Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
I was new to dslrs 2 months ago and got a k7. I think its a great camera and its been very easy to use, especially with the two manual dials for the thumb and the pointer finger. The biggest draws for me were how small it is compared to other dslrs and the fact that its designed to be tougher than most others in its price range. I don't think ive had an issue with auto focus yet either. But honestly, I can't say id be any less happy with another camera (which is probably the beginner dslr user talking). maybe im not fully utilizing it's features? but atleast it gives me room to grow

04-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
T2i has better features for video but I think K-7 has better features for still photos.

For example:

K-7 Pentaxprism / T2i pentamirror
K-7 Magnesium allow body / T2i plastic + metal chassic
K-7 5.2 fps / T2i 3.7 fps
K-7 30 -1/8000 shutter speed / T2i 30 - 1/4000
Not to mention a little thing called SR. I can't believe how often this gets overlooked, when to me it trumps pretty much all other concerns about slight differences in resolution, frame rate, or whatever else.
05-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After much deliberation I have decided to go with the K-X kit and a sigma 50mm 1.4 lens for about the same price as a k-7 kit + manual 50mm lens or a t2i + 50mm 1.8

I don't forsee having sufficient control over the lighting and I think the k7's low light seems to be outdated/insufficient.

Plus I have a pile of eneloops lying around that cycle through toys.
05-27-2010, 03:08 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Not to mention a little thing called SR. I can't believe how often this gets overlooked, when to me it trumps pretty much all other concerns about slight differences in resolution, frame rate, or whatever else.

Interestingly enough, when I went to a local camera shop to inquirw about some cameras and see if they had any pentax bodies so i could put it in my hands and see if it works for me sans grip,I spoke with the guy about IS,VR,SR.

He was of the opinion that Nikon and Canon not having the IS in the body was better then Pentax and Olys decision to put it there. I wonder how much of what he was saying was his opinion, and how much was due to the fact that he was wearing a Nikon shirt and spectrum photo deals heavily in Nikon.

05-27-2010, 04:03 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drew39k Quote
Interestingly enough, when I went to a local camera shop to inquirw about some cameras and see if they had any pentax bodies so i could put it in my hands and see if it works for me sans grip,I spoke with the guy about IS,VR,SR.

He was of the opinion that Nikon and Canon not having the IS in the body was better then Pentax and Olys decision to put it there. I wonder how much of what he was saying was his opinion, and how much was due to the fact that he was wearing a Nikon shirt and spectrum photo deals heavily in Nikon.
There are a couple of reasons to like IS in the body. First of all, it works with all of your lenses (even the really old manual focus ones). Second, it eliminates the need to make a decision if you really do need IS for a given lens. Third, it eliminates something that can break on the lens. Finally, it gets upgraded with each successive camera body that you purchase.

The only down side that I know of is that it doesn't work as well at longer focal lengths. However, Sigma does offer OS in their 500 mm lenses, so that would be a way to go.

Congratulations on the purchase, Mike, I think you'll like it -- who knows what the successor to the K7 will hold as well?
05-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

There is one big advantage in the in-lens stabilization. The viewfinder image is also stabilized. That can help a lot once you get over 300mm. You have fewer lens choices for Pentax above 300mm anyway, so it makes sense to consider Canon or Nikon for that, if you need long telephoto a lot (birding, etc.).

In-lens systems might be better in other circumstances, but that comes at a cost. The in-camera system is kind of free - yes, the camera might have been cheaper without it, but the camera is still a great price and very competitive in its market. The in-lens system is not free. It costs enough more to seriously limit the number of IS/VR lenses I would ever buy.

If you aren't going to exclusively use long telephoto lenses and you have a more modest budget, I don't think the in-lens system can ever be better enough to account for its cost.

Lately, Sigma has made lenses which allow both options on Pentax cameras.
05-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I think you got it right there. Sure, if you've got an infinite budget for lenses, and don't mind vastly limiting your lens choices to the tiny percentage that offer stabilization, or the fact that those are mostly pretty heavy lenses too, then indeed, you can get somewhat better results by putting stabilization in the lens. But for the majority of people who want more choices, not fewer, cheaper lenses, not more expensive, and smaller rather than larger, having the stabilization in the body is the clear winner if it isn't *quite* as effective. It's still a ton more effective than an unstabilized, which is what the majority of affordable lenses are for Nikon.
05-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Congratulations on the purchase, Mike, I think you'll like it -- who knows what the successor to the K7 will hold as well?
I probably won't be in the market for a new body very soon, I think my camera budget for the next year or so will probably go toward an external flash, tripod or monopod, a manual adapter and an old lens to try out, and maybe a 55-300 zoom lens.

I will probably reconsider when I think I need better video options and/or I feel like I have outsmarted the camera when it comes to exposure, aperture, ISO, etc.

So if the pentax people are listening heres my wishlist for the 2013-2014 lineup. Global shutter, excellent AF including AF during video, continued low light improvements, 1080p video at 60+ fps, hi-res articulating OLED screen, FF sensor in a K7 sized body.