Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Batteries dying

Hey all!! I am new on here and new to photography. I recently bought a K-x, which is my first real camera. In the last month or so I have been going through batteries left and right. 4 AA batteries will only last me 20-30 shots for some reason. The only camera setting I thought would matter is the "auto power off" tab in the menu option., which is set for one minute. I am hoping it is something simple

04-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello, and welcome

Do you keep liveView on continuously?
04-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It IS something simple.. What kind of AA batteries are you using? The generally accepted best type of Kx batteries (or any other DSLR running on AA) is Eneloops, with a Slow charger. If your current batteries are the 7-11 duracell coppertop types, you're getting good use out of them. If they Are Eneloops, then you have a different problem, either with the batteries, or the camera.

04-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #4

I bought my K-X about a month and a half ago and am still using the same batteries and have taken over 1000 shots easily.

Try using the energizer lithium 8x batteries. They work great.

04-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Is the firmware the original 1.0 version?
If it is then, you have to update it since it fixes the K-xs battery issue problem wherein it doesn't read the charge of the battery right.
You might be using the wrong batteries too!
Have a read of this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/92821-battery-k-x-...-take-aas.html
Hope this helps!
04-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I would check the settings on the LCD that's the big power suck on my Pentax.
04-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I was going to suggest the same sticky topic Gerry did.

What you need to do - go to the Pentax site and download new firmware, install that in your K-X and your battery problems are fixed. The instructions for doing this should be buried somewhere in the topic... if not, google is your friend. I did this to my daughter's K-X and it cured her problems.
04-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I was going to suggest the same sticky topic Gerry did.
I did this to my daughter's K-X and it cured her problems.
Hmm..I didn't know that your daughter had a problem that needed to be cured too apart from her K-x, having problems of its own..LOL

04-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes, it was a remarkable recovery ... she got her camera to deal with the batteries, a scholarship & decided on college, and got a photo related senior study project approved. Who knew that a simple firmware update would do all that.
04-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who replied!! Personally I never owned anything that did not work on straight alkaline batteries. So it was a simple fix!!
I currently do not have my owners manual with me so I appreciate the responses.
Thanks
Jason