Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #1

Metering Issue Using M Prime (Kx)

Lately I have been noticing an issue with my Kx when I'm using my M50mm 1.7 in manual mode. Once I set the aperture and ISO, I press the green button to have the camera dial in the shutter speed for me. Fairly often it comes up with a shutter speed of 0.3". Seeing as how I am usually shooting outdoors in full sunlight, I don't understand why it would be giving me such a slow shutter. I often just have to manually dial it up to 1/6000 or whatever ends up working best (I'm still new at manual shooting, so I usually have to do a few over/under-exposed shots before i get it right).

It doesn't do this every time, but it seems to be about half the time. Is it an issue with my camera? Is the meter not able to read the scene right and just giving me that speed as a default (too bright an exposure)? Or something else altogether?

Thanks for any help regarding this, it's starting to get a bit annoying, but I'm sure it's just something simple I'm missing...

04-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had the same issue. When I'm using an old manual focus lens, it often defaults to 0.3" if I'm pointing it at a very bright light source. It's as if the 0.3" were the setting after 1/6000. Lately it hasn't happened, which leads me to think it was an issue with the old firmware or perhaps a settings issue.

Have you upgraded your firmware to the latest version? It fixed my battery metering issue.
04-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
xjx
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have noticed it too. The FW version is 1.01.00.07. I don't think it is a issue with the meter -- it should be a bug in the firmware -- using a smaller aperture should bring it back to normal.
04-13-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Huh, I can't make my K-x & M50 do this, unless I turn the lights low.

So, you set the camera dial to M mode, set the ISO to (for example) 200, turn the aperture ring on the lens to (for example) f/2.8, point the camera at a bright scene, and after you press the Green button the camera sets a shutter to 0.3"?

04-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
[quoteSo, you set the camera dial to M mode, set the ISO to (for example) 200, turn the aperture ring on the lens to (for example) f/2.8, point the camera at a bright scene, and after you press the Green button the camera sets a shutter to 0.3"? ][/quote]

That's exactly it...

It seems to happen more in bright scenes for me than anything else, which is why I'm thinking it's an issue with the meter not being able to get a good reading with that bright of an exposure...

I have the newest firmware, and it seems to work okay in darker scenes... I took some pictures at night with the lens wide open and did not have one issue with the shutter not metering properly, just in bright daylight scenes...

I guess I should stop the lens down a bit more than I am since this seems to be the camera's way of telling me it can't read the scene? I'm usually using this lens for the limited DOF, so it's usually pretty wide open all the time...
04-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:

That's exactly it...

It seems to happen more in bright scenes for me than anything else, which is why I'm thinking it's an issue with the meter not being able to get a good reading with that bright of an exposure...

I have the newest firmware, and it seems to work okay in darker scenes... I took some pictures at night with the lens wide open and did not have one issue with the shutter not metering properly, just in bright daylight scenes...

I guess I should stop the lens down a bit more than I am since this seems to be the camera's way of telling me it can't read the scene? I'm usually using this lens for the limited DOF, so it's usually pretty wide open all the time...
I just tried pointing the camera at a 75w light bulb. ISO 6400, f/1.7. Pressed the Green button and got a shutter of 1/6000s. I was trying to deliberately create too bright of an exposure for the camera to see if it would trip to 0.3s, but no dice.

Weird issue.
04-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Have you tried using the Av mode?
I know it will work on that mode too and you don't even have to trip the green button for it to choose the Av.
It should automatically sense the amount of light going in and adjust the aperture correspondingly (if I got my facts straight..I know I use that on my K100DS).
04-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #8

This is not an A-lens. This is a M-lens.

04-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I used to get it a lot whenever pointed at a bright light source such as a light bulb that even a 1/6000 shutter speed could not resolve.

My settings were
1600 ISO
f1.7
on a 50mm Pentax-M f1.7

I haven't noticed it lately. Frankly, I never thought it was a big deal since even even if it were shot at 1/6000 it would not have been a usable pic anyway given the highlights.
04-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
xjx
Forum Member

Exactly. However, in this specific case, setting a lower ISO such as 200 should work.

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I used to get it a lot whenever pointed at a bright light source such as a light bulb that even a 1/6000 shutter speed could not resolve.

My settings were
1600 ISO
f1.7
on a 50mm Pentax-M f1.7

I haven't noticed it lately. Frankly, I never thought it was a big deal since even even if it were shot at 1/6000 it would not have been a usable pic anyway given the highlights.
04-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I haven't been able to replicate this ever since my firmware was updated.

However, I'm facing new issues occasionally. Sometimes pressing the green button will not cause my camera to meter. The shutter speed would stick to the previous shutter speed that also happens to be completely wrong.
04-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian

On some mdoels, the Green button only does it's thing while the meteris active, and the meter is only active as long as you have set it to be active in your custom options. Once the meter shuts off (you'll see this because the viewfinder display clears), you'll need to half-press to wake the meter up again.
04-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Anyone with an idea on what's causing the 3" readout? I'm mighty curious.
04-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #14

I have a similar issue. I do not know if it is problem. With my M lens (TOU/ Five Star MC Auto Macron Zoom 1:4.5 75-200mm) in manual. I set the lens to the smallest aperture, hit the green button and I get a given shutter speed. While pointing at the same subject, I set the lens to the largest aperture, I hit the green button but there is no change in the shutter speed. I have tried it at different ISO settings with the same results. When the camera takes the pictures, there is a difference in the DOF; which means that the lens is doing what it is supposed to but the exposure is not correct.

Can this be related?

I want to point out that I have set my setting correctly to take photos with M-lens as described in the sticky post.
04-15-2010, 05:58 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Toro Quote
I have a similar issue. I do not know if it is problem. With my M lens (TOU/ Five Star MC Auto Macron Zoom 1:4.5 75-200mm) in manual. I set the lens to the smallest aperture, hit the green button and I get a given shutter speed. While pointing at the same subject, I set the lens to the largest aperture, I hit the green button but there is no change in the shutter speed. I have tried it at different ISO settings with the same results. When the camera takes the pictures, there is a difference in the DOF; which means that the lens is doing what it is supposed to but the exposure is not correct.

Can this be related?

I want to point out that I have set my setting correctly to take photos with M-lens as described in the sticky post.
Does the lens stop down appropriately when you hit the green button?