Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #31
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
20" monitor refers to the diagonal measurement, not the horizontal. My 20" LCD monitor has a ~17" wide viewing area, and a resolution of 1680x1050. So my monitor is ~ 96ppi.
So your monitor is 96 compared to any other crappy monitor at 72.

If you still do the math and look at the res of the lowest JPEG size coming out of the camera, it is WAY more than enough to handle the resolution.

04-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacos Quote
I dont know why but i feel the K-x is not performing well in any of the scene modes compared to all the other dslr that i have tried.
Then try shooting the exact same scene, exact same exposure and other settings, with multiple cameras.

I'm thinking you've just never really pixel peeped to this extent before.
04-13-2010, 06:13 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
So your monitor is 96 compared to any other crappy monitor at 72.

If you still do the math and look at the res of the lowest JPEG size coming out of the camera, it is WAY more than enough to handle the resolution.
Oh yeah, my monitor is "easy to please" , it's the aforementioned 2560x1600 monitors that can be a bit more difficult when I have to crop.

Just as an aside, there's no longer really a standard ppi for LCD monitors. They now come in enough shapes, sizes and aspect ratios that ppi can vary quite a bit.
04-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #34

Original Poster
Right i have now just recieved my smc af 1.4 lens and taken some photos and they are either soft or blurry.
Before i go posting any images can someone just tell me what settings i should use and i will take a photo using them and post the image.
To put it simple. I am trying to take a photo of a teddy bear the size of a baby. I want a nice sharp photo in b&w taken under standard indoor low light. I will be using the 50mm lens.
I will use AV mode as everyone states this is the best one to use(i dont want to use manaual as i shouldnt need to just to get a nice sharp picture.)

04-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #35

FA50/1.4 is a little soft at F1.4, gets better stopped down to F2, and it's really geting sharp from F2.8 to F8. At low light in AV mode I would chose F2.8 and ISO just enough to take sharp photo (so the shooter speed like 1/50 or faster - I don't know how stable hands you have). Beside of that if your taking photos in jpg mode try a few combination of sharpness and contrast.
04-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Right i have now just recieved my smc af 1.4 lens and taken some photos and they are either soft or blurry.
Before i go posting any images can someone just tell me what settings i should use and i will take a photo using them and post the image.
To put it simple. I am trying to take a photo of a teddy bear the size of a baby. I want a nice sharp photo in b&w taken under standard indoor low light. I will be using the 50mm lens.
I will use AV mode as everyone states this is the best one to use(i dont want to use manaual as i shouldnt need to just to get a nice sharp picture.)
You've got a very fine lens there!

You should consider the depth of field (DOF) of that lens wide open for short distances.
For instance, open (f1.4) at 1 meter (~3 feet) is only 2 cm (less than 1 inch)!
Which means that only a very small portion of you subject will be sharp / in focus.
The FA 50 f 1.4 is a very sharp lens. Stopped down a few stops makes it even sharper.
Make sure to understand the DOF of your picture (Online Depth of Field Calculator) and avoid focus errors.
You should be fine if shutter speed is not to low.

- Bert
04-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by matth Quote
FA50/1.4 is a little soft at F1.4, gets better stopped down to F2, and it's really geting sharp from F2.8 to F8. At low light in AV mode I would chose F2.8 and ISO just enough to take sharp photo (so the shooter speed like 1/50 or faster - I don't know how stable hands you have). Beside of that if your taking photos in jpg mode try a few combination of sharpness and contrast.
Av mode F2.8 shuter speed 1/80th and iso 1600.
Custom Image B&W
Highlight low key +3
Contrast +2
Fine Sharpness +4
Highlight correction ON
Shadow Correction LOW
Spot metering.
Taken about 2-3 ft and single point focus on the nose.

This still looks soft to me?
I did view other previous pics via usb on my HDTV and they looked a lot better than on my monitor but previous pics with diff cameras looked fine on my pc monitor.
Anyway........how does the pic look to you guys?
Any advice and i will take another pic to be checked.

04-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #38
Veteran Member

This still looks soft to me?
I did view other previous pics via usb on my HDTV and they looked a lot better than on my monitor but previous pics with diff cameras looked fine on my pc monitor.
Anyway........how does the pic look to you guys?
Any advice and i will take another pic to be checked.
Read my post just before this one on DOF, the nose is in focus the rest is not.
f 2.8 at 50cm (2 feet) gives appr 1 cm DOF! (Less then half an inch).
The picture and lens are as they are supposed to be.

- Bert
04-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #39

For me it looks ok You have to remember that deep of field is really small for close subjects and open aperture. Could you post a 100% crop from the in focus part of picture? By the way ISO1600 from K-X looks really clean :>
04-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by matth Quote
For me it looks ok You have to remember that deep of field is really small for close subjects and open aperture. Could you post a 100% crop from the in focus part of picture? By the way ISO1600 from K-X looks really clean :>
Focus on the nose 100% crop
04-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #41
Veteran Member

As everyone has stated you are now running into DOF limitations in terms of overall sharpness of the subject in frame. With your last picture with focus on the nose you should basically only have the area around the nose within the focus plane @ 2.8 and the distance you are shooting. Use this link to help you get a start on understanding DOF:

Online Depth of Field Calculator

work in inches rather than feet to get an idea of your working DOF. 50mm@2.8@36in away = 1.4 inches DOF.
04-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #42

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Read my post just before this one on DOF, the nose is in focus the rest is not.
f 2.8 at 50cm (2 feet) gives appr 1 cm DOF! (Less then half an inch).
The picture and lens are as they are supposed to be.

- Bert
I took this with the same settings but stood about 9ft away. I see what you mean now. I think i was trying to fill the frame rather than croping the subject as i have done here.
04-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I see what you mean now.
That's what this forum is about.
Try the link I gave a few post back to calculate some DOF ranges to give yourself an idea. The shorter the distance the shallower the DOF.

- Bert
04-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should also consider two things.

1. Use a tripod for staged shots like this, of static subjects. Then you can use ISO 100. Any sharpening will then not emphasise noise.

2. All images benefit from sharpening in PP. Learning how to do this to suit your own aesthetics takes some time, but is worth it.
04-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
1. Use a tripod for staged shots like this, of static subjects.
Just make sure to turn off the shake reduction if using a tripod.