Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Clean Pentax SMC Lens

I was cleaning my pentax DA 55-300 mm lens (dust, finger prints) and I used compressed air in a can. I noticed it contained difluoroethane. Is this bad for the SMC coating?? Pentax suggests not to use alcohol and etc.
Also, how scratch resistant are these lenses?

Thanks

04-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #2

just a little advice, my photo professor said that you get a air canister and run it half way, halfway cause the elements in the compressed air get out. After you can clean your lens or image sensor with the rest of it.
04-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ptwist61 Quote
just a little advice, my photo professor said that you get a air canister and run it half way, halfway cause the elements in the compressed air get out. After you can clean your lens or image sensor with the rest of it.
That makes a lot of sense. But how do you know when you are half way? If I can't feel any moisture when I spray, I consider it safe.
04-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I've been using canned gas for general cleaning for about 4 decades without damaging anything (other than the environment, but that wasn't deliberate).
You can butt a cigarette on an SMC lens without hurting it, the coatings are pretty tough.
I suspect methanol might not be the best thing to use as a lens cleaner, especially when just breathing on the lens is generally enough.

04-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use isopropyl alcohol and acetone on all my SMC lenses and HOYA filters w/o ill effect. In fact, a Zeiss doc that I found somewhere said they were safe for lens cleaning too. The now discontinued UK product called Opti-clean contained acetone also. I have never used canned air however since nothing my rubber blower can't do for my need.
04-14-2010, 11:46 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I use isopropyl alcohol and acetone on all my SMC lenses and HOYA filters w/o ill effect. In fact, a Zeiss doc that I found somewhere said they were safe for lens cleaning too. The now discontinued UK product called Opti-clean contained acetone also. I have never used canned air however since nothing my rubber blower can't do for my need.
I use pure acetone too, and if you keep it away from plastic and painted surfaces, it's very good at cleaning lenses. It was suggested to me by a manufacturer of optical components used in laser applications, when I bought a beamsplitter mirror from them to repair an old rangefinder camera.
04-15-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, alcohol is good for cleaning lenses.

I heard that the SMC lens coating is quite tough. A little alcohol wll not hurt it, the coatings are pretty tough. As a forum member mentioned earlier "methanol might not be the best thing to use as a lens cleaner", but IMO it should not posed a problem.
The method of cleaning lens that I used is still the old trusty way, breathing on the lens and wipe off with a clean micro-fibre cloth is generally enough.

Cheers.
04-17-2010, 05:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks

Hey, just wanted to thank everyone for their input! It seems that people clean lenses a million different ways.

04-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I use alcohol to clean my SMC-A lenses and have never had a problem with any kind of coating problem. I think that as long as you are very careful there is nothing to worry about when cleaning you lenses, just take your time and be gently.