Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #16
Forum Member

That doesnt mean you cant use it in Av Mode wide open.

QuoteOriginally posted by vize Quote
This is not an A-lens. This is a M-lens.

04-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Toro Quote
I have a similar issue. I do not know if it is problem. With my M lens (TOU/ Five Star MC Auto Macron Zoom 1:4.5 75-200mm) in manual. I set the lens to the smallest aperture, hit the green button and I get a given shutter speed. While pointing at the same subject, I set the lens to the largest aperture, I hit the green button but there is no change in the shutter speed. I have tried it at different ISO settings with the same results. When the camera takes the pictures, there is a difference in the DOF; which means that the lens is doing what it is supposed to but the exposure is not correct.
If you take a picture at the largest and smallest aperture using the same shutter speed, there's no way you'd be able to judge DOF at all. One of the pictures would be completely white, or the other completely black - or both. Are you sure you're in M mode? That's the dial on the top of the camera, not the MF/AF switch on the front. Or perhaps your green button isn't actually configured to set shutter speed?
04-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marc, I recently learned on the KX, at least with my 42 Taks, the EV button does the same exact thing as using the green button assigned to Tv shift--and dang, it works.

So I changed my green button to go raw, since I'm still mostly shooting JPEGs.

My shots don't DESERVE raw yet.

Last edited by Ira; 04-15-2010 at 02:46 PM.
04-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #19

With the help of Marc and Piesforyou, I found the problem: my lens iris diaphragm is broken. I won't work past a certain f-stop.

The camera is NOT the problems. I am still happy with my K-x.

Thanks for your help guys.

Does anyone have know of instructions on how to repair this lens (TOU/ Five Star MC Auto Macron Zoom 1:4.5 75-200mm)?

04-16-2010, 01:10 AM   #20

FYI, I decided to see what is wrong with my lens. I removed three screws on the side of the body near the base of lens. With the screws removed, the lens mount comes off along with the iris. The aperture ring is connected to the iris by a lever. The lever is pulled by the aperture ring in one direction (fully open iris), but a spring brings it back to the opposite direction (closed iris). Either the spring has weaken and not returning the iris to its original position or the friction has increases enough that the spring can not overcome the force necessary to close the iris. Moving the lever manually open and closes the iris without any problems.

Is it worth send the lens for repair or buy a new one?
04-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Toro Quote
FYI, I decided to see what is wrong with my lens. I removed three screws on the side of the body near the base of lens. With the screws removed, the lens mount comes off along with the iris. The aperture ring is connected to the iris by a lever. The lever is pulled by the aperture ring in one direction (fully open iris), but a spring brings it back to the opposite direction (closed iris). Either the spring has weaken and not returning the iris to its original position or the friction has increases enough that the spring can not overcome the force necessary to close the iris. Moving the lever manually open and closes the iris without any problems.

Is it worth send the lens for repair or buy a new one?
Interesting

It almost sounds like a bit of oil on the blades making it stick.

Carefully inspect the blades and they can be cleaned with alcohol. If you are this far into the lens, it is not a challenge to go the extra step.
04-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If that's really a constant f/4.5 zoom, might be worth tryng to fix it. Otherwise, it's probably not worth more than $20 even in good working order.