Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would go with the K2000 (km) or one of the newer cameras quicker than the K100. Don't get me wrong, the K100 is a great camera, but it feels like it requires a little more adjustment of settings to good photos. Slower process and tougher to get photos of kids running around, being kids. The auto iso in particular didn't seem to work terribly well with that camera. It does seem like the best deal going right now is the kx with one or both of the kit lenses.

Others have mentioned lenses. The thing to remember is that most of the digital cameras out there have a crop factor. What that means is that your sensor doesn't see the full image circle projected by the lens. Therefore, a 50 mm lens sees a field of view that looks like what 75 mm lens sees on a film camera. What that means is that your Sigma 28-135 will act more like a 42-202 lens. Probably not too bad on the long end, but on the wide end, you will feel like you need something wider. I would suggest getting one of the new kit lenses or even a 16-45 lens to supplement this lens. Good luck!

04-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your suggestions/recommendations...

Got a call from our tax guy yesterday with a nice surprise - so I upped the camera budget and ordered a K-x in white with the lens.

It's a bit discouraging that I couldn't find a store that actually had a K-x (or any Pentax) within an hour of my house.

I hope to have some pictures up soon!!
Jen
04-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JenB Quote
Thanks everyone for your suggestions/recommendations...

Got a call from our tax guy yesterday with a nice surprise - so I upped the camera budget and ordered a K-x in white with the lens.

It's a bit discouraging that I couldn't find a store that actually had a K-x (or any Pentax) within an hour of my house.

I hope to have some pictures up soon!!
Jen
Congratulations! The Kx should keep you busy for quite a while. We'll look forward to seeing your shots and other contributions... and the inevitable questions.
We learn good judgement from experience.
We gain experience by making bad judgements,
--anon.
04-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations - you will be happy with it. My daughter also has a white K-x and it is a way cool camera.

04-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
My first suggestion is to consider if you really want a digital SLR. I have a couple of siblings who know enough about cameras and photography to get great photos. They tell me they don't want to carry a bulky camera or spend the extra time needed to take the photos that can't be taken with a point-and-shoot digital. If you're not making big prints, taking photos in low light, getting deeper into photography as a hobby or using different lenses, you could get by without a digital SLR.
Hey Dave!

I think even if I NEVER take it out of Auto mode I'm going to L.O.V.E. my K-x. I'm moving into it from a Fuji S5000 that I had for 6 years, which isn't a whole lot smaller. I really prefer a larger camera.

Thanks for the input!!

Jen
04-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JenB Quote

I think even if I NEVER take it out of Auto mode I'm going to L.O.V.E. my K-x. I'm moving into it from a Fuji S5000 that I had for 6 years, which isn't a whole lot smaller. I really prefer a larger camera.

Jen
Congrats on joining the club.. with a Kx. Nice bonus thinking you have to settle (either of the original cameras still would have been good choices) and then discovering you don't.. I wouldn't bet on being satisfied with Auto, in the sense that the camera does everything, just yet. You now have a LOT more control over your exposure and what your photo looks like than you could ever have with a point and shoot. Just your exploration of Depth of Field and Bokeh alone will keep you busy for weeks.

We're here to try and answer your questions when needed.