Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Camera Cleaning

I encountered "Pollen Fest" on a recent vacation. Viewfinder, LCD, lens hood were all coated after a few minutes outside.

I can't see in issues in subsequent shots but I was wondering if I should have the sensor professionally cleaned as a pre-caution.

Thanks

04-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A quick test for stuff on the sensor is to take a photo of the blue sky at f22. Anything that has no detail and one color will do. Dust on the sensor will be pretty obvious.

I hear that today's cameras do all kinds of cool dust things. I have to remove dust manually!
04-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Which camera?

My K20D has options for Sensor Cleaning (look in the manual index). Besides the usual Dust Shake-off, there's Dust Alert. Hit its menu entry, aim the camera at a blank wall or ceiling, hit the shutter, and it takes a picture of any particulates on your sensor. If any, you can get a professional cleaning, or buy an Official Pentax sensor cleaning kit. I clean mine regularly. It's recommended that busy shooters get an annual professional cleaning, just like a dental checkup or tax audit.

EDIT:
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I hear that today's cameras do all kinds of cool dust things. I have to remove dust manually!
There's this magic system that totally eliminates the need to ever clean the sensor. Every frame is automatically cleaned before each exposure. It's a wonderful time-tested system, and any of us can easily afford the equipment. It's called: film. The 135 cart is the best sensor-cleaning product ever developed, except maybe for the 110 cart, but resolution is usually better. And this wondrous film can be found for any desired ISO, resolution, tone, grain, spectral-response characteristics, etc, all without buying an expensive new camera! Yes, try film today! You'll be glad you did.

Last edited by RioRico; 04-12-2010 at 02:19 PM.
04-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Chances are your camera is fine, did you switch lenses when you were outside though? If you did I would just use the cameras dust removal function. If that doesn't do it I would have it professionally cleaned.

04-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If it is pollen, then it might be hard to just shake off with the built-in sensor cleaner as pollens are inherently sticky.
This feature helps the pollen "pollenate" and not get just blown off.
Try to use a rocket blower if you do indeed have dust (pollens) on the sensor.
If the rocket blower fails, then you might want to try the aftermarket DIY sensor cleaners if the "infestation" is not great.
Getting it professionally cleaned would come at a price unlike doing it yourself.
04-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a Kx.
04-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like what most member said earlier is true. Take a clear blue sky picture and inspect for specks or "dirt". Dust on the sensor will be quite obviously seen. The current crop of dSLR can do all kinds of dust-cleaning thingy(especially the K-x).
If using the internal mechanism to clean the sensor fails, get professional help. (take it to the Pentax service center)
04-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #8

Even if you don't have sensor dust now, eventually you will. When the in camera sensor cleaning doesn't work blow it out with the rocket blower already mentioned or try a can of Dust-Off. Test it against your hand first to make sure it's not blowing moisture. use the menus to lock up the mirror and give it a couple of short bursts at no closer than 6 to 8 inches.

04-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #9

Personally I would NOT recommend canned air. I have had a particularly nasty experience with that. My recommendation would be the Copperhill Method found here: Copper Hill Images - CCD/CMOS Cleaning Tutorial - Introduction I have used this method for years and it is a little scary the first time, but it is better than quarterly visits to the camera shop at $60 a pop.
04-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
Inactive Account

If I was you, I'd learn how to clean the sensor myself.
You'll get mighty tired of the fees charged by shops to clean it for you.
In my case, there is no shop that will touch it for 60 miles. I clean my own, it's not hard.
04-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
Personally I would NOT recommend canned air. I have had a particularly nasty experience with that. My recommendation would be the Copperhill Method found here: Copper Hill Images - CCD/CMOS Cleaning Tutorial - Introduction I have used this method for years and it is a little scary the first time, but it is better than quarterly visits to the camera shop at $60 a pop.
I have actually heard a lot about the Copperhill method and a lot have ahd success with it.
If you do learn to clean the sensor yourself, you can also immediately address that problem and can get that sensor clean in 5mins or less than waiting for weeks on end sending it to a repair shop.
Sensor cleaning anyway is not that difficult, it just looks daunting the first time.