made by Cosina. It does 1:2 but comes with a matched adapter to allow 1:1. it is certainly capable of some lovely shots. I got mine for $170 off this forum.

Anemone

04-11-2010, 04:33 AM   #18
Veteran Member

OP hasn't responded yet (as I write) so we don't know her needs, subjects, budget. But here are some possibilities:

* Slight closeup: sets of diopter filter-type lenses (+1, +2, +4 etc) are cheap, maybe US$10-15, but they ain't macro.

* Much closer: Raynox DCR-150 or -250 do quite well and are easy -- cost ~US$50.

* Much closer & cheaper: lens reversal adapter (PK mount to lens thread) is likely <US$10. Only usable with an aperture-ring lens.

* Close, cheap, finicky: a thread-reversal ring, <US$5, humps one lens onto another. Tripod is really needed, but any brand of secondary lens can be used.

* Going tubular: flanged M42 adapter (US$5), macro-tube set (US$6), Industar-50 apochromatic lens (US$20?), or other lenses and more tubes. More flexible.

* Or get cheap PK tubes (US$8 per set) to use with existing aperture-ring lens. Longer lenses need more tubes.

* Manual macro lens: my M42 Vivitar 90/2.8 macro cost US$3 on eBay but most cost rather more now. Pretty easy, and good for other uses.

* Auto macro lens: now we're talking real fiber, as they say. Cheap ones are cheap for a reason. Good ones aren't so cheap.

* Macro-zooms: most aren't really macro; those that are, mostly aren't so good. Maybe not expensive; maybe not even worth that much.

Then there are bellows; enlarger lenses on bellows or tubes; a zoom enlarger lens on tubes; a magnifying glass held in front of a standard lens; etc. Oy.
04-11-2010, 04:51 AM   #19
Inactive Account

You could get yourself one of these. I haven't checked prices in a while, but I paid about $45.00 For this one about a year ago. Of course it came without the camera or lens.

04-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One (two?) of the nice things about the Raynox diopters is that they don't get between the lens and the camera, so the camera can automatically determine exposure and even AF for you, although I use MF for such delicate work.

Dandelion @ 108mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #21

Original Poster
To everyone. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Right now we're talking a couple of hundred ($200) max US dollars for my budget. I'm interested in taking still life and floral close ups at this point. Does that help at all re: narrowing it down?
04-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
Hi guys. Can you recommend a good, reasonably priced MACRO lens for a beginner? I'd really like to start experimenting with this close up photography but my budget is limited. Any suggestions?
I want to go the simplist route possible insofar as attachments, as I am still learning how to work my K20D.

So if I got an adapter I should look for that which says 'reverse adapater'?

04-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I want to go the simplist route possible insofar as attachments, as I am still learning how to work my K20D.

If you go with a reversing ring, you'll have to set every aspect of exposure manually.

The simplest route is to use a dedicated non-"M" macro lens or the Raynox DCR 150 - Converter

BTW, can you point us to any example pics of what you're looking to do? I've seen many folks mistake "close up" shots for "macros"; these are 2 different things.
04-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
If you go with a reversing ring, you'll have to set every aspect of exposure manually.

The simplest route is to use a dedicated non-"M" macro lens or the Raynox DCR 150 - Converter

BTW, can you point us to any example pics of what you're looking to do? I've seen many folks mistake "close up" shots for "macros"; these are 2 different things.
This page has some nice examples of what I'd like to produce.

Macro Photography Tips for Point and Shoot Digital Cameras Coy Photography
04-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

This page has some nice examples of what I'd like to produce.

Macro Photography Tips for Point and Shoot Digital Cameras Coy Photography
OK, those very nice shots were all done with P&S cameras, and cropped. You could get similar results with the Pentax kit lens, or any other lens that has reasonably close focusing.
04-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #26
Inactive Account

A reverse adapter simply has a thread on one side like a filter and the lens mount bayonet on the other. You screw it into the lens thread and the mount the lens on the camera backwards. Just like an M42, K, or M lens, you'll be working in Manual mode. Those lenses btw make fantastic reversible lenses. It will work with Any lens of any brand but the lens should have an aperture ring. Back in post 3, I show what one looks like and yes, I do believe it's called, a Reverse adapter. The last photo I show in that post is the aperture scale of my 31mm Ltd and it is a full shot, not a crop.

Pentax made them in 52mm and 49mm and perhaps other sizes. Other companies make them as well.

Here's a B&H link to the ones they carry..

pk reverse adapter

Here's a link that brings up several on Ebay..

pk reverse adapter, Lenses Filters, Camera Accessories. Great deals on eBay!

04-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #27

Photos: Gallery

Searching for reverse adapter or reversing ring would be ideal. If you want an easy and fairly economical accessory to enhance this sort of photography, please look into some sort of "macro slider" Manfrotto makes a couple that are very nice although not economical. Velbon makes one that is extremely nice (all magnesium with very large mounting plate) for around $100. It allows you to move your camera closer or farther from your subject, and it allows for left/right movement as well. The adjustments are very fine so when making critical adjustments to focus and composition the focus is easy to maintain or adjust.

Macro photography is fascinating. Enjoy the things you don't normally see.
04-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Oldphoto,

Could you tell us what brand your bellows is? Is it a K mount? Is that cable plugged into the bottom used to transmit aperture to the camera?

Thanks,

George
04-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #29
Veteran Member

See, I think you would just be happier with a 1:1 macro though. I'm afraid that if you get one of these fancy adapters and such that you won't be able to pick it up right away (it is very difficult to learn how to use these) and you'll just get frustrated from it.
04-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
See, I think you would just be happier with a 1:1 macro though. I'm afraid that if you get one of these fancy adapters and such that you won't be able to pick it up right away (it is very difficult to learn how to use these) and you'll just get frustrated from it.
Bull. It's no more difficult to use than any other lens. If you can see, and focus, you can use it. Nothing difficult about it.