Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #1

Completely confused with todays pics

I have just been to the park this evening and taken about 20 pics. Upon returning home i find that they are all awful!
No sharpness,all washed out etc etc. This is the best of the bunch. I shot in raw and jpeg.I cant see any point in doing any pp with the raw becuase the image is just terrible. Can anyone offer any opinion as to why it is so blown out and not sharp.
Camera settings...............
1.kit lens 18-55
focallength 18mm
shuter speed 1/160
Ap F11
cap mode landscape
multi metering
iso 200
single AF.- i foucuse on my wife
sharpness 1.
Here is the image

and 100 crop

04-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see anything to back this up but I'm thinking it may be that your camera grabbed a focus point other than your wife.

As for the exposure, I tend to prefer spot metering to gain better control over what is properly exposed. Some find it too difficult to use though. You might try stepping away from the scene modes and going full manual to get your exposures right.

04-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
The problem is that i had it on centre focus and aimed straight at my wife.
I took lots of pics on P mode and they were all the same.
When i had my Olympius e600 and panasonic gf-1 i found i was blown away with the photos. I sold them though becuase i was persuaded to get the K-x from all the good reviews.
Last night i took some really nice hand held lowlight portraits which i was impressed with but after these pics today i am rapidly loosing faith in the camera.
I hope once i pop on th e50mm AF 1.4 tomorrow i will have a fresh start with the K-x.
04-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DOF should be pretty high at f/11 and 18mm. I would say that you probably are seeing diffraction effects at such a small aperture. Try f/8 next time and see what happens.

04-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #5

Maybe the mirror slap issue that some people are seeing. I am just putting it out there.
04-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Did you know that the Hand icon has to appear before Shake reduction actually takes effect?

And that hitting the shutter before you see that hand can screw you up?
04-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think you are right and wrong.

Yes the picture is not sharp to me as well, but no you are wrong on RAW PP, it is just the thing to do if you like sharp pictures.

Looking at the details of the picture, for instance the bench right of the tree in the background of the crop, or the small branches just above the head of the wife, I think that it is not far from what is probably "as good as it gets" with a kit lens.
You can see some sort of label on the back of the bench, which is a rather small detail...

If you suffer from some mirror slab, it is not a lot. I do not see the blur in the same way as others have shown with their MS problems.

The small aperture on a relative long distance to the subject more or less rules out focus errors I guess.
To be sure, you could do a FF BF check with an open aperture and a test sheet.

The sharpness of the picture is not strong. It does not look crisp.
Perhaps you should try to improve clarity and sharpness in post processing at see what happens. Lightroom is very good at that. Try try the clarity slider.

This "issue" is an thing common experienced by many users new DSLR's.
Sharpness is done in translating the raw image to jpeg. It is a camera setting as well. You'll find that all raw images are "soft".

Perhaps this is your first DSLR?

- Bert

04-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #8

Did you focus then recompose? If not, the center AF would have been up in the tree (just out of view in your crop).

It might be helpful to see a crop of the tree above your wife to see if it is in focus. That would confirm the focus picked part of the tree that was closer to you or, if you focused on your wife and recomposed the shot, that the camera could be front focusing a bit.
04-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
Why is this photo taken with lens stopped down to F11 while the best sharpness you can get at about F5,6-8? After that it's getting worst due to diffraction. With 18mm stopped down to F11 FF or BF is not an issue. Beside of that consider that this is a DSLR camera. Basic sharpening is low comparing to any sort of compact cameras which give often really over-sharpen images. They sure look crisp, but there are awful things going on the edges because of that.
04-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think f/11 is going to degrade things much over f/8. That difference is likely invisible.

But consider that you are cropping in a fair amount and then saying it is not sharp. That is always the case... the more you crop the more visible the problems are. I would fill the lens with the subject you want. Frame in-camera.
04-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
It will be visible on 100% crop Kit lens is not really as good to deliver razor sharp images from 12MPx on its wide end no matter what F you choose.
04-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if I look at the inset, aside from the fact that the resolution is approaching the limits of the enlargement, what are you worried about?

I see several areas that could lead to problems,
- Matrix metering will potentially blow out the small (relitive) area of white,
- You say you focused on your wife, but she is not central to the image, which sensor were you using? You may not be focused on your wife.
- at F11 and 18mm defraction around the aperture could certainly come into play, you would be much better cutting back to F8 and increasing shutter speed, Note that when you consider shutter speed and blurr or shake, the 1/fl rule is only good for the equivelent of a 4x6 print of the entire frame, not a blow up of 5-10% of the total area

the bottom line is that resolution, especially of the sensor is not infinite and you will not have a sharp image of something that is using only 5-10% of the total sensor area.
04-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Did you know that the Hand icon has to appear before Shake reduction actually takes effect?

And that hitting the shutter before you see that hand can screw you up?
I think this might be a factor in some of my pics.
I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice.
I dont know why but i feel the K-x is not performing well in any of the scene modes compared to all the other dslr that i have tried.
I know dslr is not just about scene modes but my previous olympus e600 and panasonic GF-1 the pictures just popped out of the camera.
Maybe the default settings for jpeg are just to soft compared to ther cameras.
I did not expect to have to go to so much effort to get a half decent picture with this Camera.
I am also now paranoid becuase i have a white one and all this mirror slap stuff is now making me think the camera is screwed.
04-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by matth Quote
Kit lens is not really as good to deliver razor sharp images from 12MPx on its wide end no matter what F you choose.
I don't doubt that. In fact, that's why I went to the DA16-45. But that's a different issue. I doubt you could tell which of two shots were at f/8 and which were at f/11. I know I couldn't!
04-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Maybe with that slow shutter speed you moved a little bit which induced a blurry image. Next time either bump up your ISO or open your aperture to 5.6 for a faster shutter speed.