Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I myself have the XT but it would be good as a back-up body with its own minimal lens.
It just wouldn't get as much money as you would want to even if you sell it.
It wouldn't add a substantial amount to reducing the price of your next camera, so if I were you, I would just keep the XT just as a back-up.

04-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I myself have the XT but it would be good as a back-up body with its own minimal lens.
It just wouldn't get as much money as you would want to even if you sell it.
It wouldn't add a substantial amount to reducing the price of your next camera, so if I were you, I would just keep the XT just as a back-up.
The used pricing committee missed their meeting on pricing a used Canon Rebel XT, because I would currently not recommend getting one. Instead I would recommend getting a Canon Digital Rebel XTi (larger LCD, ten megapixels, etc) because you can literally find the two cameras for the exact same price. The XT ranges from $150-$250 and the XTi ranges from $225-$300. There is far too big of an overlap for such different cameras, and I guess that's just how the used market works for those cameras. It is almost comical though because of how different the two cameras actually are.
04-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ill definitely keep the XT as selling it would only get me a 100 bucks or so, plus I like it, just not enough to use it as a main camera I guess
04-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What a question to ask on a Pentax Forum!!!!

04-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well it seemed like the right place to ask about a K-X :P

I tested one out today, what a nice camera! it has a few small touches that I liked, the notch in the grip for your fingers and the flange on the back to help keep your thumb in place, I was quite lost using the menus, but thats because I was used to the Canon ones ( on the tiny 1.5 inch LCD no less) and I liked how fast it focused and the video capabilities , so the Camera store is going to see if they can get me a red or white one in ( I tried the black one)

Thanks for all the input and advice gang, this forum seems to be one of the best for photo that I frequent

cheers
04-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, I mean about buying a Canon over a Pentax.To me,there wouldn't be a choice.Pentax all the way!!
04-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well Black's Camera ( a chain in Canada) has the K-X for 629, and until the end of the month they have a promo of trade in an old digital camera to get 100bucks off a DSLR, so tomorrow I am off to spend 529 to get a White K-X

cheers and thanks all, looking forward to trying it out , especially with my 3 takumars
04-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dude163 Quote
Well Black's Camera ( a chain in Canada) has the K-X for 629, and until the end of the month they have a promo of trade in an old digital camera to get 100bucks off a DSLR, so tomorrow I am off to spend 529 to get a White K-X

cheers and thanks all, looking forward to trying it out , especially with my 3 takumars
This is a good price at $529 for the 1 lens kit

I just buy mine today from Newegg for $750 with the 2 lens Kit , 18-55 and 55-300). I sold yesterday my SMC Pentax FA28-200 for $200. This make me a a cheap owner of this kit

Black on their Web site is still at $699.
The advantage for me to buy from out of province is I paid only the GST

Pentax K-x with 18-55mm Kit - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca

04-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got a white K-X (18-55 kit lens) with a 4gb card, a lowepro bag, 3 year warranty, filter, 150 free prints, and a lenspen for 731 taxes included

edited to add lens

Last edited by dude163; 04-29-2010 at 12:49 PM.
04-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
which lens?
05-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The base 18-55 kit lens

I finally got my official K to M42 adapter yesterday and had a lot of fun goofing around with the focus confirmation with the manual lenses, what a hoot!
05-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #27

when I started looking into a DSLR not to long back I pretty much had limited myself to the nikon, canon options (read one to many fanboy pages i guess)... I told myself pentax was out because they used AA batteries... I asked on a non photography forum of mine where I trust opinions... I was basically told to goto a store and put my hands on the cameras...

I told the shop lady what about my price range was and she handed me a canon, nikon and to my dismay a pentax... I snapped up the nikon 1st... I learned SLR on my dads early 70's nikon (he was crazy IMHO to let a 5th grade kid walk around with that kit)... so instincts told me nikon... felt OK in my hands but not great... checked out the canon and I HATED it... where they put the shutter button wasn't comfortable for me :-/... then the Pentax... it just felt right to me... I hated that it felt right (remember I was still under the belief that similar level canon and nikons where superior)

went home and did some research... and found that my father-in-law had a few old M pentax lenses... and then I found the k10d... at a good ebay used price

had it for a little while now (few months maybe?) and the only thing I could wish for is a little better higher ISO performance...

so get your hands on the kx and then decide