Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 06:29 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lens correction disabled - Pentax K-x and Tamron 70-300?

I observed the lens correction disabled in Pentax K-x menu when I use Tamron 70-300. I received my new Tamron 70-300 yesterday and was looking for the compatibility issues, if any? Could you please share your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Krishna

04-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess the Pentax does not know about the characteristics of the Tamron. And therefore can't correct.
04-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
AFAIK lens correction only works with Pentax lenses.
04-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krishna Quote
I observed the lens correction disabled in Pentax K-x menu when I use Tamron 70-300. I received my new Tamron 70-300 yesterday and was looking for the compatibility issues, if any? Could you please share your thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Krishna
Krishna,
The Pentax K-x and K-7 only perform the in-camera lens distortion correction for Pentax lenses, not for 3rd party lenses. Instead you have to the correction during post-processing.

Do not be disappointed. Initially I selected the lens distortion correction in my K-7 for my DA18-250mm. Now, I don't and I prefer to rely to the correction during post-processing, with PTLens that is a great, small and excellent-value software.

Why? I found that some shots are better with the lens correction. Also I do a lot of Hi continuous shooting and the in-camera lens correction feature is time-consuming, hence incompatible with long series of Hio continuous shots.

Hope that the comments will help...

04-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

it is very reasonable to assume pentax only does lens corrections for its own lenses, There is no commercial value in pentax trying to test and characterize every after market lens is there?

Simply put, pentax is willing to take responsibility for the correction function when using lenses they designed and built, as well as dealing with issues if found that require tweeking the characteristics.

Why should they accept this responsibility for someone elses lens?

This is one area where I can understand and accept pentax using their technical know how to support their lens sales.

Now if the aftermarket or third party lens makers were willing to pay royalties to pentax to have their lenses indlcued, that would be different.
04-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
it is very reasonable to assume pentax only does lens corrections for its own lenses, There is no commercial value in pentax trying to test and characterize every after market lens is there?
This is not an assumption. It is clearly stated in the Pentax camera Operating Manuals: for example, "Corrections can only be made for DA, DA L or D FA lens. [Lens correction cannot be selected when an incompatible lens is attched]" (K-7 Manual, p.202).

This point was also tested by many Pentaxians and discussed in earlier threads.

Cheers from down under ....
04-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
This is not an assumption. It is clearly stated in the Pentax camera Operating Manuals: for example, "Corrections can only be made for DA, DA L or D FA lens. [Lens correction cannot be selected when an incompatible lens is attched]" (K-7 Manual, p.202).

This point was also tested by many Pentaxians and discussed in earlier threads.

Cheers from down under ....
on the assumption I have the K-x or the manual, which I don;t, therefore it is an assumption on my part, and I have not read the K7 manual or use any lens corrections in the camera itself because they slow down the camera
06-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #8

K-x and Sigma 18-250: lens correction available?

The lens correction and CA correction options are NOT disabled with my Sigma 18-250 OS HSM. I have not done enough testing to determine whether or not these features are actually working, but can I assume so since these menu items are selectable?

I prefer to shoot SOOC, so having these available without PP would be great.

Thanks in advance for your input!

06-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Delexed Quote
The lens correction and CA correction options are NOT disabled with my Sigma 18-250 OS HSM. I have not done enough testing to determine whether or not these features are actually working, but can I assume so since these menu items are selectable?

I prefer to shoot SOOC, so having these available without PP would be great.

Thanks in advance for your input!
The lens correction will not work for 3rd party lenses incl. Sigma and Tamron.

If lens distortion correction is important to you, I strongly recommend that you get PTLens: PTLens is a software dedicated to lens distortion correction with a broad database of cameras and lenses. In my opinion, it is the most accurate lens distortion correction software, and ir is excellent value for money. Highly recommend by many Pentaxians.

Hope that the comment will help...
06-14-2010, 05:43 AM   #10

Thanks for the input hcc!

PTLens looks like a fine piece of software...I might indeed end up giving it a try.

I am still a bit confused though since the manual says that lens correction "cannot be selected when an incompatible lens is attached", and both items are definitely selectable with my Sigma (vs not for the OP's Tamron).

There is an added delay for processing before the image appears on my LCD. If this processing is producing no benefit, I will turn it off so the final image appears faster.

Thanks again for your help!
06-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If the Sigma identifies itself as a Pentax 12-24, you will get the correction for that lens

Have fun