Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northeast USA
Posts: 273
Orbs and other anomalies

Please see attached. I must admit that this particular orb doesn't bother me that much. However, I'm not sure how to remove something like this in PSE8...or can you even do that?

Attached Images
 
04-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
Put a hood on your lens when you're shooting. Looks like lens flare to me. Can't tell you exactly how to take it out with PSE8 but if it has a cloning tool (I think it does) you might try that.

04-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northeast USA
Posts: 273
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Put a hood on your lens when you're shooting. Looks like lens flare to me. Can't tell you exactly how to take it out with PSE8 but if it has a cloning tool (I think it does) you might try that.

Believe it or not I had a hood on. I also had an ND filter on.

Cloning tool...got it. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

This is my backyard. We had just put a new fence up around our veggie garden area so I was playing around with the camera taking various shots of the fence. Once again, I neglected to use the tripod though. doh! lol
04-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
Believe it or not I had a hood on. I also had an ND filter on.

Cloning tool...got it. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

This is my backyard. We had just put a new fence up around our veggie garden area so I was playing around with the camera taking various shots of the fence. Once again, I neglected to use the tripod though. doh! lol
If it's worth anything to you, I had to LOOK to find the Orb (on the tree branch, Right?).. I don't know about with an ND filter but I can usually see when this is going to occur in the viewfinder. It looks like the sun was at a relatively low angle and about 45 degrees on the fence, judging from the shadows. If I can see that it is going to happen, I can block it with my hand (be careful not to get your hand in the shot). Unless your ND is causing you to use a long exposure, I doubt a tripod would help in this situation. Looks like you are pretty low to the ground for this shot.

Glad to finally start seeing some of your pictures by the way..



04-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
graphicgr8s
Guest




Try taking off the filter next time.

You could just create an adjustment layer and hide the levels adjustment on all but the portion that has the orb. That will allow you to fine tune it so it matches perfectly.
04-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 12
What conditions does the anomaly usually show under? Becuase it looks like lens Flare to me also. Is in the same place in the frame each time?
04-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member
GerryL's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,731
Looks like a lens flare compounded by the reflection on the filter.
Lens hood might not have been effective and did not totally shade the harsh light so even if with the hood on, the hood was not able to do what it was designed for.
Best way would be to avoid the sun or look for another angle or choose a different time of day to re-shoot the photo.
04-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northeast USA
Posts: 273
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If it's worth anything to you, I had to LOOK to find the Orb (on the tree branch, Right?).. I don't know about with an ND filter but I can usually see when this is going to occur in the viewfinder. It looks like the sun was at a relatively low angle and about 45 degrees on the fence, judging from the shadows. If I can see that it is going to happen, I can block it with my hand (be careful not to get your hand in the shot). Unless your ND is causing you to use a long exposure, I doubt a tripod would help in this situation. Looks like you are pretty low to the ground for this shot.

Glad to finally start seeing some of your pictures by the way..

Yes it's on that branch.

Yeah it was between 4&5P in the afternoon (EDT). And yes I was crouched down like a baseball catcher.

Ya know what I'm finding my biggest problem is (well maybe not my biggest, lol)...I get in such a hurry to snap away that I forget to stop and think for a moment as to what may be wrong with the picture. I'm sure I probably just ignored the glare because I was obsessing over something else. Oh dear.

And thanks for the encouragement about sharing photos...I readily admit I'm a bit intimidated and bashful about posting my pics because of so many great shots I see on here by others. I feel incredibly impotent in that regard (and I'm not even a guy! lololol).

04-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northeast USA
Posts: 273
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Try taking off the filter next time.

You could just create an adjustment layer and hide the levels adjustment on all but the portion that has the orb. That will allow you to fine tune it so it matches perfectly.
I'm trying very hard to get the hang of using layers but I'm essentially self-teaching. I did send off for a Kelby book on PSE8 today though.
04-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northeast USA
Posts: 273
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevie J Quote
What conditions does the anomaly usually show under? Becuase it looks like lens Flare to me also. Is in the same place in the frame each time?
Honestly Steve, this is the only one I noticed it in. I'll need to go back and assess the rest I took to see if it's still there. But for what it's worth I was facing the sun as it was peaking through the branches of that big oak tree.
04-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northeast USA
Posts: 273
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Looks like a lens flare compounded by the reflection on the filter.
Lens hood might not have been effective and did not totally shade the harsh light so even if with the hood on, the hood was not able to do what it was designed for.
Best way would be to avoid the sun or look for another angle or choose a different time of day to re-shoot the photo.
Thanks Gerry. Yup, need to change angles and take my time and think about what I'm seeing TTL. This was an instance where I couldn't go anywhere else but I was very much in the mood to take some photos. So with the new fence up and the beautiful weather I just went out and started taking shots. I knew it was a bad time of the day in regards to the harsh light, but I thought the filter and hood would help defer that, if you will.

I'm learning though, slowly but surely. :-D
04-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
Thanks Gerry. Yup, need to change angles and take my time and think about what I'm seeing TTL. This was an instance where I couldn't go anywhere else but I was very much in the mood to take some photos. So with the new fence up and the beautiful weather I just went out and started taking shots. I knew it was a bad time of the day in regards to the harsh light, but I thought the filter and hood would help defer that, if you will.

I'm learning though, slowly but surely. :-D
A filter resides in front of the lens surface. Thus it is much nearer to the hood's edge and the hood will not cover it fully. Also, with almost all lenses and lens hoods, there are angles, at which they cannot block light, which leads to flareing. A hood cannot be made a perfect fit, for instance, because it would then vignette, if you change between the nearest focusing distance of the lens and infinity.

In all cases with strong side lighting, I use my hand to provide additional shielding, which can improve contrast massively, too.

Ben
04-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northeast USA
Posts: 273
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
A filter resides in front of the lens surface. Thus it is much nearer to the hood's edge and the hood will not cover it fully. Also, with almost all lenses and lens hoods, there are angles, at which they cannot block light, which leads to flareing. A hood cannot be made a perfect fit, for instance, because it would then vignette, if you change between the nearest focusing distance of the lens and infinity.

In all cases with strong side lighting, I use my hand to provide additional shielding, which can improve contrast massively, too.

Ben
Well that makes sense (the filter part).

And I didn't even think about using my hand. Thanks for that tip. I'll TRY to remember that next time.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, pentax help, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orbs and flare..just a crappy lens or technique? Pictures attached. Raptorman Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 01-21-2010 10:57 PM
Night 2 Cemetary Orbs....?! Christopher M.W.T Post Your Photos! 4 11-17-2009 01:47 AM
K10D vs Canon 5D - Autofocussing anomalies ? Confused Pentax DSLR Discussion 41 04-08-2009 09:23 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:11 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top