Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Auto focus grind

Lens is less than six months old, was out today just messing around and then this happened

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwsvYwZpbLs[/YT]

04-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've heard people complain about noisy AF with the screw drive lenses but that sounds ridiculous . Is it actually Focusing and is it only with That lens? Does it happen at All zoom ranges (I notice you racked it all the way out). Something is broken it sounds like, or is about to break. If new, I'd send it back for replacement.

Edit, just re-read.. Warranty repair trip sounds like it is needed.
04-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It was not focusing at all. I changed lenses and at first it did the same thing. but i cycled through the focus modes and then it stopped. both lenses focus normally now, but it was weird cause just a minute earlier it was autofocusing just fine.
04-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rattrap Quote
It was not focusing at all. I changed lenses and at first it did the same thing. but i cycled through the focus modes and then it stopped. both lenses focus normally now, but it was weird cause just a minute earlier it was autofocusing just fine.
If it did it with a second lens then it's the camera. Look for metal shavings around the lens mount. Something isn't right. Either the AF is not completely engaging or something is jamming it from turning (internal to the camera)..

04-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
just looked, no shavings of any kind and nothing looks stripped or broken.

I can't replicate the problem anymore
04-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rattrap Quote
just looked, no shavings of any kind and nothing looks stripped or broken
I'd definitely keep a close eye on things and send the camera in if it happens again.

04-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks, I really appreciate the help
04-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter

That noise is frightening. It should still be covered by warranty, I would send it in for checking before any further use.

04-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, that really does not sound good at all. As another member said it sounds like the gears are slipping or something. If I were you I would not wait and see what happens, I would send it in now along with the video you took so that they might be able to fix the problem.
04-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
the only thing is I haven't been able to replicate the sound, and this might just be wishful thinking, but i think it was just a temporary problem.

I don't quite know what the problem was, but she focuses fine now
04-19-2010, 02:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow! Such loud noise (literally speaking)!

IMO, it may be due to a new lens which has not been "seasoned" as yet. After some time of usage, I believe the noise will be gone. as the lens mechanism feels smoother in your hand.

Cheers.
04-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxie Quote
Wow! Such loud noise (literally speaking)!

IMO, it may be due to a new lens which has not been "seasoned" as yet. After some time of usage, I believe the noise will be gone. as the lens mechanism feels smoother in your hand.

Cheers.
You're Kidding, Right? No New lens or camera, especially one from Pentax, should make that noise.

04-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You're Kidding, Right? No New lens or camera, especially one from Pentax, should make that noise.

Seconded.

It sounded as if the "screw drive" had not engaged properly.

Inspect it for dammage and debris.