Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Lens

Hello all, I am new to your forums and to the Pentax world itself. Picked up a k10 off of Cl for 250 with a kit lens 15-55 mm . Every since then I have been picking them up here and there. I recently made a trip to the salvation army and picked up a Quantaray 70-210 mm 1:4~5.6(says this around the bezel) and another unknown to me at the. The bezel that has the info is missing but I seen that it fit the k 1000 they had laying around so I grabbed it as well. Turns out to be a 28 mm f/2.8 with macro. Paid a grand total of 23 bucks for them.

the problem seems to be that the 28mm does not want to go all the way on to my K10 body(not gonna force it either) but when I powered on it allowed me to snap shots. I got scared that I would damage something so I politely took it off and spent some time looking at it.....like I actually knew what was going on with it. The question is what do I do to remedy this? it has letters and numbers on the bottom PK-A/R90061524 if that helps any. Sorry for the lengthy post and bragging but 23 bucks for two lenses isn't to bad right?

04-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tremaine Quote
Hello all, I am new to your forums and to the Pentax world itself. Picked up a k10 off of Cl for 250 with a kit lens 15-55 mm . Every since then I have been picking them up here and there. I recently made a trip to the salvation army and picked up a Quantaray 70-210 mm 1:4~5.6(says this around the bezel) and another unknown to me at the. The bezel that has the info is missing but I seen that it fit the k 1000 they had laying around so I grabbed it as well. Turns out to be a 28 mm f/2.8 with macro. Paid a grand total of 23 bucks for them.

the problem seems to be that the 28mm does not want to go all the way on to my K10 body(not gonna force it either) but when I powered on it allowed me to snap shots. I got scared that I would damage something so I politely took it off and spent some time looking at it.....like I actually knew what was going on with it. The question is what do I do to remedy this? it has letters and numbers on the bottom PK-A/R90061524 if that helps any. Sorry for the lengthy post and bragging but 23 bucks for two lenses isn't to bad right?
Compare the flange that sticks out of the rear of the lens to that on your kit lens (18-55). It will become obvious why the lens will not go all the way on. It may be a good thing that you couldn't put it all the way on. Also, with anything that is a PK-A/R, beware of the Ricoh pin (do a forum search on it) before twisting them all the way on. These lenses can all be modified to work flawlessly with your K10d but you should be mindful of what to look for.

Weclome to the club and enjoy your K10d. A very fine camera..

04-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tremaine Quote
...Sorry for the lengthy post and bragging but 23 bucks for two lenses isn't to bad right?
Shhh... RioRico pounces on bragging like this like a panther and starts talking about 645 folders and something called enlarger lenses.

There are two types of lenses that are not quite compatible with Pentax DSLRs and your 28mm may have both incompatibilities. Just from the serial number, it sounds like a Vivitar lens made for them by Cosina. The lens may not mount because it has an extended light shield that runs into parts of the camera mount. It's common on Vivitars. Compare the lens to your kit lens. Between the aperture lever and rear lens element is the shield I'm talking about. On the kit lens it only covers the range of the lever. On your $23 special, it might extend about 1/3 around the lens. The quick fix is to remove just that flat black piece, usually 3 screws holding it in. The more complete fix is to file or cut it to resemble the kit lens, paint the shiny parts black and reinstall.

The second incompatibility is called the Ricoh pin. It was designed to work with Ricoh program cameras. Your lens has the pin because it says PK-A/R. The pin can fall into the slot for the auto-focus drive pin on the camera and prevent you from removing the lens. If it's rounded, it is not likely to get stuck, but it will feel different when it's installed. The third photo here shows a rounded Ricoh pin:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/87589-photos-k-m42-m...ns.htmlhttp://

If your lens is a Vivitar, the pin is probably OK. It can also be easily removed or ground down with a Dremel tool.
04-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn, should learn to type faster!

04-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
You mean I got one in FIRST!!!???

Don't worry, doesn't happen often..

04-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Uhoh, don't try to mount the lens again!

You probably won't be able to get it off.
04-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yea, I would be careful with this lens. From my understanding there is a small tab that gets jammed in the camera mount and the lens will not come off the camera. The only way to get it off is to push the tab in with a thin card or disassemble the lens.

04-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Another (safe) use of the lens: get a cheap reversing ring, and use it for macros. ANYTHING can be used for macros this way, as long as it has an aperture ring and some optical elements remaining.

Not 645 folders -- 6x9 digital folders with solenoid-driven lens mount for full movement and macros, 250mpx sensor, bluetoothed image feed to VR goggles, etc. And it could even mount enlarger lenses.

Now I'll brag about all my US$3 lenses...

[sounds of RR being painfully strangled -- last gasp -- death rattle -- silence]
04-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I would like to thank you guys for saving my beat up lens. Ricoh pin removal has been successfully performed and I have a new lens. I can honestly say that you guys are the most helpful and hilarious people I have had the pleasure of talking to on a forum especially Just1MoreDave. I look forward to helping another person with this same predicament one day. Now off to read everything that has been posted today. Thanks again people
04-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Typing the below did cost you the first place
QuoteQuote:
Shhh... RioRico pounces on bragging like this like a panther and starts talking about 645 folders and something called enlarger lenses.