Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #1

Red flowers in k10d off

Hi,
I'm sure I should have posted before, Ive had this problem for a long time. When ever I take pictures of red flowers (haven't really noticed it in anything else really), the red is always lacking different shades. There's no texture to the flower, only one color. Is this a problem with the sensor? While typing I realized I could try it in RAW, but don't have any red flowers handy at the moment. I have Image Tone set to bright, with Saturation +2, and Sharpness and Contrast at +1. Check out the attached pics. I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks a lot!

Oleg

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-14-2010, 03:59 AM   #2

Your red channel is clipped, as Pentax cameras tend to do when shooting in Bright mode (let alone Saturation +2...)

I'd suggest dialing down the Saturation (say to -1 or -2) as it reduced the blown red channel. Or try Natural mode. Play around with the settings to see which works for you.
04-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #3

I agree with Sideway. Thi is a Saturation problem. You are over saturating. You would be far better off shooting RAW or RAW+ then make changes to saturation etc, in post processing. You would get far better results.
04-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yep, bright adds +2 saturation. It made some colors glow with the K100D...

04-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum first of all..

Your flower pictures.. are exposed, especially in that second shot. If you want to use the out of camera JPGs, turn the Stuff down and dial down the exposure a little bit. You can then make a few small adjustments in post processing and retain the flower texture. I would suggest shooting RAW+ however so you can fix these in post processing.

04-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Thanks for the Post, This is one of the reasons I always shoot I RAW, Flash Memory is cheap and Photoshop Elements does good job, CS4 if you can afford it.
04-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Shoot RAW and just post process the photos so you will have more control over it.
If you would rather shoot jpeg, then dial the settings down as the other members have suggested..but you still have to post process it though though 'coz once you dial those settings down, you might lose contrast and saturation.
You would however readily get this back on post processing rather than having it clipped with the camera setting, which you won't be able to get the details even after post processing.

04-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies... this might be just what I need to start to learn to post-process... I've kinda wanted to, but am pretty lazy. I don't want to adjust each photo individually, so I'll start playing around with different programs.
04-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by legoleg Quote
Thanks for all the replies... this might be just what I need to start to learn to post-process... I've kinda wanted to, but am pretty lazy. I don't want to adjust each photo individually, so I'll start playing around with different programs.
You can download most of the programs and try them out, most for 30 days. Try one, go to the next and so on. By the time you've run through all of them, you'll be sometime into next fall and you'll know what suits you best.